Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 9 of 95 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: Player eligibility row

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nedser View Post
    AFAIK, Ireland is the only country in the world whose international football team has to be different to the name of the state.
    The Republic of China are known as Chinese Taipei by FIFA.

(link)
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holidaysong View Post
    The Republic of China are known as Chinese Taipei by FIFA.

(link)
    Fair point, but again because of political pressure from a powerful country (China in this case), rather than because of a need to avoid confusion between two teams of similar names.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    As a proof of identity, just as Mr.P wrote.
    True, but I notice that particular excerpt is entitled "Verification of the Players’ Identities" - is there by any chance a separate section regarding verifying players' eligibility for a team? It's very curious that they insist on a passport rather than some other government-issued ID document, e.g. Driving Licence. Generally speaking, you only need to produce a passport when you have to prove your nationality as well as identity.

Anyway, the fact remains that Tony Cascarino claims he had to get an Irish passport or would no longer be eligible, and even Mr Parker mentioned that FIFA were trying to insist the NI players hold British passports a few years ago. As such, even though it's not stated in that particular rule, there is evidence that FIFA have used passports to verify players' nationality. And common sense alone will tell you that FIFA would require some sort of proof of nationality, I simply don't believe they just make the assumption that players are eligible unless someone objects.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,316 Posts
    True, but I notice that particular excerpt is entitled "Verification of the Players’ Identities" - is there by any chance a separate section regarding verifying players' eligibility for a team?
    Possibly, I only did a brief search
    And common sense alone will tell you that FIFA would require some sort of proof of nationality, I simply don't believe they just make the assumption that players are eligible unless someone objects.
    They did bring in some ruling when Qatar started handing out passports to Brazilians playing in the national league, also if they just made the assumption a player was eligible, Franck Quedrue and Anthony Gerrard would probably have been capped
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    True, but I notice that particular excerpt is entitled "Verification of the Players’ Identities" - is there by any chance a separate section regarding verifying players' eligibility for a team? It's very curious that they insist on a passport rather than some other government-issued ID document, e.g. Driving Licence. Generally speaking, you only need to produce a passport when you have to prove your nationality as well as identity.
    There is a separate section dealing with eligibility, the much debated eligibility statutes
    Re the passport id thing, either FIFA gave out the instruction that the player must produce the passport of the team he is playing for, or the IFA instructed (or both) that their players must have a UK passport. Either way FIFA adjusted to the Irish situation to accept that a player can have the "wrong" passport and still be fully eligible.
    Remember, a passport is not proof of eligibility. The federation have to be responsible for eligibility.
    Anyway, the fact remains that Tony Cascarino claims he had to get an Irish passport or would no longer be eligible, and even Mr Parker mentioned that FIFA were trying to insist the NI players hold British passports a few years ago. As such, even though it's not stated in that particular rule, there is evidence that FIFA have used passports to verify players' nationality. And common sense alone will tell you that FIFA would require some sort of proof of nationality, I simply don't believe they just make the assumption that players are eligible unless someone objects
    Cas was not eligible until he became a citizen. NI born are already citizens.
    Cas acquired an Irish nationality and maybe it is understood or required that he should have successfully obtained an Irish passport as proof of his acquired nationality.
    Probably seeing as there are different hurdles (depending on connection to Ireland) that a foreign born person has to go through in order to qualify for citizenship.
    A certificate of citizenship is the minimalist proof of having obtained citizenship.
    Last edited by geysir; 28/02/2010 at 8:28 AM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    560 Posts
    It is time to return to one team representing the Island of Ireland. We do not have all this aggro with the Rugby team as to who plays for who.

With one team representing Ireland all this aggro about who plays for who will go away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    As a proof of identity, just as Mr.P wrote.
    Indeed but they just won't listen. I gave a list of all FIFA documents because to understand and follow this whole debate you need to read many of them and indeed FIFA Circulars too. You can't just cherry pick one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    The reason a passport is used is because it is a internationally recognised document. Driving Licences etc are not.

Anyway, the fact remains that Tony Cascarino claims he had to get an Irish passport or would no longer be eligible, and even Mr Parker mentioned that FIFA were trying to insist the NI players hold British passports a few years ago. As such, even though it's not stated in that particular rule, there is evidence that FIFA have used passports to verify players' nationality. And common sense alone will tell you that FIFA would require some sort of proof of nationality, I simply don't believe they just make the assumption that players are eligible unless someone objects.
    You are mistaken. I stated that it was the IFA who tried to insist on British Passports. It was FIFA's intervention at the request of the Irish Government that clarified the situation. As for your "common sense" arguement, I suggest you read through the documents I supplied in the link. You will see that the onus is on the national associations to ensure eligibility, not FIFA to ensure it. Only if this is challanged by opponents eligibilty needs proved. Try this years World Cup regs as an example.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    227 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    Why should we stop recruiting Irish born players? And listen to the Linfield 'fans' at tonights match against St Pats. No hope for these people. Rule Britannia against St Pats. Phythonesque stuff. You could hear the English commentator starting to cringe.
    What has an eligibility dispute between the IFA and FAI (the subject of this thread, incidentally) got to do with the behaviour of a section of the fans of a club?
    You might deplore such behaviour, as I do, but it is hardly illegal. Nor is it any different in essence from eg the behaviour of some of the ROI support in and around the Israel game a couple of years back (Remember the thread "Tonight I was Ashamed to be Irish"?).
    Or, in order to be consistent, would you contend that players should also not represent ROI?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    It is time to return to one team representing the Island of Ireland. We do not have all this aggro with the Rugby team as to who plays for who.

With one team representing Ireland all this aggro about who plays for who will go away.
    Completely agree and I sense that the overwhelming majority of people North and South might also regard this a sensible and acceptable way forward. NI simply cannot compell players to play for them against their will, and dont seem to understand that it is increasingly unlikely that nationalists from the North will choose to play for a team that represents a state (and a football / cultural entity) that still has difficulty recognising their identity and heritage. Of course the idea of an All Ireland team may seem equally unpalatable to some Northern Unionists, but there is a difference. The Irish football team (like the Rugby team) would not be representing any specific political or national jurisdiction. It should be neutral and inclusive of both states, in a way that the NI team has failed to establish a neutrality / inclusiveness with respect to its constituent traditions.

We need to diffuse the increasingly ugly and sectarian edge to international football in Ireland. What depresses me more than anything is the way that both national jersey's are being worn in the North as emblems of political and sectarian affiliation.

I know from previous threads that this will provoke EG and GR into apoplectic rage, but after GFF we need to be pragmatic and imaginative in the way that tradiitions are recognised in Ireland and spaces created where traditional loyalties and animosities can be broken down. Of course NI's existence is guaranteed under GFF (so long as a majority up there want it) and that should entitle them to a national football team, but life and relationships are more complicated than that. The fact that Unionism has established the legitimacy of its political position, might actually be an argument in favour of a bit of give in the area of sport, especially as the current position is in danger of proving unsustainable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Why did Neil Lennon quit international football?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    Completely agree and I sense that the overwhelming majority of people North and South might also regard this a sensible and acceptable way forward. NI simply cannot compell players to play for them against their will, and dont seem to understand that it is increasingly unlikely that nationalists from the North will choose to play for a team that represents a state (and a football / cultural entity) that still has difficulty recognising their identity and heritage. Of course the idea of an All Ireland team may seem equally unpalatable to some Northern Unionists, but there is a difference. The Irish football team (like the Rugby team) would not be representing any specific political or national jurisdiction. It should be neutral and inclusive of both states, in a way that the NI team has failed to establish a neutrality / inclusiveness with respect to its constituent traditions.

We need to diffuse the increasingly ugly and sectarian edge to international football in Ireland. What depresses me more than anything is the way that both national jersey's are being worn in the North as emblems of political and sectarian affiliation.

I know from previous threads that this will provoke EG and GR into apoplectic rage, but after GFF we need to be pragmatic and imaginative in the way that tradiitions are recognised in Ireland and spaces created where traditional loyalties and animosities can be broken down. Of course NI's existence is guaranteed under GFF (so long as a majority up there want it) and that should entitle them to a national football team, but life and relationships are more complicated than that. The fact that Unionism has established the legitimacy of its political position, might actually be an argument in favour of a bit of give in the area of sport, especially as the current position is in danger of proving unsustainable.
    Sensible response but likely to upset usual paranoid suspects, who just want a team for their own convenience.

And kk, presume not a serious question. If it is, rather than adding to the repetition on here, Google it....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,636 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    What has an eligibility dispute between the IFA and FAI (the subject of this thread, incidentally) got to do with the behaviour of a section of the fans of a club?
    if you cannot see the connect then you should expect a few more Gibsons, Wilsons etc in the coming years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    If you are born in the island of Ireland, then you should be allowed to play for Ireland IMO

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    To be fair Senor, think he was being ironic?

And response re.Tuesday noted.
    Ooops! Good example that you should read all the posts on a thread.
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    You might deplore such behaviour, as I do, but it is hardly illegal. Nor is it any different in essence from eg the behaviour of some of the ROI support in and around the Israel game a couple of years back (Remember the thread "Tonight I was Ashamed to be Irish"?).
    Or, in order to be consistent, would you contend that players should also not represent ROI?
    If things were as bad as you are trying to make out - which they weren't - I'd excuse any Jewish Irishman who would want to play for/or support Israel instead. Does that satisfy your question?

Fact is a bunch of nazis - I know you don't have any racists or anti-semites in Unionist O6C - doesn't compare with a concerted campaign against players of a certain religion and/or views on the political destiny of Northern Ireland and/or football club in Scotland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Interview with Patrick Nelson, IFA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxwg4mD0sOg

Favourite quote in that video is; "we want Fifa to uphold their own statutes as we read them".

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post

Favourite quote in that video is; "we want Fifa to uphold their own statutes as we read them".
    Is he a 'plastic' or a 'Maik Taylor'? Might even be EG.

Feeling they are being treated unfairly compared with other associations. Nurse? My sides! How many other associations can get to approach players that have moved to another 'country'? If he wants to protect his investment - sounds like he's talking about Chicken George and Kunta Kinte rather than a young footballer - then get FIFA to change the rules.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post

Did the IFA tell Tony Kane that they didnt want him because he had already played for the Republic under 21s or do they only want to stop players going one way?
    Last edited by Razors left peg; 28/02/2010 at 8:01 PM.
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Did the IFA tell Michael Kane that they didnt want him because he had already played for the Republic under 21s or do they only want to stop players going one way?
    Tony

Marc Wilson today insisted that the players should be allowed decide whether they want to
    play for the North or us. 100% agree with you Marc.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/8542085.stm
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 28/02/2010 at 7:22 PM.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Page 9 of 95 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast