Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 20 of 70 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Shane Duffy D Norwich b.1992

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    To be fair, having seen it since, the initial tone has been tempered and credit where it's due.

Edit.
    Hmm.

Just re-read again. No problem with any comments re. his recovery but still 4-5 posters posting stuff like "hope he never plays again" or "never kicks a ball again" which just goes to show the extent of their bitterness.
    Though to be fair also, none of the North's supporters who post on here.
    Last edited by ArdeeBhoy; 23/05/2010 at 2:25 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Thank god he'll be ok

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    Hes lucky to be alive , please help wish him well by joining this facebook group get well soon Shane Duffy http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...01563639891175

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    To be fair, having seen it since, the initial tone has been tempered and credit where it's due.
    I appreciate your qualification, AB, but would point out that it wan't even a "tone", it was one comment (among many), which was immediately challenged.

And as for the poster in question, he later pointed out that his actual phrase was "Hell slap it up them" i.e. he was slating the FAI, not the player ("him"). And having met the guy, I'm happy to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Beyond that, all I would add is to wish Duffy a speedy and complete recovery.

5. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Hopefully he'll do in reverse what George Best did before him when he became a world class player and then messed up his liver.

Well done the the medical team, and good luck Shane.

A quick witted referee saved my life in 1994 when after a kick to the head I was knocked out, swallowed my tongue and my jaw locked. The referee prized my mouth open with his whistle and knew what to do to get my tongue back out.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    sounds like a terrible injury,lets hope he makes a full recovery,looks like a decent prospect for the future

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    I appreciate your qualification, AB, but would point out that it wan't even a "tone", it was one comment (among many), which was immediately challenged.

And as for the poster in question, he later pointed out that his actual phrase was "Hell slap it up them" i.e. he was slating the FAI, not the player ("him"). And having met the guy, I'm happy to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I have looked in(Owc forum) once or twice on this issue and I agree with what you say Ealing Green. Its good to see that when something as serious as this has happened that people have responded in a good manner.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Hopefully he'll do in reverse what George Best did before him when he became a world class player and then messed up his liver.

Well done the the medical team, and good luck Shane.

A quick witted referee saved my life in 1994 when after a kick to the head I was knocked out, swallowed my tongue and my jaw locked. The referee prized my mouth open with his whistle and knew what to do to get my tongue back out.
    Jayzus.. Seriously. I've seen that on tele etc and I have nightmares about that actually happening to me. (still play a bit of GAA).. Never seen it for real in the flesh thank God.
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post

Sad then, that you saw fit to refer to 'us' by the 'B' word, re.Daniel Kearns in the same thread. Humility obviously can only go so far......

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Tbh dont care less what is written on OWC or another site for that matter.
    Was shocked to hear the news on sat morning, but am glad he is on the way back. Various reports in the papers over the wkd but the general consenus seems to be that he will be back playing in 3-4 months. So as mentioned above as respects his career it has happened at a good time, he is young and he has the summer months to recuperate. All the best to Shane and hope to see him back in the green in not too long. He seems to have caught Traps eye during the training camp. Hats off to the medical team at both the FAI and the mater as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Thankfully it seems Shane is out of danger now. Here's hoping he makes a speedy and full recovery.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Good luck with the recovery Shane. Top marks to the medical team who saved his life.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    The Indo (Dan O'Donnell) carries a detailed article, it was literally down to fractions to save his life.

Training "Incident"

on Dr. Alan Byrne
    When Byrne came on to treat the player, he sensed there was something unusual going on within 30 seconds, although he could never have anticipated the scale of it at that juncture. The lanky centre-back required oxygen on the pitch and the initial fears were related to possible cardiac complications.

"Then I noticed a bruise under his lower abdomen where your liver is," said Byrne. "I knew we were in trouble. His pulse was okay, and I listened to his heart and lungs. I knew we needed to get to hospital quickly."

It was a frantic journey, with O'Byrne on the phone to Byrne to relay worrying updates. Between them, they made contact with the hospital who were able to make preparations for his arrival.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Terrible incident, get well soon lad.

I know his Dad has posted on various message boards and his cousin has posted here before so if either are reading they have my thoughts and best wishes for a speedy recovery for Shane. He'll get some reception when he gets to don the green in a game in front of a crowd.
    Last edited by Drumcondra 69er; 24/05/2010 at 11:50 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    Terrible incident, get well soon lad.

I know his Dad has posted on various message boards and his cousin has posted here before so if either are reading they have my thoughts and best wishes for a speedy recovery for Shane. He'll get some reception when he gets to don the green in a game in front of a crowd.
    Thankk God he's going to be ok. Hope he gets well soon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    http://www.u.tv/UTVMediaPlayer/Defau...x?vidid=130485

14:20 for coverage of Duffy's injury.

Imagine in 10 years time if both Duffy and Mark O'Brien become our centre-back pairing, having both undergone life-saving surgery.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    I read during the week that some of the management and squad might visit Shane in hospital during the week. That'd be a nice touch.

I was also enlightened to the fact that some people believe this lad 'turned his back on his country' and was getting his just desserts. As if the construct known as 'Northern Ireland' was in any way legitimate to a proud Irishman.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Was in the Derry News today that Duffy could be back training in a few weeks, which would be absolutely remarkable, considering it's only about a month after his life-threatening injury.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    the fact that this happened in a routine inocuous challenge, is there the chance it could happen again or something similar?! Thats the worry i have, perhaps he is weak in this area or something.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    the fact that this happened in a routine inocuous challenge, is there the chance it could happen again or something similar?! Thats the worry i have, perhaps he is weak in this area or something.
    It was described as a freak injury at the time. I don't think it was down to a weakness or anything like that, just remarkably bad luck.

Page 20 of 70 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast