Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stan interviewed for Motherwell job

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts

Stan interviewed for Motherwell job

Hmm, I wonder who I'd pick out of these two...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ll/8111043.stm

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Anyone see that interview with Spud for a job in Trainspotting.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Sanchez is wasting his time with likes of Motherwell. He needs to get on with a decently funded Championship club a la Roy Keane.

Good move for Staunton if he gets it. If he's serious about becoming a real football manager, he needs to start somewhere like League 2 and build his way up. At Motherwell he might be in well over his head.

Let's not forget what a great servant to the country he was for so many years. Good luck to him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Sanchez did his level best to destroy Fulham by somehow thinking that two bit Northern Ireland players were good enough. Think Motherwell is about his level now. Motherwell under 12s girls would be Stans level

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Sanchez has bags more experience and success then Staunton, it should be a no-brainer for them.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    "Should be". Somehow I think they'll get Stan for a whole lot less money than Sanchez.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    has to go to the man with LOI managerial experience
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    I'm the gaffer, the buck stops with me!
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    "Should be". Somehow I think they'll get Stan for a whole lot less money than Sanchez.
    Unless Stan quotes previous 'scale' where he was on three times what Sanchez was getting when they were both in international managemnent.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    But Stan has the four year plan going for him

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wink

Has anyone given them Sean Connor's number ???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Roddy probably got "one of those calls" about it and turned it down
    Only another 9 titles till Drogheda become pride of county louth!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    I can't believe some people on here. Steve Staunton was a terrific player for his country, who turned out to be a less than fantastic manager in his first managerial job. If any of you took over the Irish team tomorrow I guarantee you your performances would be far worse than his. Just because Eamonn f%*&ing Dunphy doesn't agree with your team selection doesn't make you the antichrist, he was just a man put into a high-presure job he wasn't ready for at that stage of his career.

He has been working as a coach with experienced managers since losing the Ireland job, and if he feels he is ready for another crack at management, then good luck to him. A true Irish legend, who never gave less than 100% to the team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    If any of you took over the Irish team tomorrow I guarantee you your performances would be far worse than his.
    What kind of bull**** argument is that? You've never criticised anyone, ever?

You don't need to be a comedian to get jokes, you don't need to be a chef to know food, and you don't need to be a football manager to know when someone isn't cut out for it either
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    I can't believe some people on here. Steve Staunton was a terrific player for his country, who turned out to be a less than fantastic manager in his first managerial job. If any of you took over the Irish team tomorrow I guarantee you your performances would be far worse than his. Just because Eamonn f%*&ing Dunphy doesn't agree with your team selection doesn't make you the antichrist, he was just a man put into a high-presure job he wasn't ready for at that stage of his career.

He has been working as a coach with experienced managers since losing the Ireland job, and if he feels he is ready for another crack at management, then good luck to him. A true Irish legend, who never gave less than 100% to the team.
    He gave considerably less than 100% when in charge of the national team, and then refused to walk away when it was perfectly clear his position was untenable, leading to him being paid hundreds of thousands of euro that was taken out of the Irish game. Since then he has been indignant and unrepentant about his pathetic tenure as manager.

Also it wasn't that the job was too much pressure, or came too early in his career. The man is spectacularly unsuited for any sort of management, let alone international management. Aside from the fact he was tactically retarded, he never even gave it a go, picking some of the most hilariously bizarre XIs to ever wear the shirt, letting the media pick a team for him, alienating numerous players, and never bothering to prepare his teams properly.

(and before you say it, yes he had a legal right to the money after signing a four year deal that Delaney was stupid enough to give him, but if you want to talk about 'legend' status then his behaviour falls very far short of what I'd expect from a legend....)
    Last edited by Jicked; 22/06/2009 at 8:40 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jicked View Post
    He gave considerably less than 100% when in charge of the national team, and then refused to walk away when it was perfectly clear his position was untenable, leading to him being paid hundreds of thousands of euro that was taken out of the Irish game. Since then he has been indignant and unrepentant about his pathetic tenure as manager.

Also it wasn't that the job was too much pressure, or came too early in his career. The man is spectacularly unsuited for any sort of management, let alone international management. Aside from the fact he was tactically retarded, he never even gave it a go, picking some of the most hilariously bizarre XIs to ever wear the shirt, letting the media pick a team for him, alienating numerous players, and never bothering to prepare his teams properly.

(and before you say it, yes he had a legal right to the money after signing a four year deal that Delaney was stupid enough to give him, but if you want to talk about 'legend' status then his behaviour falls very far short of what I'd expect from a legend....)
    Amen to that.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jicked View Post

Giles" Christ if you turned that team sheet upside down it would make more sense"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

He also got the job because of his political manouvering and who he was friends with in the FAI. He made us a laughing stock and then hadn't the decency to walk as he waited for the compensation. Great servant indeed

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I might have made this point elsewhere before, but yes, Stan was a legend as a player. A great servant for Ireland and fully deserves our respect for that. But his stint as manager has done all the damage. It wasn't just the results, but also his refusal to admit anything was wrong, lack of humility, his dismissiveness of the media, and not resigning when his time was clearly up. This, I fear, is what we now remember.

When you think of Bryan Robson or Graeme Souness. What immediately comes to mind? The great player or the rubbish manager? Same with Stan I'm afraid.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    If any of you took over the Irish team tomorrow I guarantee you your performances would be far worse than his.
    I beg to differ. You could pick people off the street at random to manage the Irish team and most would do a better job than Stan. I think you'd actually have to make an effort to try to ba**s it up as much as he did in the relatively short space of time he was in charge.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast