Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: I've lost faith in Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Excellent thread this is btw, some great points from both sides of the argument.

Don't know where I stand really, as david said above I have also given the League of Ireland a fair crack, now personally I have really enjoyed it, fallin in love with it even. I genuinely think that people who do not follow their local side are missing out on a tremendous feeling of live football, the passion, the loyalty, amazing feelings like these that I have experienced following Kildare county.
    But, also like david, I cannot blame someone if they do not follow the League of Ireland. I think some people are being harsh towards some followers of foreign clubs, there are people out there who do end up following sides purely based on the fact they play nice football, for example, I enjoy watching Brazil play and whenever they are on the box I would try and watch it, I have done since the 2002 World Cup (when I first saw them play), over time and after watching them play a few games I developed a soft spot to them and now it is at the stage where I would hope they win all their games (bar v Ireland obviously), this must surely be a form of "supporting" them no?

Now I am just using that as an example, but it is possible that there are other people out there who have developed a liking of teams in England or Spain or wherever based on the same way I would like to see Brazil win. I would gladly watch any good game of football, since the fall of county I would now just be more of a fan of the sport than any one club in particular, and, for example, if it happens that Barcelona are a team I begin to watch on sky every couple of weeks and they play nice attractive flowing football, would I be wrong in taking an interest in them? I think not.

However, its when people begin to follow clubs for no apparent reason and feel the same "pride" when their beloved Man United or Chelsea win a game as I did when Kildare won a game, that is what confuses me about football fans in this country.
    Cmon County!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    England (UK) is a country with huge influence on global culture - probably only beaten by the states globally. As they are our nearest neighbour its only natural they have an impact on us.

Some people on this thread seem to suggest that supporting an English club somehow dilutes their Irishness - what a laughable thought!

Also why stop at football? How many people like the Beatles, the Rolling Stones? How many people have enjoyed comedies like Porridge, Only fool and Horses and Faulty towers? Own up I'm sure some of you watch Cornation Street and Eastenders!

If so in your eyes it surely makes you as culpable in your betrayal of Ireland(ha!) as me - an Irishman who supports Liverpool as my club.

Also ever been to Scotland, Wales, Denmark, Finland, Norway etc. There is huge support for English football in particular in there countries aswell as African, Asian countries etc. Ireland and Irish people are no way unique in there support of Irish football and of general cultural trends globally.

The level of small mindedness displayed by some people who appear to only support LOI so it affords them the opportunity to b!tch and moan about everthing else is astounding Ok I'm joking about the lasr bit but sometimes I wonder.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kennedmc View Post
    England (UK) is a country with huge influence on global culture - probably only beaten by the states globally. As they are our nearest neighbour its only natural they have an impact on us.

Some people on this thread seem to suggest that supporting an English club somehow dilutes their Irishness - what a laughable thought!

Also why stop at football? How many people like the Beatles, the Rolling Stones? How many people have enjoyed comedies like Porridge, Only fool and Horses and Faulty towers? Own up I'm sure some of you watch Cornation Street and Eastenders!

If so in your eyes it surely makes you as culpable in your betrayal of Ireland(ha!) as me - an Irishman who supports Liverpool as my club.

Also ever been to Scotland, Wales, Denmark, Finland, Norway etc. There is huge support for English football in particular in there countries aswell as African, Asian countries etc. Ireland and Irish people are no way unique in there support of Irish football and of general cultural trends globally.

The level of small mindedness displayed by some people who appear to only support LOI so it affords them the opportunity to b!tch and moan about everthing else is astounding Ok I'm joking about the lasr bit but sometimes I wonder.
    its not about Irish or English - its about going to see some footie. Most posters here and LOI fans in general have an english or foreign team that they follow. The point is that they support their local club too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts

Most people here dont mind people supporting a English club as long as they support their local team aswell, theses people who support Man utd or Liverpool dont support Englnad over Ireland when it comes to International matches so why not support a Irish club?

You used Norway and Scotland as a example of other countries who support English teams but most of these people would support their local team aswell as a EPL team
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts

In Scotland, there's little interest in English football. Not compared to Ireland anyway. They have their own league, it fills all the sports pages, and it's the one that will come into the mind of every Scot when they hear the word "fitbaw". In Scandinavia, there is a lot of interest in the English game, but people still turn out in huge numbers to support their local clubs.

In Africa and Asia, the game at a local level is in absolute disarray because people would rather watch foreign football than their own leagues. I'm sure you remember a while back in Nigeria when a group of Barcelona fans were killed when a Man United fan deliberately ran them over in his van. As far as I am aware, neither of these sides has ever had a Nigerian play for them. No offence to the countries involved, but I wouldn't want to go modelling our society on them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    ah sure look at all the clubs i follow the town will always come first thou ever since i was a mascot and got to sit ion the dugout for the finn harps first leg ive been hooked lovely orange slices in the dessing room at half time and the ref gave me a tenner

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicme View Post
    If I move to Beligum I will support La Magie Mons RAEC Mons
    Well for some.

I'm stuck with the other Waterford United...
    That question was less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

Help me, Arthur Murphy, you're my only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I bow to no one. bar Bluebeard and Mr A

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    At least the other Dundalk play football or eh 'soccer'...
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acornvilla View Post
    the ref gave me a tenner
    Its supposed to be the other way round
    Here on a technicality.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts

The way you choose Liverpool is because 1) They were good and you like glory hunting 2) you copied your friends/family members who supported them. 3) they had a few Irish players or 4) you liked their shirt?

Why did you not choose Macclesfield or Tranmere (for example)?

There is no way in hell you can argue that you are a true football fan if you have no interest in your own LoI, or local team.

And i bet you wrapped the Irish flag around you last saturday? Arent brazil a better team to follow for you - thery are good and have nice shiny jerseys
    I bet you cheer against England too at football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    The way you choose Liverpool is because 1) They were good and you like glory hunting 2) you copied your friends/family members who supported them. 3) they had a few Irish players or 4) you liked their shirt?

Why did you not choose Macclesfield or Tranmere (for example)?

There is no way in hell you can argue that you are a true football fan if you have no interest in your own LoI, or local team.

And i bet you wrapped the Irish flag around you last saturday? Arent brazil a better team to follow for you - thery are good and have nice shiny jerseys
    I bet you cheer against England too at football
    am i the only irish person who likes to see the 4 british nations do well?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    When people who are from Bray slag me because Bray lose, but "their" team Liverpool or Arsenal have won...
    That kind of attitude really annoys me (especially from a friend of mine who "supports" Sunderland)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Oh, please!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crc View Post
    That kind of attitude really annoys me (especially from a friend of mine who "supports" Sunderland)
    It's been posted before but always worth posting:

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    you mean 5, yeah?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    you mean 5, yeah?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What a tedious thread. Running down the whole nation of Ireland because not everyone supports a certain football team. Believe it or not there are people who don't give a flying f*ck about football or sport for that matter. Are they all horrible people too.

Change the self loathing record ffs.
    I think I should the parachute, because I'm great.

In fact, I think I should get both parachutes, in case one doesn't work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Torn-Ado View Post
    What a tedious thread. Running down the whole nation of Ireland because not everyone supports a certain football team. Believe it or not there are people who don't give a flying f*ck about football or sport for that matter. Are they all horrible people too.

Change the self loathing record ffs.
    In case you're wondering, that faint whizzing noise you just heard was the point of the thread whoosing past some several miles distant.
    Last edited by thischarmingman; 18/11/2009 at 3:19 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    What an interesting time to stumble across this thread. At the moment, I'm living in Sydney, and have made the decision to go (back) to University. As reality hits that I could never afford the internatonal student fees to study here in Australia, I have to cast my eyes back to Ireland.. and I hold off a fear.. a dreading in my gut.

The prospects of folowing the Wanderers in person again and seeing my old friends are heartening.. but that's about where the good stuff ends for me. I try not to waste time with hatred and loathing, because it achieves little.. but Irish society doesn't give me the warm and fuzzys! Society in general can wreck my head a bit, but Irish society more so than the norm.

At the same time, I am Irish. I am (or was and will be when I return) a part of Irish society.. I can make a difference. "I can make a difference".. I hear myself say it, and I believe it.. but then I look at the LOI. How many good people have put their all into lifting this league, only for their efforts to go unnoticed and seeminlgy provide little or no progress. At the same time though, people have had their lives changed by the league.. many of us on foot are examples.

I've not got much, if any, faith in Ireland. But if/when I do return (shudders down spine) I intend to go at life there full throttle.. because it's a better option than giving up*

*Unless you can leave the country.. in which case.. GET THE FUDGE OUT..GO.. Be freeeee

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    The hardcore fans of the clubs they "support" hate them for inflating prices and taking tickets from local fans. Unappreciated where ever they are, except by the moneymen who see the €/stg£ signs. It's them that are missing out - they deserve pity not hate. Patronise them to death, or just leave them to it.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast