Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 18 of 257 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast

Thread: Potentially eligible players thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    I think O'Hara has been perfect with this so far. He's completely honest, what more could we ask for? He says he's half-Irish but obviously would prefer to play for England, that's normal. And at his age and at his transfer value, he's entitled to wait and see, he's not too far off being good enough. If we don't want someone that would've preferred England, that's something for us fans to get over, it's not his fault. The Barry Maguire situation suggests it's more the fact that it happens to be England is the problem there. For him as a player, he might regret waiting in the end because he may leave it too late, for this qualifying campaign/tournament anyway.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I don't think his comitment on the pitch would be questioned if he declared (think he plays at a certain tempo regardless of who he plays for). Would be interesting to see how he'd handle being treated like Foley or Coleman though.. A true test of his commitment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    He says he's half-Irish but obviously would prefer to play for England, that's normal.
    So if you're half Irish/ half English the obvious preference is England?

Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    And at his age and at his transfer value, he's entitled to wait and see, he's not too far off being good enough. If we don't want someone that would've preferred England, that's something for us fans to get over, it's not his fault. The Barry Maguire situation suggests it's more the fact that it happens to be England is the problem there. For him as a player, he might regret waiting in the end because he may leave it too late, for this qualifying campaign/tournament anyway.
    He was approached by Trap & Co. a number of years ago. Perhaps we fans should just accept he wants to play for England and move on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    So if you're half Irish/ half English the obvious preference is England?

He was approached by Trap & Co. a number of years ago. Perhaps we fans should just accept he wants to play for England and move on.
    For him it could be quite obvious as I'd imagine he wants to play at major tournaments. Like it or not, we generally don't qualify for them.

And I don't think any of us fans are waiting with bated breath for him to decide. We're a good team now. If he wants to come in the future, great. I don't give it a whole lot of thought.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,322 Posts
    Stephen Hunt was on iTalkSport a few months ago and was asked about O'Hara, he said he's already spoken to him about declaring, and that the team wouldn't really care about him coming into the squad, but to make a decision and end all the speculation
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Hang on a second -

"I want to get a pre-season under my belt, stay injury-free and have a great start to the season with Wolves. I’d love to play international football — it’s my dream."

In other words (wonders the cynic in me), put off making a decision until after the September games when it will be much clearer about our qualification prospects?

Sorry Jamie, but you can bugger right off if that's the plan. If he declares now with a view to being included v Croatia, then (with some skeptism) welcome aboard. After that he shouldn't be considered until the World Cup qualifiers.

Would love to have a midfielder of his quality in our team but its not as if we are in desperate need of him either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    http://www.tribalfootball.com/articl...-hopes-1720101

Different spin on the O'Hara quotes here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Here is the actual full interview from the Sunday Mercury.
    http://www.sundaymercury.net/midland...31-28941451/2/
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,702 Posts
    He watched the golf in an Irish bar. That's good enough for me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    “I’d love to play international football – it’s my dream. It’s just something I’ve got to think about with my family and see what happens.”
    = "I haven't reached my personal England cut-off point yet"

If this guy ends up falling between two stools whilst both of his options are jetting off to a major finals without him, I won't be feeling his pain at a dream unrealised.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,643 Posts
    i wold like this particular door to be closed. He doesnt really seem to want to declare for us. If he did he would have done so by now - how many England squads has he been snubbed for by now?

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    867 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Doo View Post
    Hang on a second -

"I want to get a pre-season under my belt, stay injury-free and have a great start to the season with Wolves. I’d love to play international football — it’s my dream."

In other words (wonders the cynic in me), put off making a decision until after the September games when it will be much clearer about our qualification prospects?

Sorry Jamie, but you can bugger right off if that's the plan. If he declares now with a view to being included v Croatia, then (with some skeptism) welcome aboard. After that he shouldn't be considered until the World Cup qualifiers.

Would love to have a midfielder of his quality in our team but its not as if we are in desperate need of him either.

I see where your cynicism arises but it could also be interpreted as 'look, I have just cost this club a lot of dollar, more than they usually lay out on a player and the first port of call in my career is to justify that''

Regarding the ongoing wait on this lad to make up his mind, well, its a bit of a myth, he wouldnt have to wait too long to decide if picked for our neighbours, the decision was made 3 years ago and I seem to recall a Twitter campaign by him to that effect. However, the best that can be said of him now is he is at least being honest and respectful to the Irish fans and people in his attempts to perform this inevitible (IMO) U-turn. He is better versed, than certain others, in the diplomacy of how to phrase it, but thats about all.
    Last edited by CraftyToePoke; 27/06/2011 at 5:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Don't mind having him aboard but would be against him joining up to play in a tournament he had no part in helping us qualify for.

If he wants in he needs to declare now and play against Croatia, or wait until next campaign.

If England bring in an English manager after Capello, I could see a guy like O'Hara being bumped to the top of the queue as a fresh face, but ultimately I don't see him playing much of a role for England if he has his heart set on that.

Probably end up with a couple of caps in friendly matches and that's about it.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    The best thing that could happen is if O'Hara got called up to an England Squad very soon. He would be like a rat up a drain pipe.

Then we could get back to focussing on those that have set their hearts and souls on getting us to Poland/Ukraine.

Stutts, Im worried about your gut - what have you been taking........
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    Get lost with this BS of starting the season well and talking about his family and "see what happens". If he was Irish he'd have declared when he was a teenager, I'd never support somebody like him. His very indecision is an insult to international soccer. Theres rarely any decision to be made with regards ones identity, the only decision here is a career one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    867 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    The best thing that could happen is if O'Hara got called up to an England Squad very soon.
    That would settle it alright, just like it did with Zat Knight. He's not on their radar though, I think they selected Henderson and Wilshire recently, with Parker involved also, so this one might rumble on a bit. Unless of course they called him up and he declined as he hasnt made his mind up yet ... well, thats the official line isnt it? Yeah.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    I see where your cynicism arises but it could also be interpreted as 'look, I have just cost this club a lot of dollar, more than they usually lay out on a player and the first port of call in my career is to justify that''

Regarding the ongoing wait on this lad to make up his mind, well, its a bit of a myth, he wouldnt have to wait too long to decide if picked for our neighbours, the decision was made 3 years ago and I seem to recall a Twitter campaign by him to that effect. However, the best that can be said of him now is he is at least being honest and respectful to the Irish fans and people in his attempts to perform this inevitible (IMO) U-turn. He is better versed, than certain others, in the diplomacy of how to phrase it, but thats about all.
    Ok, fair enough point, but do you really think that if Capello came calling for their friendly game in August that O'Hara would feel the need to 'consider it' or 'talk it over with his family'? Of course not. He is without question keeping his options open with Ireland. Fine, he's entitled to dual identity and maybe he feels he has a better shot at playing at a EC/WC with England, which is fair enough. However, if after the September games we are in a good position to qualify and he suddenly decides he wants to declare, then he should be told where to go.

Also, not digging at you, CraftyTP, but I really don't get this notion that O'Hara deserves some sort of credit for the 'diplomacy' not bluntly stating that England is by far is first choice. The difference between O'Hara and lads like Pennant and Zat Knight is that they are clearly both just tactless morons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Out of interest, is Zat Knight still eligible to play for us? He was capped twice by England but both times were friendlies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    867 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Out of interest, is Zat Knight still eligible to play for us? He was capped twice by England but both times were friendlies.
    Was thinking the same earlier, I think he might be. Cant see why not unless there is an age cap on switching, he is 31 I think. It all died down after they capped him, naturally enough, but he only played friendlies, and we know what that can mean, eh, James McCarthy ?
    Last edited by CraftyToePoke; 28/06/2011 at 1:43 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Yes, it looks like he is.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo