Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: John Delaney

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    JD always reminds me of a minor priest that would have cropped up on Father Ted. I really think that there are people who post on here who are better equipped to do his job than he is.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    What effort was made by the FAI to redirect any of the Ole Ole support to LOI ? Could Trap/players not appear at LOI games when here on International duty ? it would show some level of commitment to Irish football and may encourage a small few to take an interest.
    It's always noticeable in the Rugby, that there are international players are in the RDS on the Friday night when they've a home game over that weekend. Well noticeable as inevitably the camera will focus on them several times a match. Something simple, which would cost the FAI nothing to do but a bit of cop on from the CEO - all it'd take is the players to be willing to sign a few autographs at worst. What the feck else are they doing anyway? They're only killing time between training sessions.

Mind you, the players would no doubt look for an increased cut too for the player pool. More than just Delaney involved with the FAI that will bleed all they can get away with!
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by punkrocket View Post
    JD always reminds me of a minor priest that would have cropped up on Father Ted. I really think that there are people who post on here who are better equipped to do his job than he is.
    He looks more like the fella in the shop who was always arguing with the wife!
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    It's always noticeable in the Rugby, that there are international players are in the RDS on the Friday night when they've a home game over that weekend. Well noticeable as inevitably the camera will focus on them several times a match. Something simple, which would cost the FAI nothing to do but a bit of cop on from the CEO - all it'd take is the players to be willing to sign a few autographs at worst. What the feck else are they doing anyway? They're only killing time between training sessions.

Mind you, the players would no doubt look for an increased cut too for the player pool. More than just Delaney involved with the FAI that will bleed all they can get away with!
    That goes right down to club level as well. The likes of Paul O Connell and Jerry Flannery regularly attend Shannon and Young Munster games and even some of the Forgien players can be spotted at club games too. It's obviously handy for them and they aren't made go but it's still good to see.
    Last edited by Jofspring; 25/06/2012 at 1:01 PM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Michel Salgado and a few others were at the Rovers-Drogs game a few weeks back and the producers were constantly cutting to them, but that would have been the coaches' idea, not the FAI's. It seems a very simple thing to do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts

While they may not be palatable to some of us the Ole Ole brigade are at least interested in football and the league must tap into the odd international success. Similarly an announcement that the International team were going to be at Dalymount, Tallaght, Belfield etc would attract younger (and not so young*) fans to a LOI game. Some will stay.

Personally would like to see a major ad agency given a contract to refit and advertise the League image. Full co operation of all clubs mandatory and campaign paid for by the FAI. A rebranded league with a higher profile would have more chance of attracting any floating investment out there and would hopefully generate some much needed interest. Given deteriorating economic situation (and Merkels attempts to make it permanent) doing nothing is just not an option, improve or die.

* the night Trap visited Dalymount lo and behold one Bertie Ahern turned up at the game !
    Last edited by marinobohs; 25/06/2012 at 1:23 PM.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    I've seen it in Bray, albeit unannounced when Duff has turned up. Real buzz around the kids (and distracts them from annoying the away fans).

At this stage I'd support something radical, like a total rebranding, and a reformatting if necessary (as I mentioned in another thread).
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    I've seen it in Bray, albeit unannounced when Duff has turned up. Real buzz around the kids (and distracts them from annoying the away fans).
    Same when he was at a game in Belfield 6 or 7 years ago. If that was announced beforehand, I'm sure it would have added a few to the gate.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I'd imagine announcing his presence in advance would defeat the point of going to a game for Duffer - he probably just wants to blend in and be normal. I saw him at a gig in the RDS years ago in my teens (Paul McCartney I think?) and to be fair people left him alone to enjoy the gig. It'd be different if a few of the less private players were showing up and didn't mind being asked for autographs etc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    To be fair, some players do catch a game or 2 while they're over on thier own time.

I know this is different from having an FAI initiative. Just wanted to point out that many of them have a bit of an interest in th eleague here (even if it might only be mates player etc)
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,711 Posts
    Didn't Keith Fahey put on a charity day in Tallaght, in memory of his late father? Not directly related to support of the LOI but related to caring about local football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Didn't Keith Fahey put on a charity day in Tallaght, in memory of his late father? Not directly related to support of the LOI but related to caring about local football.
    Yep. He's been to a few Pats games too (he's going on Friday too) and went to Bohs v derry with James McLean about 6 weeks ago

Not that I'm stalking him or anything....
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    To be fair, some players do catch a game or 2 while they're over on thier own time.

I know this is different from having an FAI initiative. Just wanted to point out that many of them have a bit of an interest in th eleague here (even if it might only be mates player etc)
    Quite a few players do (or did prior to Dodge "stalking scandal" ) go to games in a personal capacity. I was talking more about an "official" FAI visit advertised before hand with them signing a few autographs for kids.

Would build a direct link between LOI and International team - which I think is currently absent - and given recent high level of interest in the game would heighten profile of the League. As an alternative to going to the pictures (usual Friday players activity) I suspect players might enjoy it as well

Funnily enough I have seen pictures of Trap at junior clubs (Killester recently ???) splashed across the papers so it is not unrealistic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Always remember Fahey in an interview after his last game saying he'd never heard of Pat's before joining them haha, always got the impression he was the type of lad who was Pats to the core.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I'd imagine announcing his presence in advance would defeat the point of going to a game for Duffer - he probably just wants to blend in and be normal. I saw him at a gig in the RDS years ago in my teens (Paul McCartney I think?) and to be fair people left him alone to enjoy the gig. It'd be different if a few of the less private players were showing up and didn't mind being asked for autographs etc
    Just to be clear, I'm not complaining about Duff (or anyone else) not announcing in advance that they'll be going to a game. It just shows that an FAI initiative could raise some interest.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    390 Posts
    Seamie Coleman in the Showgrounds tonight

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    spotted in the goalpost bar in galway this evening drinking with the GUST members, poor man is fecked if he bumps into Mr. Furey !

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    spotted in the goalpost bar in galway this evening drinking with the GUST members, poor man is fecked if he bumps into Mr. Furey !
    why wot do u mean?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    'FAI Chief Executive John Delaney admits to turning down a job three times his current salary': http://www.rte.ie/sport/cycling/2013...ive-job-offer/

FAI chief executive John Delaney has defended his current salary, while also stating he turned down a job that would have tripled what he now earns.

Delaney, who has presided over stringent cutbacks which have affected even Republic of Ireland boss Giovanni Trapattoni and his coaching staff, reportedly earns around €340,000 a year.

However, he has revealed he could have left for a better-paid post and believes his wage is commensurate with the FAI's income, with the country still in the grip of a difficult economic situation.

Delaney told Sky Sports News: "I was offered a job three times the salary that I'm currently on, and that's a fact.

"I didn't take the job, I didn't want the job. I'm very happy in this job.

"I think the turnover of the FAI in the mid-90s, 1996,97, was about €7million. Last year it was north of €40 million.

"We are in a tough economy in Ireland at the moment and anybody who is on a big salary is going to grab media attention."
    I can only assume that was for a role outside of the FAI. Some might say he's either a liar or a fool!

The revelation emanated from this glowing report into the man broadcast by Sky Sports News yesterday:

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Must have been the Limerick CEO job.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast