Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oldest Programmes for your club ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Oldest Programmes for your club ?

I'm keen to find out what the oldest programmes are for each of the LOI clubs.

Half the teams in the league have been in senior football for less than 25yrs, so for all of those I'll assume they've been producing programmes from day 1 (is that true for Mervue and Sporting F ?).

Of the older teams (Bohs, Shels, Pats, Rovers, Athlone, Sligo, Waterford, Dundalk, Drogheda) does anyone know when they first started doing programmes ?

Of the other teams who've been around in a non-league form (e.g. Cobh), does anyone know if they produced programmes for any big games prior to joining the league ?

Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    UCD certain have had programmes back to our first league game, but I don't know if there's been a gap at any stage, or if we produced one during our non-league history.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    538 Posts
    I know that we produced a program for the first ever senior match which was us against sligo rovers in abbeycartron in the 84/85 season.
    Last edited by Martinho II; 18/05/2009 at 6:17 PM. Reason: tired
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve View Post
    Of the other teams who've been around in a non-league form (e.g. Cobh), does anyone know if they produced programmes for any big games prior to joining the league ?

Thanks.
    St Francis produced programmes for all home games whilst still a Leinster Senior League side in season 95/96

The full series of them that I was holding for you seem to have been dumped, not by me I hasten to add, but SWMBO
    http://pix.ie/widgets/generate/accou...000-F5F5FF.jpg

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    This lads Sligo Rovers collection dates from the thirties.

http://www.sligochampion.ie/sport/ot...4.html?start=2

He has also found it difficult to trace Rovers programmes from the 1960s and ‘70s, although his vast collection includes programmes from most of the other decades in the club’s history. He even has a programme from a home match in the 1936/’37 season when Rovers won the League for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    I know that we produced a program for the first ever senior match which was us against sligo rovers in abbeycartron in the 84/85 season.
    Saw that on ebay last week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    We have been producing match programmes since the mid 1930s and once saw one from the 1937 Cup Final.

as rare as hens teeth they say.

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Info about ours here.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Certainly there exists one from 17th March 1924 from our Cup Final win over Fordsons.
    Celebrating 130 Years of Athlone Town Football Club - Pride of the Midlands Since 1887

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Bohs started producing programmes in 1938 and kept doing so until the mid 50s.

Apart from big friendlies, they didn't produce programmes again til 1966 and have continued to do so since.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atfconline View Post
    Certainly there exists one from 17th March 1924 from our Cup Final win over Fordsons.
    I wonder if Orlando distributed a few team sheets back in 1887

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Shamrock Rovers did a programme for every game starting in the 1938 season.
    I am not sure if one off programmes were done before that, I've never heard of any.

bhs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Dundalk have been producing programmes regularly since at least the 30s, and I think there were some in the 20s. I don't know of any from before Dundalk joined the league in 1926.

Cobh had a special issue for the cup game against Dundalk in 82-3, prior to joining the league.

Drogheda produced programmes in their first season in the league and there are a few examples from before then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Harps first programme appears to be for the first competitive game against Shamrock Rovers in the Dublin City Cup.

Never come across one from our junior days yet! Strange as I have a number of Junior Cup Finals from the early sixties but have never come across one for 1968 when Harps won it.

Harps have produced pretty much regularly since 1969 but didnt do anything in 76/77, 77/78, 78/79 (bar Everton UEFA Cup), 79/80, 80/81 (bar Athlone FAI Cup), 81/82 (bar Bohemians League).

Mixture of teamsheets and programmes throughout middle to late eighties and programmes pretty much since.
    The Finn Harps Story by Bartley Ramsay now available to purchase from www.finnharps.com.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Derry issued from 1929/30 in the Irish league and from the start in the LoI.

Harps issued for Shamrock rovers city cup 1969.

Sligo as stated - 36/7 is as old as I've heard of.

Galway didn't issue pre league AFAIK - 1st issue v St Pats 1977

Longford v Drums cup 1957 - nothing known for v limerick 1953

Athlone v Windsor 1953 opening of stand at st mels.

Limerick v Shelbourne 1937 - 3rd home game (probably issued for first and second)

Cork is a thread all on its own - City issued v Limerick league cup but then claimed Waterford league was their first issue. Fordsons v Kilmarnock 29, Cork FC issued - seen copy v Shamrock rovers 1930, I saw a Cork Bohs programme v Bohs. Cork City v Bohs 1938 dublin city cup, Cork Utd v shels 1940, Cork Ath ltic v limerick 48, Evergreen v Rovers cup 51 pre-league, Cork Hibs v dundalk 57, celtic from 59, All albert rovers issues from 76/7 claim to be their first programme. cork united v limerick alex ludzic testimonial

Cobh apparently issued v Pats 48 in the cup but I haven't seen it.

There is a photocopy of a 1930 waterford issue v shels reproduced in a 1950's waterford programme. Earliest issue I've actually seen/have is 45/6 v limerick.

Thurles v Sligo 1977.

Newcastlewest v Limerick 85 league cup

Bray v Shels cup 1958 Bray Unknowns did issue but I haven't actually seen any.

A collector in Dundalk has Dundalk v Drums march 32. They issued regularly from 38/9 bur probably from at least 31/2.

Drogheda issued for a few leinster league games in 82/3. -1st one as a league club was v drums shield 63

Bohs issued v Cardiff 1925 and for other friendlies prior to 38 - 1st regular known league issues were from 38/9.

Drums issued in 39/40 - think I've number 6

Shels issued a card v Bohs 1937 and a regular issue from 39/40. Reds unite dissued v Bohs in the cup circa 34 so I assume shels were issuing then too.

Dolphin issued v Rangers 1933.

Brideville issued in 38/9 1st issue v Drums city cup I think.

Rovers issued from 38/9 1st issue v Waterford shield.

Transport issued in 48/9 limerick city cup sept probably earlier.

Pats issued pre-league v Shels in the cup late 40's.

UCD issued v Leeds 1971 - there is a programme for UCD v Celtic 1969 which I don't have but have seen and think it is a pirate. That is disputed but both the guys I know who have it. The Celtic guys consider it official.

I've left out some of the recent teams and have probably forgotten a few more.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    St Pat's issued from the time they joined the LOI. there where several for cup games in the late 1940s. programmes for the fai junior cup finals in the late 40s would have been published ,.... but by the fai

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    St Pat's issued from the time they joined the LOI. there where several for cup games in the late 1940s. programmes for the fai junior cup finals in the late 40s would have been published ,.... but by the fai

Can you confirm that you know these Junior Cup finals had programmes issued? I've never seen a programme for any FAI Junior Cup Final in the 40's. BTW in reference to the Harps final above I suspect no programmes were produced for Junior finals from approx 65-75 apart from a St. Michaels issue for one of the early 70's. Fairview and Cals both from Limerick played in finals and a guy i know in Limerick is adamant nothing was done and he was at them and would have got programmes. I suspect 68 was probably the same.

Pats issued regular league programmes during 54/5 & 55/6 however I'm pretty sure they were not issuing regular programmes for their first 3 seasons in the LoI and subsequently until 1969.where a few issues appeared and then again not until the 1980's.

Indeed circa the 50th anniversary of the 1951/2 title win I recall discussing with the leading Pats programme expert and agreeing that it is unlikely any programmes were produced by Pats that season. However 1 v Shels has subsequently surfaced. Pats did issue for a few home FAI Cup games and home european ties but I know of only one other league issue (1960 I think v Rovers at Dalymount) up until 1969 outside of 54/5 & 55/6. If you can confirm any others I'd love to know about them (and buy them if for sale ).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    Dundalk have been producing programmes regularly since at least the 30s, and I think there were some in the 20s. I don't know of any from before Dundalk joined the league in 1926.

Cobh had a special issue for the cup game against Dundalk in 82-3, prior to joining the league.

Drogheda produced programmes in their first season in the league and there are a few examples from before then.
    To clarify on Dundalk, there are images of a Dundalk v Bohs programme from 33-4 season in Jim Murphy's History of Dundalk book, that's the earliest I've seen. I'll bow to gspain's superior knowledge re: the existence of a programme from 31-2! (the earliest known LoI programme??)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Oi! Look after your own club…

From my research I'd agree with gspain. Even in the late 70s/early 80s there weren't too many season that Pats issued for every game.

For those interested the Irish Programme fair is coming soon. Last weekend in May, aturday in Belfast, Sunday in Dublin. Can't remember where off hand...
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Oi! Look after your own club…

From my research I'd agree with gspain. Even in the late 70s/early 80s there weren't too many season that Pats issued for every game.

For those interested the Irish Programme fair is coming soon. Last weekend in May, aturday in Belfast, Sunday in Dublin. Can't remember where off hand...
    I'm heading over for the Belast Fayre on the Saturday, but hadn't realised the show was heading on to Ath Cliath the next day. Is it the same dealers with the same stuff at both events do you know ? Do yuo knwo who the organsier is ?

BTW - is there still a two-way split in the Republic's formal football programme collecting fraternity ?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,225 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain View Post
    UCD issued v Leeds 1971 - there is a programme for UCD v Celtic 1969 which I don't have but have seen and think it is a pirate.
    Wasn't even aware we played Leeds. Any details on the game?

I assume we did nothing for our various non-league FAI Cup appearances or the Intermediate Cup finals?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast