Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Youth System

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Foot.ie! Youth System

Lads, just wondering what ye think about how important a good youth system is in the club. there are good players around the town, county and surrounding counties well able to step upto the grade in a few years. facilities need to be better at a club like ours for youth teams, to make these players want to play for sligo rovers. the likes of derry, castlebar, salthill devon, mervue have great facilities, and these teams all do well in the A league and u20. with mervue progressing into the LOI with a young side, with many of their players being with the club for a number of years with the youth sides.

i know money at the club is hard to come by, but investing in youth facilities is great for the long term.

alot of clubs have set up youth team commitees, and this helps raise funds for teams, improve facilities and all round feel around the youth team. maybe its time for something like this to happen with rovers

i don't know would anyone on here have any interest in coming together to maybe set up something like this, but i think its an important step for the club to make sooner rather than later, or even having some existing committee members take this on board instead of just focusing on the first team, theres nothing better than seeing the likes of o'grady, feeney, cretaro etc playing for the club. we could have plenty more players like this in the years to come if the youth system is given more care off the field
    Last edited by CF1989; 23/08/2009 at 1:32 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    dont think the club will or able to make the investment. is our under 20 team any good i was chatting a fella from castlerea and he said castlerea played rovers u-20 few saturdays back and they beat us 1-0 but should have won by far more and was very disappointed with sligo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rovers100% View Post
    dont think the club will or able to make the investment. is our under 20 team any good i was chatting a fella from castlerea and he said castlerea played rovers u-20 few saturdays back and they beat us 1-0 but should have won by far more and was very disappointed with sligo.
    because alot of the u20 sqaud were playing the same afternoon for our A team against galway (and won 3-1). 3 players were on holidays, 4 players were injured and 1 working and 7 were playing in the A game during the day. thats 15 players unavailable out of a 22/23 man squad. 6 signed players took part, 5 unsigned ones also

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Castlerea must be top flight to beat a makeshift Rovers 1-0.

There are good players on the u20 panel but some play A as well and are in the 1st team squad, so the u20 squad depends on other fixtures.

You could always go see them for yourself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Sure didnt sean connor demolish any form of a youth structure we had, one thing that DOR actually accomplished while at Rovers.
    As for last season, from what I was told it was a complete farce with Hutch running it far from professional.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    its just going to save money in the long run, saving transfer fees if theres good enough players coming through to make the first team

u20 team at home to Derry City tomorrow night in the Showgrounds at 7.45pm
    Last edited by CF1989; 24/08/2009 at 5:53 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apo11o View Post
    Castlerea must be top flight to beat a makeshift Rovers 1-0.

There are good players on the u20 panel but some play A as well and are in the 1st team squad, so the u20 squad depends on other fixtures.

You could always go see them for yourself.

only stating what i was told from an observer of the game and i work weekends and only transfered from dublin to home 5 weeks ago. it costs me 250 euros to come down to sligo on saturdays im due on so watching u-20 a bit award for me apo11o. maybe im just a bad supporter !!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    only stating what i was told from an observer of the game and i work weekends and only transfered from dublin to home 5 weeks ago. it costs me 250 euros to come down to sligo on saturdays im due on so watching u-20 a bit award for me apo11o. maybe im just a bad supporter !!!
    Are you taking one of The Monk's limos or something?! Train costs around 40e, less than that on the bus.....

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brianw82 View Post
    Are you taking one of The Monk's limos or something?! Train costs around 40e, less than that on the bus.....
    Arrah, read the feckin thing again and cop on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    game off tonight

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    have to pay someone to do my days work for me brian !!! im not tryin to win supporter of the year just apo11o was being bitchy and trying to show him we would all love to watch every game senior and junior but its not possible for some people.
    Last edited by rovers100%; 25/08/2009 at 5:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    yeah its not easy to get to all games, especially underage ones, but if anyones ever around and doing nothing come in for a look. alot of young locals playing and always the odd first teamer there aswell for the A team, or the likes of turner/marshall for the u20, usually any first team players that dont play on a friday/saturday night and arnt injured would line out for the A team the next day if theres a game so its a good chance to have a look at some of the fringe players too

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    have to pay someone to do my days work for me brian !!! im not tryin to win supporter of the year just apo11o was being bitchy and trying to show him we would all love to watch every game senior and junior but its not possible for some people.
    That wasn t bitchy, you shouldn t dismiss the team without seeing them for yourself. Maybe your in the wrong gaame.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    learn to read, i did not dismiss the team i passed on info as to what a supporter at the game told me, how can i dismiss the team by clearly asking is our u-20 team any good your talking sh1te mate

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    good one !!! sorry not gonna bother argueing the point anymore let apo11o be right

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Anyone know when Castlerea are playing again.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think a strong youth system is important for the club.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    surely rovers should be entering teams from u-12 up and trying to get the best young players playing for the club together from a young age. surely this cant be too much effort or cost for a club that calls itself professional. sadly the club is paying and signing contracts as pros but it acts as if part time in many respects. its hard to understand how sligo can produce so many good school, underage and senior teams yet so little breakthrough into the first team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    surely rovers should be entering teams from u-12 up and trying to get the best young players playing for the club together from a young age..........
    Haven't the budget. You need to pay coaches, rent facilities etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast