Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 95 of 119 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,900 of 2379

Thread: Séamus Coleman (D Everton b.1988)

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Far as I have read, he wasn't ever the first target and Darmian was always preferred. I wouldn't rule out both signing though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,315 Posts
    It's also equally likely that the (reported) massive transfer fee would have put United off
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    It'd be the first time in a long time they have been put off by a high transfer fee.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,096 Posts
    If they got 10m for Rafael and bought Coleman for 20m then it wouldn't be as bad.

CD pointed out it might happen yet. Darmian can play centre half as well so maybe he's a Rojo-type signing- signed for centre half, full back and wingback. I think they've more pressing concerns than signing two right-sided defenders, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    If United really wanted Coleman they would get him I think. They haven't been shy in splashing the cash over the last year or so. I have never seen this Darmian chap live but just watched an eight minute YouTube video to get an idea what kind of player he is. YouTube could make a hero of me playing five aside but he does seem to have a bit going for him, strong and aggressive but tidy and skillful. It might be slightly unfair to just judge a few stats like goals, assists and international caps to compare him with Coleman. Van Gaal seems meticulous and it just depends on what he's after. Coleman and Rafael are quite similar in playing style and Rafael has been all but frozen out in the past season despite Van Gaal praising his attitude. Time will tell but Italian internationals tend to be able to defend first and foremost, and this guy seems extremely versatile, something you couldn't really say about Coleman. I also feel TOWK's frustration though, this really looked like our main chance to have somebody playing at a really top level and, better still, excelling at that level. Hopefully it could still happen but I wouldn't share CD's confidence if this deal for Darmian does go through.

Edit- just saw on Sky that Darmian played all three games at the WC so I would have seen him, just didn't take a lot of notice. I was actually more interested in seeing their other versatile full back, Di Sciglio, who was excellent against us at Craven Cottage. He was injured for the first couple of games though.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 07/07/2015 at 6:04 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    If they got 10m for Rafael and bought Coleman for 20m then it wouldn't be as bad.

CD pointed out it might happen yet. Darmian can play centre half as well so maybe he's a Rojo-type signing- signed for centre half, full back and wingback. I think they've more pressing concerns than signing two right-sided defenders, though.
    Anytime I've seen him for Italy he's been on the left too. God knows Luke Shaw is hardly an intimidating prospect at left back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    It seems he made his debut at right back against us and went on to hold his place there for the subsequent World Cup games. He's been an ever present since in Euro qualifying, playing mainly on the right or right of a back three, but more recently on the left in the friendly against England and qualifier in Croatia, presumably due to Di Sciglio picking up an injury. Bit early to judge Shaw I think (despite being obviously overpriced) given his lack of fitness last season. Daley Blind had a good run at left back last season in any case and holding down a central midfield spot looks like it will be even more difficult for him next season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Anytime I've seen him for Italy he's been on the left too. God knows Luke Shaw is hardly an intimidating prospect at left back.
    I'd still be inclined to think United a fairly well covered at left back with Shaw, Blind and even Rojo all capable of covering that side, for now at least, but this article has made the same suggestion as you CD. I hope it turns out to be accurate and there might be hope for Coleman yet.

Like Van Gaal, Torino coach Giampiero Ventura’s preference for a 3-5-2 often saw Darmian deployed as a left wing-back, and he could well displace Luke Shaw at Old Trafford.Last summer’s €35 million signing is yet to convince with either his performances or ability to avoid unwanted injuries, and the stature of Shaw’s price tag will mean little to his newfound competitor in Darmian.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/s...an-143269.html

So it sound like the max they will get from the sale in total is £160,000. Looks like bad business, but not every player will be a Coleman and I expect the clubs are not in a strong negotiating position, glad of any cash I imagine.
    What about the FIFA regulation on solidarity contributions? If that works, that would mean Sligo get 1% of the transfer fee for the 2 seasons he was with them?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Can't put up the money to buy a proven Premier League RB for what is a problem position, but they apparently have the money to pay over £20 million pounds for a 31 year old midfielder in a position where they are already well stocked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    They are far from well stocked with midfielders/players with Schweinsteiger's experience, leadership and class. They struggled any time Carrick was injured last season, which was a lot. Plus I've only seen reports or £14-15m, which seems very reasonable to me given what he should bring to them. Not sure where you're getting £20m from unless you're including wages or something.

They have been pretty proactive with regards their right back problem area. It made sense to sign Darmian, they obviously knew Torino were willing to negotiate and they got him for what seems like a very reasonable fee and, on paper at least, he seems to tick a lot of LVG boxes. There are no guarantees that Everton would be as easy to negotiate with and they might just think that Darmian is a better fit in any case, time will tell but I doubt it's a case of really wanting Coleman but being too mean to put up the cash.

If Coleman was English we might well be saying he's overpriced because of it, and fair play to United for going to the continent for better value instead of just taking the easy option, a la Shaw, Clyne, etc.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    What about the FIFA regulation on solidarity contributions? If that works, that would mean Sligo get 1% of the transfer fee for the 2 seasons he was with them?
    Only applies if he's transferred across borders AFAIK, and even so English clubs try not to pay it.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Can't put up the money to buy a proven Premier League RB for what is a problem position, but they apparently have the money to pay over £20 million pounds for a 31 year old midfielder in a position where they are already well stocked.
    You seem to be taking this personally.

It's easy to see why United didn't go for Coleman. At 27 and with 4 years left on his contract Everton would've demanded a fee of around £25m, or perhaps more, for him. Whilst I believe he could play for one the top 4 clubs and acquit himself well, Darmian represents better value and, according to many observers, will bring a greater defensive solidity than Coleman would have.

Your point on Schweinsteiger is just silly. Firstly, the fee is rumoured to be upwards of £15m, not £20m, and he has genuine world class pedigree in an area of the pitch where United have none, bar Di Maria.

(Basically.....what DeLorean said. )
    Last edited by The Fly; 11/07/2015 at 5:08 PM. Reason: Just saw DeLorean's post

16. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Only applies if he's transferred across borders AFAIK, and even so English clubs try not to pay it.
    I see that cross border restriction for the training costs compensation but not for the solidarity contribution

have a read of transfer regulations
    page 62 and 63 training costs
    page 65 solidarity contribution

If Sligo don't want it, can I buy their claim for a fiver?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    and he has genuine world class pedigree in an area of the pitch where United have none, bar Di Maria.
    is di maria really world class? had seen him play for real madrid plenty of times and when utd paid what they did i was completely flabergasted. i honestly dont see why he has the reputation he has

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    is di maria really world class? had seen him play for real madrid plenty of times and when utd paid what they did i was completely flabergasted. i honestly dont see why he has the reputation he has
    He's certainly very good. But i haven't seen anything to say he's World Class yet
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I see that cross border restriction for the training costs compensation but not for the solidarity contribution

have a read of transfer regulations
    page 62 and 63 training costs
    page 65 solidarity contribution

If Sligo don't want it, can I buy their claim for a fiver?
    The entire regulation is limited in scope to transfers between national associations. From the preamble:

These regulations lay down global and binding rules concerning the status of players, their eligibility to participate in organised football, and their transfer between clubs belonging to different associations.

22. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    I see that now, scope nr1.

Strange though that the cross association requirement is written in triplicate in annex 4 Training Compensation, but not a peep in annex 5 Solidarity Contribution.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I believe that was the reason for an earlier case where Crumlin United were awarded a cut of Robbie Keane's transfer from Leeds to Spurs, only for them then to clarify it was only to apply in cases of cross-association transfers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    My intention with the 'bar Di Maria' comment was to hint at the potential world class performances he can deliver.

He was certainly world class in his final season at Real Madrid. Indeed many highlighted him as Madrid's most important player.

Page 95 of 119 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105 ... LastLast