Page 265 of 387 FirstFirst ... 165215255263264265266267275315365 ... LastLast
Results 5,281 to 5,300 of 7727

Thread: Eligibility Rules, Okay

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Rory may have his dilemma sorted out for him.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugb...land-1.1370837

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    Rory may have his dilemma sorted out for him.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugb...land-1.1370837
    No such rule exists, says International Olympic Committee.

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    The Olympic Charter states: "A competitor who has represented one country in the Olympic Games, in continental or regional games or in world or regional championships... and who has changed his nationality or acquired a new nationality, may participate in the Olympic Games to represent his new country provided that at least three years have passed since the competitor last represented his former country."

McIlroy has never changed his Nationality, or acquired a new Nationality.
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    I think there is a bit more to it than that. This is the rule which more applies to Rory's case.

Bye law to rule 42

4 Furthermore, in all cases in which a competitor would be eligible to participate in the Olympic Games, either by representing another country than his or by having the choice as to the country which such competitor intends to represent, the IOC Executive Boardmay take all decisions of a general or individual nature with regard to issues resulting from nationality, citizenship, domicile or residence of any competitor, including theduration of any waiting period

Rory has had no choice in intl golf tournaments. There is no GB+NI team in international golf. Rory can only represent the all-Ireland golf entity in international tournaments.
    But when it comes to the olympics, he has a choice.
    That choice only exists for the olympics, therefore Rory would not be bound to represent Ireland in olympic golf. It would be a formality for him to receive permission (if required) to represent GB+NI at the olympics.
    If NI had an olympic team, then it would be a different matter. Rory would be bound to represent the team he had already represented (in the previous 3 years).

We might even arrive to a 'radical' situation, that Rory follows his heart and the rest of golf Ireland support his decision 100%.

5. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    It seems the necessary criteria are yet to be confirmed.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf...lity-1.1372960

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    That just means the BOA/Cole don't know yet, haven't read the rules, or are just not getting involved publicly in such an issue. The BOA can't really make up their own rules in such a case, opposed to the Olympic charter, can they?

edit, it probably means that the BOA haven't decided on their eligibility criteria for representation on the 2016 GB+NI team. Nevertheless, Rory, having previously representing Ireland in an intl tournament, is not excluded by virtue of that, from representing GB+NI at the olympics.
    But I suppose the BOA can make up their own selection criteria as long as it doesn't contravene the charter.

Golf and tennis as an olympic sport, is a strange concept.
    Last edited by geysir; 26/04/2013 at 10:25 AM.

8. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brazil View Post
    The Olympic Charter states: "A competitor who has represented one country in the Olympic Games, in continental or regional games or in world or regional championships... and who has changed his nationality or acquired a new nationality, may participate in the Olympic Games to represent his new country provided that at least three years have passed since the competitor last represented his former country."

McIlroy has never changed his Nationality, or acquired a new Nationality.
    He has always been British and ​Irish?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Yip. Cannot stand the idea of golf at the olympics. and that the pro circuit is from where the players will be picked is equally galling.

Whilst I know money talks it's sad that one of the few sports in the world that has a largely high quality amateur base can't stick with them as the selectees for the Olympics.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    True enough. Same with tennis and other individual sports which just don't find as enjoyable.

Pal of mine said they might as well stick in F1 in if they're going to have golf. And before anyone moans reckon the average F1 driver would be fitter than the average golfer?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    In what sense exactly? Surely no "stranger" than, say, archery, or this lot: http://www.ivillage.co.uk/10-weird-a...ports/132197#3

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingpartner View Post
    He has always been British and ​Irish?
    Pretty sure that's how he personally identifies, as well as Northern Irish. Officially-speaking, he's an automatic British citizen from birth and would be considered an Irish citizen from birth if he performs an action that only an Irish citizen can perform, such as applying for an Irish passport.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    I'm of the opinion that if an olympic medal isn't the highest award a participant in a sport can try and win, then that sport shouldn't be an olympic sport.

14. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Very interesting article on the origins of the tricolour, the same one that Danny feels he can destroy for art sake. Unbelievable! Worth a read.

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tr...1364749?page=3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    Very interesting article on the origins of the tricolour, the same one that Danny feels he can destroy for art sake. Unbelievable!
    I'm genuinely sorry you feel insulted - you're actually the first person who has expressed issue with it to me, and I know plenty with strong republican sympathies - but that's also to completely misinterpret and misrepresent the point of the work. (I should have listened to my mother!)

Who's really trampling on our flag? The purpose of the desecration most certainly wasn't to insult, offend or mock on some literal or one-dimensional level. It wasn't an act of attempted iconoclasm. Rather, it was a visual satire, if you will, the morality of which I thought very hard about. I'm well aware of the flag's protocol - seeing the likes of "Chelsea FC", "Arsenal" or whoever plastered across it in black lettering never sat easily with me - and I love/respect our flag and its purported symbolism. I'll proudly stand to its attention and sing Amhrán na bhFiann when it's right and fitting to do so, and it may even cause the eyes to water if the sentiment of the occasion is just right, but I thought what I did was a powerful way of making, not an anti-Irish statement, but a statement of anger attacking how I feel it, as a once-proud symbol of the Irish people and nation I love, has been treated by our supposed national leaders and those now pulling the strings from further afield as a result of the former's moral bankruptcy. The accompanying text should make that apparent. It's an allegory representing a degradation of national sovereignty and identity, or the shameful p*ssing all over the Irish people by people we have a right to expect treat us better, because their position of power and influence is reliant on our consent and trust, after all. They've breached our trust and, worse, are laughing at us from their perches. They might as well be burning our flag.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, I welcome your feedback and I was aware that desecrating a flag can be a very contentious matter - indeed, it's a crime in some states - but I hope I've been able to clarify my intention and placate your concern/dispapproval, which I hope was based on a misunderstanding.

17. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    I'm genuinely sorry you feel insulted - you're actually the first person who has expressed issue with it to me, and I know plenty with strong republican sympathies - but that's also to completely misinterpret and misrepresent the point of the work. (I should have listened to my mother!)

Who's really trampling on our flag? The purpose of the desecration most certainly wasn't to insult, offend or mock on some literal or one-dimensional level. It wasn't an act of attempted iconoclasm. Rather, it was a visual satire, if you will, the morality of which I thought very hard about. I'm well aware of the flag's protocol - seeing the likes of "Chelsea FC", "Arsenal" or whoever plastered across it in black lettering never sat easily with me - and I love/respect our flag and its purported symbolism. I'll proudly stand to its attention and sing Amhrán na bhFiann when it's right and fitting to do so, and it may even cause the eyes to water if the sentiment of the occasion is just right, but I thought what I did was a powerful way of making, not an anti-Irish statement, but a statement of anger attacking how I feel it, as a once-proud symbol of the Irish people and nation I love, has been treated by our supposed national leaders and those now pulling the strings from further afield as a result of the former's moral bankruptcy. The accompanying text should make that apparent. It's an allegory representing a degradation of national sovereignty and identity, or the shameful p*ssing all over the Irish people by people we have a right to expect treat us better, because their position of power and influence is reliant on our consent and trust, after all. They've breached our trust and, worse, are laughing at us from their perches. They might as well be burning our flag.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, I welcome your feedback and I was aware that desecrating a flag can be a very contentious matter indeed, it's a crime in some states - but I hope I've been able to clarify my intention and placate your concern/dispapproval, which I hope was based on a misunderstanding.
    Danny, I was just joking! In fact I found your artwork interesting and thoughtful.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,643 Posts
    Art is gay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Art is gay.
    Ha, and so what is to be said of art criticism then?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    In what sense exactly? Surely no "stranger" than, say, archery, or this lot: http://www.ivillage.co.uk/10-weird-a...ports/132197#3
    Some might think you're taking the píss out of the merits of golf as an olympic sport, dragging up a comparison with the Long Jump for Horses event ...... or vice versa perhaps?

As an aside but still on track, I wonder what the eligibility rules were for those horses and did the winning horse take home the medal?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    I'm of the opinion that if an olympic medal isn't the highest award a participant in a sport can try and win, then that sport shouldn't be an olympic sport.
    Seconded.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Thirded
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,643 Posts
    Ha, and so what is to be said of art criticism then?
    Homophobia?