Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Jon Walters

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    To be honest, I was equally impressed with him against Wales in February. Worked his socks off for the whole game, and despite not scoring I thought he was in the running for man of the match

He did well for the 10 mins he played, and deserves to start, but the talk here is a bit over the top, comparing him to quinn and stapleton after a couple of half performances,

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    IMO the way Trap sees it is Keane, Cox and Walters for one starting spot and Doyle and Long for the other. Despite Cox doing well on Tuesday, I hope Walters has pushed ahead of him now. So if Keane is injured, Walters and Long to start for me.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Manblue View Post
    He did well for the 10 mins he played, and deserves to start, but the talk here is a bit over the top, comparing him to quinn and stapleton after a couple of half performances,
    You mean the person who claimed Walters was an all in one version of the best qualities of Quinn, Stapleton and Cascarino?

Was that over the top?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    You mean the person who claimed Walters was an all in one version of the best qualities of Quinn, Stapleton and Cascarino?

Was that over the top?
    Yea apologies, wrong quote, although i saw it claimed in another thread he was MOTM aswell.....which is a a bit bizzarre too

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts

Walters

Was that over the top?
    I'm the person who DIDN'T claim Walters was an all in one version of Quinn, Stapleton and Cascarino. He has elements of all three. He was only on the pitch for ten minutes but he was a major thorn in the Armenians side for that amount of time.

He almost single handedly turned the tide back towards the Armenian goal at a time when they were running through us like water. If you remember he was able to take the long balls from defence on his chest and distribute them perfectly (something which is very rare in Trap's team of the present - usually Shane Long or Kevin Dolye are struggling to win the ball in the air). And he was able to find gaps in the Armenian defence with alarming regularity. He showed quite a lot in ten or twelve minutes on the pitch, and if he gets the nod against Estonia he'll be the perfect target man for Duff and McGeady from the wings.

All I'm saying is Walters' presence in attack papers over a lot of cracks we have in our midfield. Best use him home and away against Estonia. I have a feeling that Trap is going to go with him and Long / Cox in the absence of Robbie and Doyle.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    You bypassed the sarcasm Mark, which was not directed at you.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    You bypassed the sarcasm Mark, which was not directed at you.

Who was it directed at then, unless im missing something?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    What a man. He has done it again today for Stoke v Fulham.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    I'm fully expecting a Keane/Cox and Long partnership next month but Walters' approach to, and success at hold-up play is impressive. I hadn't realised how irritating those speculative flick-ons had become until this guy appeared for ten minutes on tuesday night to showcase his radical 'cushion/control/retain' approach to long balls.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    Purely on type of player, we need somebody who can do as Sullivinho said if we're to continue playing this long ball game. Our strategy right now for a long ball game doesn't make any sense and we really struggle in the possession stats as a result since 95% of our moves break down. Walters, Folan and perhaps Best can all play that role yet all were sidelined for poor attitudes for turning up to friendlies to which I support Traps omission of them. I'd welcome Walters given a chance in the team if and only if he's turned a corner with his attitude.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts

Walterss

Quote Originally Posted by Murfinator View Post
    Purely on type of player, we need somebody who can do as Sullivinho said if we're to continue playing this long ball game. Our strategy right now for a long ball game doesn't make any sense and we really struggle in the possession stats as a result since 95% of our moves break down. Walters, Folan and perhaps Best can all play that role yet all were sidelined for poor attitudes for turning up to friendlies to which I support Traps omission of them. I'd welcome Walters given a chance in the team if and only if he's turned a corner with his attitude.

All three big men sidlined for poor attitudes. Something in that perhaps? Maybe they were left out of the attacking moves on the training ground? Maybe they could see that Trap has no plans for them in his scheme?
    Who knows? Might explain the poor attitude? Hopefully it's behind them now. Walters should start and Best deserves a place in squad.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    id be happy to wait and see how best gets on by the end of the season to be honest, still time to be in the Euros were we to qualify then.

Im not sure i see best as a consistent(long) form type player.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    All three big men sidlined for poor attitudes. Something in that perhaps? Maybe they were left out of the attacking moves on the training ground? Maybe they could see that Trap has no plans for them in his scheme?
    Maybe that's a load of bull.
    Who knows? Might explain the poor attitude?
    Most likely it doesn't.
    Hopefully it's behind them now. Walters should start and Best deserves a place in squad.
    With only 4 forwards in the squad, the competition for a squad place has seldom been hotter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Great point Geysir. A little thought thing from Ireland fans, I humbly think, is the value of competiton for places on the squad.
    "True Competition breeds success," said some dead guy of note. But it is true, especially for Euro 2012 squads, like ours.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    The more Walters plays the more Trap will like him I reckon. The main issue is his availability to play. If trap can count on him to show up even if carrying slight knocks then I reckon he will start alot of games.

He can hold it up, he can lead the line, he can run the channels, he will defend from the front, in essence he is perfect for this irish team. Walters is way ahead of Doyle in terms of form right now and dare i say it, there not much between them in terms of ability either. When you take away effort and enthusiasm from Doyles game there is not alot there.

We are decently stocked with Strikers right now so it looks good for the future. But for the love of god Trap, pick Leon Best in the squad instead of Andy Keogh.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    [QUOTE=Strongbow10;1544978]He can hold it up, he can lead the line, he can run the channels, he will defend from the front, in essence he is perfect for this irish team. Walters is way ahead of Doyle in terms of form right now and dare i say it, there not much between them in terms of ability either. When you take away effort and enthusiasm from Doyles game there is not alot there.

There bloody is a lot there, including a fantastic ability to beat the first man nearly every time he has the ball. Doylers a bit off form, yeah but he's a wonderful player. Surely he's allowed a rough patch.
    Le monde est a nous

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    [QUOTE=Fizzer;1545238]
    Quote Originally Posted by Strongbow10 View Post
    He can hold it up, he can lead the line, he can run the channels, he will defend from the front, in essence he is perfect for this irish team. Walters is way ahead of Doyle in terms of form right now and dare i say it, there not much between them in terms of ability either. When you take away effort and enthusiasm from Doyles game there is not alot there.

There bloody is a lot there, including a fantastic ability to beat the first man nearly every time he has the ball. Doylers a bit off form, yeah but he's a wonderful player. Surely he's allowed a rough patch.
    ah we will just have to agree to differ. Doyle is a good player, he has his merits, but he has his limitations aswell in fairness.

When his work ethic is spot on he is a real asset. When he looks disinterested and frustrated like he has in his last few games for Ireland then his lack of goal threat comes under real scrutiny I feel.

Whatever about Robbie, he gets slated for some of his performances but he provides crucial goals at times. If Doyle isn't scoring he better be working his ass off, and he hasn't looked himself for the last 3-4 games.

Walters is the form player right now and its up to him to make that spot his.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Walters just scored a peno for stoke against Newcastle it's now 1-2.
    It was quite funny, he really leathered it right at the keeper who only just managed to get out of the way.
    Demba Ba got the other two.
    He just got a 3rd (peno) so now 1-3.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    It was one awful game to watch. The 1/2 time entertainment came via the Romanian tv stream which showed the fan attack on a Steaua player and the resulting mayhem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    516 Posts
    I quite enjoyed it actually!

Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast