Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trap out now!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts

Trap out now!

Is it just me or are members of the media, step forward the Indo writers, on a vendetta to get rid of Il Trap? Given we've just seen Ireland go one up on Slovakia will tomorrow morning's papers have more of the same? I keep reading - the honeymoon is over, he's lost the players etc. Why do our media try to hard to ape their cousins on the "mainland"? It's beyond pathetic and is lapped up by the barstoolers!

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    I had one such muppet call us the Republic of Flop today to me... didnt even bother arguing with the clown and just walked away
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    It amazed, is amazing, me how absolutely pathetic the Irish media are being. It's The Sun light, and they have an excellent audience, people who were saying, before the game, "sure Russia don't have anyone, only Arshavin, hardly any of them play in England, sure they wouldn't even get a game up in Scotland." Total pig ignorance of people who wouldn't allow their shadow in an LOI game. It's sad, and the media agenda is plain to be seen, they want Trap out because he didn't do what they've told him. Dunphy started it all when he got the job, now it's getting worse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    this thread remnded me of "the president has died......his hair"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,633 Posts
    a concerted media campaign to remove Trap based on pettiness is one thing. There are a number of valid questions that need to be asked of this regime though.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Then you have the likes of Cathal Dervin in the Star who never gave Trap a chance. He was a big fan of Venables at the time of the appointment. His ilk are delighted with results at the moment. Clown.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    SkStu, as soon as you use the word..."regime" .....you've betrayed your bias. When you see how similiar sized or smaller countries develop their young players, and the leagues they play in, we're so far behind it's scary. There is a major push on to get Trap out, it's been dormant since Paris, where all the self-satisfied and smug writers who couldn't cross their legs let alone a ball, lined up to say how our players were better than this. They tried to make out that the Sky league is something other than helter skelter kick and rush, when that is what makes it exciting. The nastiness is building against the manager.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Its a UK media style disease that has taken on here in recent times. The treatment of Stan (one of our greatest players) by the media in particular was terrible.

We expect alot from our football team, we are small country with limited resources. Look at us compared to Scotland or Wales or even where we were a couple of years ago. We are a decent team, making progress and with a prospect for a bright future. After tonights result, we look set to be in the hunt for qualification right till the very end again, it remains to be seen if we achieve it. Overall like his style/system or not, Trap has done a good job with Ireland, called up more players than previous managers and in general has the team on an upward curve.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    It's a bit simplistic just to call it a "UK media" thing - yes, they're savage over there, but it's hardly the only place in the world where the media generates hysteria where it's not really warranted (although, to be fair, rather they keep it to sport than the insidious role the US media plays in politics).

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    SkStu, as soon as you use the word..."regime" .....you've betrayed your bias.
    As soon as you accuse somebody who makes a valid point of 'bias', you have displayed your bias.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    feared the worst when I saw the thread title, but you are right.
    McDonnell in the Independent (and the Indo in general) has been stirring up sh!t for a few months now, and I'd love to know where he gets his stories from.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,633 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    SkStu, as soon as you use the word..."regime" .....you've betrayed your bias..
    i would have thought my position on Trappatoni was quite clear at this stage. Though im not sure how saying "regime" indicates anything other than that he is in charge....

I just dont enjoy watching this Irish team at all. Its worse football than the Charlton era. Turgid stuff. I dont see the future of this Irish team at all. Some will say that is not Trappatoni's remit and, while i think that it should be, it is a valid point. I would rather have someone else paid a few hundred grand if all they are going to do is coach a team of championship players to play hoofball and defend in 2 lines of 4. But 2 million quid? Pfffft. Ridiculous.

If there is a genuine discontent with Trap from the Irish media based on tactics and squad selection then i have no problem with that. There is a case there against Trap. If there is a campaign to have him removed which is founded on their journalistic ego being bruised then it is petty and pathetic and solves nothing.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    SkStu, the Irish media are in complete depression mode - listen to Joe Duffy or watch Frontline, or read the Indo or Times, it's a case of who gets in the knife in first and deepest. Using the word regime is usually attributed to "winning" nations pointing out how bad other ones are. Junta, generals and ruling elite are 3 others that convey an image that often betrays the mindset and actuality of those who are saying it. Though fair play to Osarusan for mentioning my own bias, it is firmly against poor journalism and pettiness.

From before qualifying started for Euro '88 Jack was under scrutiny by the media, I was at the Wales and Uruguay games and remember people griping about how poor we were. Dunphy led the line against him as he had wanted Giles to be back in the hotseat, so too did Giles. So when Ireland began to tighten up and be competitive, the bandwaggon began to roll, though not fully until after the MacKay goal, then it dawned on the country that something was happening. The doubters were silenced and it was only when the team began to age and wobble that knives really came out, plus Jack messed up himself with his infamous interviews! However since then there is a major market with barstoolers and non-sports fans to receive wisdom dispensed by those whose sole aim it is to sell copy or themselves. Numptys will take Dunphy seriously yet not question how he hasn't the foggiest about the LOI or leagues outside of what is shown on Sky, he's the best in the world! I would love to see Ireland play fancy football, though a return to Jack's tactics of put them under pressure was needed against Russia to knock them off the game and then we could play, however we don't seem to be able to switch up our game. Is this the manager or players? The media will place the blame squarely on the manager, with sly digs at the barstoolers least favourite players in order to keep the negative balance.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    In today's Independent:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...d-2382953.html

I would agree with many of the arguments in this article. There are a couple of things in it that I wouldn't necessarily go along with.

- Wilson was in fact in the squad for the two games.
    - Reid had only a couple of minutes of premiership football under his belt all season so calling him in for the two qualifiers perhaps wasn't viable. But he certainly should have been in the squad before that. Also Fahey has the best dead ball delivery by a country mile. Reid floats it a bit too much for my liking. I've watched Fahey's technique in delivering the cross yesterday for Zigic a number of times, it is flawless. Using Reid as your main argument against Trapattoni is questionable. I would have honed in on the case for McCarthy more. A truly great player in the making. Also, Trap not knowing that he wasn't tied to us after a friendly international is criminal. Paid 2 million a year and not having the basic knowledge of what ties a player to your country is incomprehensible.

- I have seen Ward a few times and he hasn't impressed me. Going by posts on Wolves fan's forums, they don't rate him too highly either. A stronger argument would be to play Foley at RB freeing O'Shea to cover LB.

- He did a good job with Green - likening his inclusion to Maurice Flitcroft's participation in the 1976 Britis Open is outstanding. Shooting a 121 in golf is probably close enough to the footballing equivalent of how Green performed in all of his competitive games.

- I would have also mentioned the libability of KIlbane at LB and the bizarre inclusion of Cunningham.

Still though I agree with the essence of the message. The stubborness Trap has shown since his appointment has been disgraceful. His ability to alienate players would make Roy Keane proud.

I was ecstatic when Trap took over in 2008. But this ecstasy was shortlived, when it dawned on me that Trap was treating the Irish job as a hobby to ease himself slowly in retirement. A 2 million sweetener, how bad?? O'Neill would be a great appointment but he will be back in club management by the time the FAI move for a new coach. Vendetta is an Italian word

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Oh ya, and the author's referral to the "immensely promising" Darron Gibson is optimistic in the extreme.
    Apparently, Trap's treatment of Gibson has "affected the Manchester United man's confidence to such an extent that he looks much diminished in the Irish shirt these days." He never looked remotely competent in an Irish shirt when he was given game time. Delusional out of the author
    Last edited by tommy_c12000; 17/10/2010 at 10:44 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    Dear God, where to begin with that article

Giovanni Trapattoni is making a mess of the Irish manager's job. And if he doesn't get his act together pronto, the FAI should give him the boot
    Ok then, and replace him with whom exactly? Also, given that the Independent have harped on (and on, and on) about the state of the FAI's finances, should they really be advocating sacking a manager, which will result in paying off the rest of his contract, as well as the backroom staff, and then start paying a new man at the helm?

We've become so used to Reid's omission from the Irish international squad that there's a tendency to treat it as a fait accompli.
    Andy Reid has played a grand total of 39 minutes this season, only 6 of which were in Premier League games, and didn't make it off the bench in a further two league games. You really think he would have made the difference against Russia?
    Also, the phrase is "au fait accompli"

Stephen Ward of Wolves, injured at the moment, was left out of the squad when he would have been a better bet than the increasingly ludicrous Kevin Kilbane at left-back.
    Ward isn't injured, he played yesterday. He's only been omitted from the starting XI in two games for Wolves this season, both League Cup games. He's started every Premiership game, so it's not like he was injured in the build up to the Russia/Slovakia double header either. Seriously, who is doing the research (or lack thereof) at the Independent lately?

Marc Wilson moved up from Portsmouth to Stoke in the same deal that took Ireland first-teamer Liam Lawrence in the other direction. No place for him either.
    Not only was he in the squad, he was on the bench against Slovakia. An error of McDonnell-ian proportions.

The title of the article is "Vendetta is an Italian word", which is pretty ironic considering the tone and direction of articles in the Independent about the Ireland team in recent months.

That entire article boils down to "Giovanni Trappatoni should be sacked because he plays Paul Green instead of Andy Reid".

<EDIT>

I've been going increasingly annoyed with the Independent's coverage of the Irish team and management in recent weeks, so I've sent a slighly amended version of this post to the editor of the Independent. Let's see if it gets published.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 17/10/2010 at 12:21 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

19. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    Good luck with that Tets! When you see the two letters they printed this morning slating Robbie Keane for diving for the penalty (despite the evidence to the contrary we've already seen) it's obvious that the Indo has lost all editorial integrity.
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    One thing having a legitimate gripe with Trap's methods/selections, another throwing journalistic quality out of the window in favour of petty moaning and biased tub-thumping. The article has some decent points - pity it's wrapped in very obvious point scoring with very little reference to the reality. Ward should be included instead of the 'ludicrous' Kilbane (who played well against Russia and Slovakia)? Reid should be in despite barely playing all year? Gibson's being destroyed by Trap? Yawn.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    for the sake of transparency, I've published the letter as an open letter on my blog: http://tetsujin1979.blogspot.com/201...dependent.html
    feel free to share on facebook/twitter/etc

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    It's going to get worse over the winter and ramped up to fever pitch if we don't beat Norway. I don't know if it was the coach or the players who got it wrong against Russia, they knew they had to get stuck into them, kick Arshavin up the arsene a a few times and keep their defence pressurised. The Russians were, and are, a shambles, yet after last Friday they were suddenly a "world class side" tm. Dunphy. Which is a joke, after the Macedonia game there was war in the camp and now Arshavin is leading the charge to get rid of the coach. Of course the learned colleagues of the 5th estate in the Irish media (can't call them 4th estate as that bestows something decent to them in this matter) are out for sales - not blood. Dunphy has been the puppet for all of this and the newswriters try to ape his style. He got rid of a good coach and decent man in Eoin Hand (anyone remember his rants when we lost last time to the USSR?), made sure to undermine Jack Charlton, he slaughtered Mick McCarthy, destroyed Brian Kerr, went after Steve Staunton because he took Roy Keane's spot (who then became the object of his ire when he publicly humiliated Dunphy) and he's been after Trappatoni non-stop (with some brief respite after the first two group games). There will be blood.

24. Thanks From:

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast