Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replay/Extra team distracting from real issue

rerun

Replay/Extra team distracting from real issue

With all the talk about a replay or the FAI requesting an extra berth in WC 2010, I think that we are being distracted from the real issue here.

There will not be a replay. Fact.
    There will be 32 teams competing in SA. Fact.

What the FAI should be focusing on is having Thierry Henry banned for the competition. Now, personally I think Henry is an incredible player, I don't like what he did, but to be honest, I'd imagine there's a lot of sneaky handballs in every game. The match ended up 1-1 and we got knocked out, c'est la vie.

However, the fact remains that a precedent was set when Eduardo was banned for diving against Celtic. The referees decision is final, we have to accept that, but in a case where there is evidence that a vital decision was missed because the player was trying to deceive the referee, action should be taken.

I might be wrong, but I haven't seen anyone mention a ban. All I've heard of late is Sepp Blatter consoling Henry and saying it was the refs fault.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I actually think the real issue is putting something in place so it doesn't get repeated.
    e.g. refs behind the goal, video technology, managers having a certain number of challenges per game as in tennis.

Wasn't that Eduardo ban overturned in the end?
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rerun View Post
    With all the talk about a replay or the FAI requesting an extra berth in WC 2010, I think that we are being distracted from the real issue here.

There will not be a replay. Fact.
    There will be 32 teams competing in SA. Fact.

What the FAI should be focusing on is having Thierry Henry banned for the competition. Now, personally I think Henry is an incredible player, I don't like what he did, but to be honest, I'd imagine there's a lot of sneaky handballs in every game. The match ended up 1-1 and we got knocked out, c'est la vie.

However, the fact remains that a precedent was set when Eduardo was banned for diving against Celtic. The referees decision is final, we have to accept that, but in a case where there is evidence that a vital decision was missed because the player was trying to deceive the referee, action should be taken.

I might be wrong, but I haven't seen anyone mention a ban. All I've heard of late is Sepp Blatter consoling Henry and saying it was the refs fault.
    Arsenal's lawyers got that Eduardo suspension thrown out. Tells you how things actually work. In this case Uefa caved in. I know the FAI can't bring a law suit. But there is nothing to stop individuals doing so.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tiktok View Post
    It was overturned yes, on appeal. But I think there would always have to be a right to appeal - so that doesn't detract from the point in my view.

The fact that UEFA did impose a retrospective punishment based on Eduardo 'cheating' is the key point here.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tiktok View Post
    It was. The official line was that it would open up a whole can of worms.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Henry will not be banned for the duration of the competition, fact.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmet7 View Post
    Henry will not be banned for the duration of the competition, fact.
    Does anyone actually think that would have been the case?

Emmet: Breaking news - man landed on moon.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Sunday Telegraph called for a tournament long ban. Off the mark in my opinion.

I said here that he should get a 2 to 3 game ban for "gross unsporting behaviour" the same charge that got Materazzi a 2 game ban after the 2006 WC Final I believe.

I thought Edoardo's ban was overturned because a video replay provided by Arsenal showed some minor contact from Boruc and thus introduced an element of doubt. There could be no such doubt over the Henry incident.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 30/11/2009 at 2:04 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    It would be nice to see him banned but the chances are zero.

When it comes to the handball, FIFA saw nothing, heard nothing. It's the ref's fault in their eyes.

They could only ban Henry if they admit he did something wrong. So far I have yet to see them come out with a clear statement to say Henry did something wrong and should be punished.

Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    Does anyone actually think that would have been the case?

Emmet: Breaking news - man landed on moon.
    I really don't know how to respond to this...maybe I will just leave it.
    Last edited by Emmet7; 30/11/2009 at 1:59 PM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twoenz View Post
    It was. The official line was that it would open up a whole can of worms.

How ironic it is that amongst the UEFA sub-committee that banned Eduardo was a one John Delaney. He surely knows about a can of worms then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Deliberate hand ball is a bookable offense regardless of context or consequences. Not even a red card offense yet people want a tournament long ban?!

Let's just hope something good comes out of the fuss kicked up, proper seeding for next play-offs, additional assistant referees, tarnished reputation for Henry......
    "If you don't work harder I'll pull you off at halftime,"
    “Crikey, at Manchester City all we get is an orange and a cup of tea,"

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Diving in the box to win a penalty, if spotted by the ref, is a yellow card offense but deemed worthy of a 2 match ban afterwards. Same should apply to Henry

Btw, I see that Eduardo has rehabilitated himself since that near ban.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Full story here.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...e-1787370.html

And here is Blatter saying the Chelsea player buying ban is 'final'.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...l-1784369.html

Chelsea got that overturned.
    Last edited by Noelys Guitar; 30/11/2009 at 2:45 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    Joke of an organisation. I don't know about other people but I'm finding it hard to give a crap about this sport anymore after all this. I knew this kind of corruption and injustice went on in the past but you only really appreciate it when it hits close to home.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    If they're not careful FIFA will run the risk of the perceived (lack of) integrity of the WC affecting its commercial potential. It'll take more than little Ireland being affected for this to happen but this issue has had global attention because of Henry's profile.

Serie A has been totally dominated by the EPL in the last decade, one factor being the difference in perceived integrity. The outcome of a match in the EPL is pereceived as being unaffected by outside influence, the exact opposite of what happened in Italy.

Uncertainty of outcome is a critical facor in a sport's success.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Cheating has no place in the game we love. FIFA need to start examining video evidence and handing out retrospective bans for every instance of diving, deliberate handball, off-the-ball elbows, etc. See how quick certain players are to stick out a hand or take a deliberate tumble when they know they'll miss two matches and get a fine because of it.

I know we won't be at the world cup, I'm not that deluded, but I do hope that something good can come of this mess, so no team, be it ourselves, Uzbekistan, or even France, ever has to be the victim of such a disgraceful farce again.

This is what the FAI should be pushing for, in the interests of "fair play", not embarrassing us on the world stage by pushing for things that are never going to happen.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    If they're not careful FIFA will run the risk of the perceived (lack of) integrity of the WC affecting its commercial potential.

The outcome of a match in the EPL is pereceived as being unaffected by outside influence, the exact opposite of what happened in Italy.

Uncertainty of outcome is a critical factor in a sport's success.

A good point.

But guessing there's been match-fixing in 'top' football for decades from domestic leagues to World Cup games, though proving it is obviously much more difficult. There has to be a way of proving this, so any links welcome.....

FIFA deserve to have every ounce of their tattered credibility put through the mincer.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    IMHO the real issue is that Ireland team still don't have the mental strength to beat a big team away. A second goal and we would have been on our way, and deservedly so. The game was there for the taking.
    It's a Sicilian message. It means Luca Brasi swims with Team Ireland...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I believe had something similiar to the following happened, everything would have been sorted on the night and everyone could hold their heads high.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3fhh...eature=related

rerun
    Quote Originally Posted by ramondo View Post
    IMHO the real issue is that Ireland team still don't have the mental strength to beat a big team away. A second goal and we would have been on our way, and deservedly so. The game was there for the taking.
    Apparently, and I might be wrong here, but under FIFA rule 1098.4.9.12 subsection a, paragraph b, "in the event of an aggregate draw involving France at home, the aggregate score will stand and France will be awarded a 3-nil win."

Seems pretty watertight to me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast