Thread: Should the Domestic players be playing on the national squad

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Should the Domestic players be playing on the national squad

Just testing the waters on this issue.

Should some of the players in the domestic premier league be playing on trappers team.

If you look at the Northern Ireland Squad a lot of their players would be playing in leagues of a similar standard to our premier league, yet Northern Ireland are on Top of their World Cup Qualifying Group??

Anyone?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    No , not facing the quality or playing to a high enough standard to merit even a token call up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I don't think there's any players playing in the league atm that are capable of playing for the International squad.

However I do think two recent departee's would be capable of it, in Keith Fahey, and Seamus Coleman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,633 Posts
    i agree and would generally state that we dont have to validate our support for the league by whether or not we have players that would play internationally. Realistically at the moment, we should be developing players with a view to transferring them to the bigger leagues across the water. We should take pride in our players that successfully make the transition abroad (Foley, Coleman) and then, hopefully, international recognition (Doyle, Long). The FAI should do everything possible to aid our clubs in doing this. We should aim to be a selling league for now and to try and do that as well as possible with as much help as possible from "the powers that be".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    there should be a rule whereby 50 per cent of national teams must be home based or have played in national league. as i mentioned we are in the ludicrous position of having an entire squad based in one country that isnt our own

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    I think so.

To be honest, we are a very small country, and we should avail of any avneue for players, provided there good enough of course.

I'd loved to see it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,633 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    there should be a rule whereby 50 per cent of national teams must be home based or have played in national league. as i mentioned we are in the ludicrous position of having an entire squad based in one country that isnt our own
    but tokenism or rules like your suggesting IU would just devalue an already struggling international game. You wouldnt see an influx of international standard into the league - 1) the league couldnt sustain the wages and 2) the players would just retire from international football as a result of (1).

At present there is nobody standing out as ready to contribute to the Irish set up and i think that, instead of introducing some wishy washy rules that would damage our international team in the long term, FIFA and the FAI should be looking at ensuring countries keep their young players at home for as long as possible developing them with clubs selling them on, making money that goes back to the clubs and rewards the best players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    it would have long term benefit as people would then be forced to re-evaluate the mindset of getting that 'big' move to england. people who claim to be such fans of irish soccer would then have to give attention to LOI

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Definately not. That's not to say that there aren't any players talented enough, there are a couple that would not look out of place in the current Irish side. Gamble in midfield springs to mind. However, even if Gamble (or whatever great LOI player you want in the squad) is good enough, he spends half the season playing against part-time and not-so-great teams. Just because the player is good enough doesn't mean they warrant a call-up. Thet have to consistantly be doing good in a good league, and the LOI unfortunately isn't good enough yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    It's near impossible to tell at this level if someone has it or not.
    So no, is my answer for now.

I would like to see 3 home based players in every squad, that's my bias view I suppose. Whether they would be good enough to be there or not, is another story.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    Thet have to consistantly be doing good in a good league, and the LOI unfortunately isn't good enough yet.
    I actually giggled when reading this post. Not a whole lot of our players are consistently doing well at the moment.
    It's nothing to do with whether they are playing part time or full time, it's got to do with whether you add to the sqaud or whether there is someone who would add more.

If Joe Gamble would add more to the squad than Keith Fahey, it would be ridiculous to say Fahey should be in ahead because he's in England.
    Last edited by Dyl10; 07/04/2009 at 10:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Definately not. That's not to say that there aren't any players talented enough, there are a couple that would not look out of place in the current Irish side. Gamble in midfield springs to mind. However, even if Gamble (or whatever great LOI player you want in the squad) is good enough, he spends half the season playing against part-time and not-so-great teams. Just because the player is good enough doesn't mean they warrant a call-up. Thet have to consistantly be doing good in a good league, and the LOI unfortunately isn't good enough yet.
    if everyone used that analogy then luka modric or eduardo would not have been selected by bilic while playing in croatia. as far as im concerned england sucks the uniqueness out of a player. its a disgrace that fahey wasnt called up on the back of his form with pats. sometimes i see why many loi fans dont care for national team. it would be nice to be able to see our players on a continous basis

in reality the english b team phrase is righ
    Last edited by irishultra; 07/04/2009 at 11:21 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    So you think that Keith Fahy won't be a better player, and better equipped to compete at international level, now that he is in the Championship? Do you not think he's better off playing against the likes of Southampton or Crystal Palace or Reading, rather than Bray Wanderers or Dundalk? Get real. I'm an avid supporter of the domestic league but anybody who thinks a player from our league will up up to pace with players that play at a MUCH higher level week in week out has their head in the sand. Once again, I'm not saying that there aren't any players good enough. However, they aren't going to be able to hold their own in Bari if their last few games were against Part-Time teams in front of 800 people.

As for the comment about my team, Kildare County, obviously we don't have any players who are pushing for the international team, grow up. We do have a Kildare based squad of young players and, tripe as we may be at the moment, it's a team that are willing to try their damndest for their club.

Also, the Croatian League is miles ahead of ours. Sure, we've had the odd European upset in our favour, but if you put any top tier team from their league into our league, they would walk it, and would probably have the best facilities to boot.

Face it - playing well against Bray or UCD or Dundalk doesn't warrant an international call-up, no matter how good you are.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Once again, I'm not saying that there aren't any players good enough. However, they aren't going to be able to hold their own in Bari if their last few games were against Part-Time teams in front of 800 people.
    What you are saying is we don't really know if somebody is good enough or not until they've been tested at a higher level?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    What you are saying is we don't really know if somebody is good enough or not until they've been tested at a higher level?
    Pretty much. Until they have proven themselves to be consstently good at a higher level.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Are there any loi players better than mcshane if so you have your answer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderThighs View Post
    Brian Murphy off Bohs looks like he would be decent,i'd give him a few "B" games first.
    I would say he is good enough for the squad.

As for players better then McShane.................. theres a young lad playing in a neighbouring garden here, at the age of 6, who is better then that tool.

I think our coaching methods could be looked at here first, if players are not fit enough coming from LOI to play in the English Championship then that could be somewhere to start.
    If we still had Doyle, Long and co. still in the league, would they be internationals? They would still be the same players. The only way they would have improved is on their fitness or maybe the coaching.
    If they were internationals then im sure crowds would increase as a result.
    Its a knock on effect that I doubt will take on in my life time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    The Scandinavian countries usually send national teams away on international duty during the Winter months. These teams would be made up of players playing domestically or in the other Scandinavian leagues. Sweden, for example, played Mexico and the US in friendly matches this January gone. I don't see why the FAI can't organise similar tours for our domestic based players during the Winter months.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    The Scandinavian countries usually send national teams away on international duty during the Winter months. These teams would be made up of players playing domestically or in the other Scandinavian leagues. Sweden, for example, played Mexico and the US in friendly matches this January gone. I don't see why the FAI can't organise similar tours for our domestic based players during the Winter months.
    great idea

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Unadministrable nonsense that'd end in farce. I won't even go near the ifs and buts of how and why anyone could get around it. It's self evident.

it would have long term benefit as people would then be forced to re-evaluate the mindset of getting that 'big' move to england. people who claim to be such fans of irish soccer would then have to give attention to LOI
    Here's my re-evaluation ...I can stay in Ireland and play for my home town club earning part-time wages just so I get to play international football with a team hogtied by a 50% part-timer rule thus increasing the risk we'll be hockeyed on a regular basis -OR I can retire from international football before I'm ever picked and go play football in England where, not alone could I make a much better living playing in the actual Premier League ...I could probably make a better one playing in the Blue Square Premier League and that playing in front of better attendances.

it would be nice to be able to see our players on a continous basis
    ...the ones picked are "our" players. The best players available should be picked regardless of who or where they play their club football.

in reality the english b team phrase is righ
    WTF?
    great idea
    ...now you want it both ways. You're unhappy to see the lack of LoI representation in the squad but are happy for the LOI players to be relegated to an effective LoI selection or at best an Ireland "B" squad to be sent off on friendly tours out of season? ...and to what end?
    Last edited by Lionel Ritchie; 08/04/2009 at 11:18 AM.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    i cant respond to that in full cause im using ps3 but when i say watch our players on a weekly basis i mean the way they can in germany austria switzerland scotland england spain etc etc. as i said bar one or two of our players they never even played a game in our league. that might be ok if it was one or two players but when its the same situation squad after squad, year after year decade after decade you really need to re-evualate the mindset of a country. 6+5 rule tbh i cant wait for

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast