Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 18 of 72 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Thread: Shane Duffy D Norwich b.1992

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Regarding your Given comment, I'm not saying Westwood is going to be as good as Shay, but he is a very good young keeper who I'm very happy to have within our ranks. Basically I'm saying while it might be a slight step down, we are still going to have a very good keeper once Shay hangs up his mitts.
    Glad to hear that. I haven't seen much of him to be honest. How about the U21 and U19 'keepers? I've heard that there's another young Donegal keeper in the U19 squad... Hopefully he's taken inspiration from Packie and Shay!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    Glad to hear that. I haven't seen much of him to be honest. How about the U21 and U19 'keepers? I've heard that there's another young Donegal keeper in the U19 squad... Hopefully he's taken inspiration from Packie and Shay!
    The Finn Harps keeper is Irish under 19 keeper, Ciaran Gallagher, got good potential, time will tell. Also the under 16 or under 17 keeper is from Donegal and is being tracked by nearly all the top clubs over the water. He is from Glenea, think his name is Joe Coll or something like that!
    Last edited by cestlavie; 03/03/2010 at 9:17 PM. Reason: additon name

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts
    There must be something in Donegal water!

The Independent is suggesting that Duffy will be promoted sooner rather than later:
    McShane struggled against the Brazilians, but Trapattoni has given the Hull man a vote of confidence and feels he is improving under his tutelage. However, he indicated that a rapid promotion for recent recruit Shane Duffy is likely.
    The Derry-born Everton defender, who represented Northern Ireland up to U-21 level and had been lined up for a senior debut in Albania last night, upset Nigel Worthington by throwing his lot in with the Republic a fortnight ago.
    Duffy and his family were guests of the FAI at the Emirates and, conscious of Ireland's lack of riches in the centre-half department, Trapattoni is contemplating bringing him to an end-of-season gathering, that is yet to be arranged, before the RDS friendlies with Paraguay and Algeria.
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...d-2087957.html

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    To view the lad as a white knight for us would be very silly. Yes he has plenty of potential but he is very very young (only 18 if im right). Im not saying he shouldnt be called up to the training squad this summer, but I think to expect him to be a serious contender for the squad for the next campaign is a bit premature. Give the lad time, its not that long ago many on here were exalting McShane as our next great defender, very hard to hear anyone say such words now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts
    Yeah, a rapid promotion like that after the events of recent weeks would mean a lot of scrutiny and pressure on the lad. The training camp will give Trap an opportunity to work with him and see how he rates him, but he should maybe slot into the U21 set up first. God knows they need a centre half or two, judging by the reports from last night's game.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    They or we ?

St Ledger has done more than could be expected since coming in but I'd prefer Dunne and OShea at CH and I have always thought a fit Kelly is good enough for RB.
    There is dearth of CH quality after those 3. McShane is not getting worse but he still has that one big mistake in his game which undoes a lot of his good work.
    There is a space that Duffy could fill in the squad but he would have to be a remarkable talent to get in so young.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts
    I don't get hung up on using 'they' or 'we' geysir. I use them both when talking about the team. Although, perhaps it was my subconscious distancing me from Don Givens...

I'd much rather Duffy went through our U21s (or even U19s, since he's still young enough!), because he is still very young and has only had two senior games for Everton. It would probably be far too much to expect a young lad to step up right away. That said, Trap included 19 year old Cunningham in the squad, who had only 45 minutes of senior football under his belt.

There's no doubt that his switch is very good news for us though, given our relatively weak defence. He's highly rated at Goodison and I think he captains the reserves from time to time, so it will be interesting to see if he will break into the Everton first team or go out on loan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,338 Posts
    Cunningham was included out of necessity, Trapattoni needed to look at an alternative left full. From what I saw last night, Cian Hughton is not up to the job. Ward's omission is puzzling, but Trapattoni did get to see him in the B game VS Forest in 2008. He's mentioned Conor Powell as well, but there's no real reason to call him up until he's match fit
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    I don't get hung up on using 'they' or 'we' geysir. I use them both when talking about the team. Although, perhaps it was my subconscious distancing me from Don Givens...
    Anyway I was mistaken, I misread your reply, I thought you were referring to the Brazil game which would have been more of a "we", but you were referring to the defense in the u21s in a game you did not see. Even by strict standards of 'we' and 'they' usage, it's appropriate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts
    On the bench for Everton today. He's been getting rave reviews playing for the reserves and has been captaining them I believe.

http://www.toffeeweb.com/season/09-1...issionID=14883

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    On the bench for Everton today. He's been getting rave reviews playing for the reserves and has been captaining them I believe.

http://www.toffeeweb.com/season/09-1...issionID=14883
    Reserves boss Alan Stubbs seems impressed by Duffy

"He was one player who stood up against the test and he led by example."

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archiv...es-to-be-taken
    Last edited by co. down green; 04/04/2010 at 8:48 PM. Reason: .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts
    Duffy was awarded Everton's Reserve Player of the Year this evening and some Everton fans are suggesting that he could get a game against Portsmouth.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Would be a good idea to blood some new faces since 6th is now out of their reach.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I thought Duffy might have been handed a run-out today as Everton had little to lose other than honour, but there was no place for him in the squad, unfortunately.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts
    Seems he had a great first game. Glad to hear it.

Irish unearth a gem in Duffy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Sounds like an exciting prospect from that. Good to hear he did well and seems to have settled in well. Would be a good idea to keep him training with the side when the rest of the seniors join up for the friendlies, even if he hasn't, inexplicably, yet been cleared to play. He'll get a bit of experience with them and familiarise himself with a few more faces/future team-mates.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Has he played for everton yet ?
    Ahhh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    He's made two appearances in the Europa League for Everton. I think that's all so far anyway. He made his debut last December coming on as a sub against AEK Athens before playing the full 90 minutes against BATE Borisov. He's been on the bench a few times otherwise, but hasn't made an appearance in the Premier League.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,338 Posts
    one start, one introduction, and 24 times left on the bench: http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/Play...7&seasonID=139
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Page 18 of 72 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast