Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rovers chairman pleads for support

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts

Rovers chairman pleads for support

A RALLYING cry to all Sligo Rovers supporters, active and passive, to lend a hand to forge a “new beginning” for the club has been issued by club chairman, Doctor Dermot Kelly.

Dr Kelly said that the club was at a “hugely important juncture” and there was a need to “engage with the community and instigate a meaningful debate as to where the club is going”.

“We must move on from previous mistakes and difficulties. The excuse that something happened in the past that prevents future involvement unnecessarily delays progress.”

He also said that the workload at the club was simply beyond the capacity of a voluntary management committee of 10 or so people.

The chairman was speaking in advance of a major forum to discuss plans for the 2010 season, to be held at 5.30pm on Sunday, January 31, in the Clarion Hotel.

Read more
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman View Post
    Dr Kelly said that the club was at a “hugely important juncture” and there was a need to “engage with the community and instigate a meaningful debate as to where the club is going”.

He also said that the workload at the club was simply beyond the capacity of a voluntary management committee of 10 or so people.
    In other words they are looking to scalp the fans for more money. I'm not surprised they find the workload too much, they haven't had a comittee meeting for over two months, that bigwig chairman will not even go to games when the rugger is on

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peachey View Post
    In other words they are looking to scalp the fans for more money. I'm not surprised they find the workload too much, they haven't had a comittee meeting for over two months, that bigwig chairman will not even go to games when the rugger is on
    Will you get involved?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Nice positive contribution from Peachey for a change.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Smile

i seriously think, no i'm sure that "peachey" is a rotten bananna ! there is an open invitiation to everybody who has sligo rovers football club at heart to attend the up and comming forum. as somebody who is very much involved with the club i can assure you that for the club to move forward we need more help. we need to increase our 400 club membership, we need to increase the number of season tickets we sell, we need sponsorship on match days, we need to increase membership in the "john chadda fund" but above all we need to increase the number of people comming through the gate. as i said before no more snide comments (those who make them are not true supporters) for the club to progress we need to act as a team. there is certainly potential there but only hard work will bring results. results off the field (i.e making the club more stable financially)will lead to positive results on the field.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by red arrow View Post
    i seriously think, no i'm sure that "peachey" is a rotten bananna ! .
    There is really no need for infantile insults, just because someone challanges the cosy consenous that everyone at the club is a hero and everything is wonderfull. I'll call things as I see them, this is a forum for debate I thought, I may not agree with a lot of people on here but I respect their opinions without resorting to petty name calling

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by red arrow View Post
    i seriously think, no i'm sure that "peachey" is a rotten bananna
    I don't think so, but he looks like a member of that demographic (letter-writers to newspapers, callers to Joe Duffy) who only get exercised enough to comment on something if they're not annoyed/offended/indignant/outraged-Joe about it. I know lots of people who have an equal amount of positive and negative viewpoints, but you mostly get to hear about only one side of it.

No news is good news, as the saying goes. Maybe to see Peachey's sunnier side, you'll have to go and count the posts he hasn't made.
    "Even if the wind stops to blow
    Even if the sea ceases to flow
    Even if the sun ceases to rise
    The name of Sligo Rovers will shine and shine forever like the morning star glittering in the sky."

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peachey View Post
    To be honest, if he'd prefer to be of watching a game of tiddlywinks rather that the Rovers I don't mind, as long as the club is being run right and he is doing a good job - thats all that matters. Which seems to be the case!
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    its his job as chairman to keep the club anf its finances intact and to be at every game, at home at least. ive seen him about 5 times in the showgrounds in the last year. he cant run the club from dublin

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    i think cf has a fair point, exactly how much effort can ya put in if 130 miles away. a chairman should be the one putting in that little bit more effort than everyone else imo.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rovers100% View Post
    i think cf has a fair point, exactly how much effort can ya put in if 130 miles away. a chairman should be the one putting in that little bit more effort than everyone else imo.
    We dont know how the set-up is currently working so it's prob too early to comment on the chairman being effective from afar. It might be the case that he is using some contacts and tapping into financial support in the dublin area, beit getting people into club 400, lottery, etc etc. The committee dont always meet week in week out but even then it would be easy enough for him to be in sligo once a week. I'm sure someone will ask the question at the open forum. He should be going to every game alright as the figure head of the club. I cant say i always see everyone i know at a game despite them being there so maybe he is going to them all. Peachey seems to know more about the chairman so maybe i'm wrong.
    "Excuses are the nails used to build a house of failure"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    My knowledge of the MC is that the officers met a couple of times during the season(4-5) in Longford. We will probably here more details at the fans forum. But it certainly is a good question.
    I have scattered my dreams underneath your feet, tread carefully, cos it's my dreams you walk on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Vincent Nally, Fergal Keaveney , Keith O Dwyer , Kevin Lydon , Dermot Brannigan are looking after things very well on the ground in Sligo.
    The chairman is a figurehead and I personally dont feel we are disadvantaged by him being in Dublin.
    I know for a fact that rovers have got serious sponsorship via Dermot Kelly in dublin and we are in good shape on and off the pitch at the moment.
    I dont think the man city fans are giving out that the owner is not living in eastlands or chelseas owner not living in london.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sligored View Post
    Vincent Nally, Fergal Keaveney , Keith O Dwyer , Kevin Lydon , Dermot Brannigan are looking after things very well on the ground in Sligo.
    The chairman is a figurehead and I personally dont feel we are disadvantaged by him being in Dublin.
    I know for a fact that rovers have got serious sponsorship via Dermot Kelly in dublin and we are in good shape on and off the pitch at the moment.
    I dont think the man city fans are giving out that the owner is not living in eastlands or chelseas owner not living in london.
    Spot on. The club has never been run in a more professional manner than it has been over the past year or so.

Some people would start a row in an empty room.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    don't understand what the issue is either, dont think it makes a bit of difference whether he goes to the games or not,

the clubs never been run better

dont know if anyone noticed but nearly every other club in the LOI is either in crisis, or has one coming round the corner, how raising the point at the open fourm would be of any benefit to the club is beyond me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    absolutely agree that club seems to be run very well at present. Pity to start new season with negative comments.... current chair seems very professional and totally committed to the club. If it works dont knock it...might be distinct advantages having chair a bit removed and if attendance at matches is to be taken into account half our games are outside Sligo and a large proportion in Dublin and its environs.

Cmon lets get behind the club and let everyone do their bit for the bitored

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    i'd be interested to hear what the plans are for the development of the showgrounds, the sports facilities in sligo arent really up to standard for a town of our size,

theres has to be potential to make the showgrounds more appealing for five a side leagues etc, dont know what the take up on bookings at the showgrounds is like but i think something like the astro parks in tallaght are the way to go.. a bit of investment could lead to a steady income stream,

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redbuli View Post
    i'd be interested to hear what the plans are for the development of the showgrounds, the sports facilities in sligo arent really up to standard for a town of our size,

theres has to be potential to make the showgrounds more appealing for five a side leagues etc, dont know what the take up on bookings at the showgrounds is like but i think something like the astro parks in tallaght are the way to go.. a bit of investment could lead to a steady income stream,
    Right lads, who wants to have first go. Form a line, please.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The lads on the ground from Sligo are legends. Dermot is an excellent chairman. I think we are in the best position we were ever in. The team is ? third best in Ireland. The facilities are good. Remember languishing in the first division, the old "stand", the oxtail soup from the shed behind the shed. We are in a good position. Dermot must be a good chairman and from what I hear the committee members are very happy with him. It's irrelevant where he lives. There are lots of Rovers fanatics living in Dublin.
    Níl aon tinteán mar do thinteán féin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Boru View Post
    The lads on the ground from Sligo are legends. Dermot is an excellent chairman. I think we are in the best position we were ever in. The team is ? third best in Ireland. The facilities are good. Remember languishing in the first division, the old "stand", the oxtail soup from the shed behind the shed. We are in a good position. Dermot must be a good chairman and from what I hear the committee members are very happy with him. It's irrelevant where he lives. There are lots of Rovers fanatics living in Dublin.
    I remember it being vegetable!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast