Thread: The great stand up sit down debate

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts

The great stand up sit down debate

Quote Originally Posted by reder View Post
    Terrible that. Some right tools in the away section on Sat obviously. The people in the rows behind us starting arguing over sitting down at the start of the game. Stupid carry on.
    Who were the fools the ones wanting to sit down, or the ones wanting to stand up

By the end of it anyway everyone was standing, but i'd take it as a matter of opinion. If someone tells you to do something you don't want, what would you do? Do what they say or do what you want?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Who were the fools the ones wanting to sit down, or the ones wanting to stand up

By the end of it anyway everyone was standing, but i'd take it as a matter of opinion. If someone tells you to do something you don't want, what would you do? Do what they say or do what you want?

I have mentioned this before.

The demographic of our support is such that some fans are not capable of standing for the whole game(never mind in that heat). Added to that, you have clowns who land in late and decide to stand in stairwells, forcing everyone round them to stand.

I think it is something the FAI could look at- get people to indicate if they want to sit, then allocate tickets for those people at the front. Anyone who wants to stand can, at the back.
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Ya I'd agree with that but I find that some of these people always sit middle back. It definitely takes away from the atmosphere sitting. As was showed the last day. I made a point to those around me, and I would make it again, these were lads in their early 20s, they have no excuse to wanting to sit down.

But I think the FAI should allocate tickets to those who want to sit to the front. This might not have worked in sofia though as it was a free for all. I don't agree that all those that want to sit though are unable to stand for the who game, the majority further up making noise to us, were at most 45, with a lot that were early 20s.

I would agree however that those who come in late are clowns.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    This is probably going to annoy a lot of people but I don't agree that standing at games is necessarily a good thing regardless of physical factors.

I'm only mid thirties but personally get so nervous when watching Ireland I prefer to sit a lot of the time and concentrate on the game which is a lot harder to do when everyone's standing in a random fashion. If you're on a terrace then fair enough but otherwise the seats were designed to give everyone the best possible view while sitting down and there'll always be an opportunity to stand up temporarily and cheer/sing etc. when the team needs it or when something particularly exciting is happening as it's human nature to do so.

If there hasn't already been one then maybe there should be a seperate thread started on this issue?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,227 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eaststand85 View Post
    otherwise the seats were designed to give everyone the best possible view while sitting down and there'll always be an opportunity to stand up temporarily and cheer/sing etc. when the team needs it or when something particularly exciting is happening as it's human nature to do so.
    So basically, you sit down and stay quiet because that's what the ground designer has told you to do?

Have split into a separate topic, although I'm sure it's been done before.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    So basically, you sit down and stay quiet because that's what the ground designer has told you to do?
    No, if you read or quoted my whole post you'd see I said I sit down (didn't say anything about staying quiet) because I get so nervous when watching Ireland I prefer to sit a lot of the time and concentrate on the game which is a lot harder to do when everyone's standing in a random fashion.

The point I made in relation to ground design is that stands have been built to provide a better view if people sit in the seats provided. There are some people who are happy to stand and sing the whole time (some even turn their back on the match happening in front of them to concentrate on this) which is why we now have a singing section in Croke Park. I'm just saying that while I enjoy singing and chanting my main priority is seeing, and being able to concentrate on, the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I stood up 80 per cent of the game on Saturday. Knee was in agony after it but you are certainly more likely to create noise and atmosphere and sing songs when standing up. I made sure I was drinking lots of water to hydrate the body. I paid for it later on but it was worth it.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,227 Posts
    No, if you read or quoted my whole post you'd see I said I sit down (didn't say anything about staying quiet) because I get so nervous when watching Ireland I prefer to sit a lot of the time and concentrate on the game which is a lot harder to do when everyone's standing in a random fashion.
    You did, but you also justified sitting down on the basis that that's what the ground was designed for, hence my comment.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I dont know how sitting down makes it easier if yer nervous, moving around, shouting helps ease that. If you stop singing you start thinking an awul lot more and thats really when the nerves start to hit in.

You sound like a spectator, as opposed to a supporter to me.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maribor View Post
    I think it is something the FAI could look at- get people to indicate if they want to sit, then allocate tickets for those people at the front. Anyone who wants to stand can, at the back.
    I presume this would never be taken into account though. Presumably by the letter of the law people are supposed to be sitting down so therefore the FAI could hardly be seen to be promoting sitting at the front, standing at the back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,227 Posts
    True.

Bristol City operate an unallocated stand. You sit where you want, so those who prefer to sit go down the front, and those who prefer to stand go at the back. Works perfectly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    I hate having to sit at a match, I would sooner stand in the ****ing rain than sit under a roof.
    Roddy Collins, the biggest <insert as appropiate> in Irish Football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    You sound like a spectator, as opposed to a supporter to me.
    Chanting, dancing and signing comes more naturally to some people more than others. If I'm totally honest, and I'll get absolutely no respect for saying this, I'd prefer to concentrate on watching the match. I don't mind standing at all but I'd be lying if I claimed to be the most vocal of supporters. Having said that I don't go moaning about my wasted hard earned wages when the team don't do well either. I go to the away games because I love soccer and like to see different places. I don't go purely for the good of the Irish team, selfish as that may be!! I'm glad there are a lot more vocal Irish fans out there to make up for the likes of me.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 10/06/2009 at 12:43 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    I stood up 80 per cent of the game on Saturday. Knee was in agony after it but you are certainly more likely to create noise and atmosphere and sing songs when standing up. I made sure I was drinking lots of water to hydrate the body. I paid for it later on but it was worth it.
    Lucky you......we couldn't get anything to drink, let alone water on easy credit terms.
    Tact is for people who are not witty enough to be sarcastic

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    [QUOTE=paul_oshea;1175509]I dont know how sitting down makes it easier if yer nervous, moving around, shouting helps ease that. If you stop singing you start thinking an awul lot more and thats really when the nerves start to hit in.

You sound like a spectator, as opposed to a supporter to me.[/QUOTE]

So because I'm not jumping up and down and singing the whole time I'm not a supporter? Cannot understand this attitude of people who think because they make the most noise they're the 'true' or 'better' supporters. Everyone expresses their support in different ways (volunteering at club level or supporting financially by attending matches for example) and empty vessels sometimes make the most noise as they say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I just sent Pampers to the bar.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    [QUOTE)=eaststand85;1175552 empty vessels sometimes make the most noise as they say.[/QUOTE]

Well thats true about Paul anyway.
    In Trap we trust

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    [QUOTE=eaststand85;1175552]
    I dont know how sitting down makes it easier if yer nervous, moving around, shouting helps ease that. If you stop singing you start thinking an awul lot more and thats really when the nerves start to hit in.

You sound like a spectator, as opposed to a supporter to me.[/QUOTE]

So because I'm not jumping up and down and singing the whole time I'm not a supporter? Cannot understand this attitude of people who think because they make the most noise they're the 'true' or 'better' supporters. Everyone expresses their support in different ways (volunteering at club level or supporting financially by attending matches for example) and empty vessels sometimes make the most noise as they say.

No not because you don't sing or because you sit down or even focus on the game, but all 3 combined together give me the impression of someone who goes to "watch" a match as opposed to support a team. I make no bones about singing the whole time, probably a lot of time even annoying people, but I also watch and focus on the game, but if me singing can in any small way help gee the team up then Ill do. Maybe it doesn't work maybe it does, but Ill keep doing until Im told by players "no it def" doesn't work. For now Ill take solace in trap coming out applauding a half an hour after the game, given coming right over from the goal, duff coming over and all the others ive left out as a sign that they appreciate it and it makes a difference.

If i want to go to watch a match i go to a premiership match.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    [QUOTE=paul_oshea;1175589]

No not because you don't sing or because you sit down or even focus on the game, but all 3 combined together give me the impression of someone who goes to "watch" a match as opposed to support a team. I make no bones about singing the whole time, probably a lot of time even annoying people, but I also watch and focus on the game, but if me singing can in any small way help gee the team up then Ill do. Maybe it doesn't work maybe it does, but Ill keep doing until Im told by players "no it def" doesn't work. For now Ill take solace in trap coming out applauding a half an hour after the game, given coming right over from the goal, duff coming over and all the others ive left out as a sign that they appreciate it and it makes a difference.

If i want to go to watch a match i go to a premiership match.
    As pointed out already I do sing and chant but that doesn't necessarily mean everyone has to stand up for the whole game which is what this thread is about.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Yes but it definitely doesn't go on that much with those who sit down, maybe once every 15 minutes or when a corner is given there is a small cheer. The atmosphere the Bulgarians generated was just brilliant. I Would love if we could do the same at home. And I didnt see too many of them sitting either.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast