Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is Alan Hunter?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Who is Alan Hunter?

I see Alan Hunter made it on to Questions and Answers (RTE 1) last night. Every time there is a controversy of some sort, Mr. Hunter is there 'speaking for the fans'.

A few days ago he was interviewed on RTE TV news with a tri-colour around his neck saying that if necessary soccer supporters would 'force' their way into Croke Park to ensure that the World Cup qualifiers could be played there.

Mr Hunter seems to have come to prominence following the ill-fated FAI-Sky deal and now every time there is a potential news story he is the one who is contacted by the media for the 'fan's view'. Incidentally the official Republic of Ireland Supporters Club have disassociated themselves from Mr Hunter and his organisation. (See roissc.com/IFSA.HTM)

Who is Alan Hunter? Who are the IFSA?

Should this man be taken seriously?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Re: Who is Alan Hunter?

Originally posted by republic
    Who is Alan Hunter?
    He is one huge space cadet. As you say, he's wheeled in by the meeja cos he's a f*ckin eejit. Ask anyone from the RISSC and you get some sense being spoken. Get this l*nger in and it's panto time. I've yet to see this bloke but I think the first time I heard him was on Sky just after the scum wrecked the west stand in 95 - well it was some amadam from the IFSA. Wanted the scum to forfeit the following year's European Championships (yes, yes, talking sense here mate, I thought) then he blew his cover as just another day release from an teach mor when he demanded it should be switched to Ireland. Breaking down the gates of Croker like the unwashed of the French revolution at the Bastille is definitely his style. As they say in Laandan taan, 'es radio rental.
    Should this man be taken seriously?
    Definitely not!!!
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Re: Who is Alan Hunter?

Originally posted by lopez
    He is one huge space cadet. As you say, he's wheeled in by the meeja cos he's a f*ckin eejit. Ask anyone from the RISSC and you get some sense being spoken. Get this l*nger in and it's panto time. I've yet to see this bloke but I think the first time I heard him was on Sky just after the scum wrecked the west stand in 95 - well it was some amadam from the IFSA. Wanted the scum to forfeit the following year's European Championships (yes, yes, talking sense here mate, I thought) then he blew his cover as just another day release from an teach mor when he demanded it should be switched to Ireland. Breaking down the gates of Croker like the unwashed of the French revolution at the Bastille is definitely his style. As they say in Laandan taan, 'es radio rental.

Definitely not!!!
    He's one huge space cadet alright, I reckon he weighs about 20 stone. He looks like an armchair footballer. I reckon he only started to support Ireland in 1988. Saw him on Question and Answers and he suggested that Irish National League clubs should enter a side representing the Republic of Ireland in the Premiership. He's probably never been to a National League match in his life. He certainly doesn't speak for me. The guy should be locked up in a secure mental institution.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Re: Who is Alan Hunter?

He is one huge space cadet. As you say, he's wheeled in by the meeja cos he's a f*ckin eejit. Ask anyone from the RISSC and you get some sense being spoken....
    I knew it would be good when compere John Bowman pointed to the audience and asked for a question from "the man in the pink shirt". There was talk about a "march" although no details were forthcoming from Hunter. His previous interview on RTE News was ridiculous. The impression he gave was that he would lead a band of his followers to Croke Park to break down the gates.

I simply don't understand why this person is wheeled out every time there is a controversy. Why do the ROISSC not put forward a spokesman in preference to this person?

Is he the only member of the IFSA? Does anyone know anything about this organisation??

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Re: Re: Who is Alan Hunter?

The impression he gave was that he would lead a band of his followers to Croke Park.

Is he the only member of the IFSA? Does anyone know anything about this organisation??
    Does he have an followers? He calls himself "General Secratary" of the "IFSA". The "IFSA" don't have any website. I wouldn't be surprised if he was the only member as you said.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts

Re: Re: Re: Re: Who is Alan Hunter?

Originally posted by Paddy Ramone
    He calls himself "General Secratary" of the "IFSA".
    The media take a guy who can't spell 'secretary' seriously?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Re: Re: Re: Re: Who is Alan Hunter?

Originally posted by Paddy Ramone
    Does he have an followers? He calls himself "General Secratary" of the "IFSA". The "IFSA" don't have any website. I wouldn't be surprised if he was the only member as you said.
    When I first heard about the 'IFSA' in 95 I thought: 'Who da f*ck are you?'. I mean I was involved with the RISSC in London then and ran a fanzine. It's not like I didn't put my ear to the ground about the Irish team and its supporters occasionally. Then I heard that they had 10,000 members. Right! I don't like to mock the mentally ill, but most of the people that are institutionalised would contribute more to society than clowns like him. I mean marching on Croke Park. Who's he think he is? Musso-f*ckin-lini?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I saw the muppet on RTE last night annd switched off. If RTE want to have debate amongst sports people they should have people on that you can take seriously with mr hunter u can't

I have'nt missed a home or away game for many a year and i have never seem him at a game.

On another note RTE cocked up badly tonight by running a very amatuer report about the irish u20's been on there way out of the competition. After running the report my tony o'donaghue who stated ireland were all but out then presenter had to inform us ireland were fighting back as the score was 2-1 with 5 mins to go well we know it went to extra time and we were beat but i suppose what do u expect from such an amatuer organisation.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Unbelievable SD. RTE used to be a top station, but in recent years it, like most other meeja in Ireland, have gone to the dogs. Surprised El Loco doesn't have his own collumn in the Daily Star or something, banging on about the state of soccer.

And what's with the Sunday Blueshirt and the shedload of Fannings? Are they related to the editor? F*cking nepotism.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Red face

Hunter is a complete nutter. He one of the few people you see who is capable of contradicting himself in the same sentence. He has no members in his organisation, has no mandate, has no clue & at this stage i think all the media know he is a nutter but he makes entertaining tv for them.

I think he was involved with some supporters travel club in the 70's which is where he gets his 50,000 members from.

Even on Questions & Answers i'm sure you could see the panel having a laugh at his expense.

Sure during the World Cup he started off with Keane as a traitor & a few months later was up in arms about wanting Mick McCarthy ousted.

About the only worrying thing about him is that i think the FAI had a "meeting" with him last year.

http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Exclamation .....................................

If any of you remember a while back some people wanted ot organise supporters so they could represent the supporters of football, domestic and international so they could replace this loon and actually be able to do something for the benifit of Irish football fans ..... no one took this up. At least Mr Hunter is putting himself out there, more than other people are doing anyway.

It is all very well to throw stones when youare sitting on the fence.

Loon or no loon ...... The "meeja" can only speak to people who want to be spoken to.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Originally posted by Conor74
    We should call his bluff, turn up at his house with axes and hammers and tell him we're his biggest fans and followers and we're ready to storm Croke Park...
    Call his bluff? What if he called ours?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Originally posted by John83
    Call his bluff? What if he called ours?

Tonight Croke Park.....tomorrow Dail Eireann.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Re: .....................................

Originally posted by A face
    It is all very well to throw stones when you are sitting on the fence.
    Normally I cringe when I see mixed metaphors, but that is sublime! Good work A face!

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Tonight Croke Park.....tomorrow Dail Eireann.
    What about Aras an Uachtarain. Alan Hunter for President!

fonzi
    he's just another verson of Tom The Gom.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Re: .....................................

Originally posted by A face
    At least Mr Hunter is putting himself out there, more than other people are doing anyway.
    Yeah he can say whatever he wants but can't claim he represents anyone let alone 50,000 "members".
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Originally posted by fonzi
    he's just another verson of Tom The Gom.
    Except that no one has ever seen him at a match.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Schumi
    Except that no one has ever seen him at a match.
    I'd say became a supporter of Irish team during Italia 90. He has seen all Ireland's matches on television since then giving him impeccable creditionals to represent the typical Irish soccer fan.
    Last edited by Paddy Ramone; 12/12/2003 at 12:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Exclamation Re: Re: .....................................

Originally posted by pete
    Yeah he can say whatever he wants but can't claim he represents anyone let alone 50,000 "members".
    Ahh .... but thats where you're wrong ... Joe public is under the impression that the 50,000 fans have put him in place to represent us ..... and he is getting away with it.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast