Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: premier players in squad

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

premier players in squad

question for ye lads,if limerick did gain promotion from the first division next season how many of the current squad do ye think would be capable of making the step up.
    promotion,going on results in the last third of the season,could be a distinct possibility.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Players who could easily make the step up IMO:

Wayne
    Paddy
    Tommy
    Jason Hughes
    Thomas Lyons
    Gary Sheehan

There would be a nice few others that wouldn't be too far off.

All depends what you mean by making the step up though??

There's some awful rubbish in the lower half of the Premier Division

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    With the age of alot of our players i think plenty of players could make the step up as hopefully they can only improve.....all that would be needed then is to add a little bit of Premier experience to the squad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    Players who could easily make the step up IMO:

Wayne
    Paddy
    Tommy
    Jason Hughes
    Thomas Lyons
    Gary Sheehan

There would be a nice few others that wouldn't be too far off.

All depends what you mean by making the step up though??

There's some awful rubbish in the lower half of the Premier Division
    see your point...i'd say it's a lot harder to get into the premier league than get out of it...a bit like the irish rugby team of years ago...when it was picked by the leinster and ulster branches!!
    it's seems to be a two tier league,the premier,with the haves (who owe the whole lot of it),and the have nots(who can't get a loan!!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Wayne Colbert, Tommy Barrett (though, in fairness, if you asked most people on here, he could walk into the Wolves team in the morning - and they'd be right of course!) and Gary Sheehan would be regular first teamers. A few of the others could fill in without looking out of place, but I'd have to agree that there's a huge difference between teams who survive up there every year and those who can push on.
    We tend to believe that words enable thought. But words can also substitute for thought.

- Richard A. Posner

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Jason Hughes would waltz on to some Premier Division teams.

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Colbert and Barrett definitely. I suspect that Paddy Purcell has possibly just passed his peak after his last injury and could get found out a little. I'd like to see the likes of Hughes, Lyons and Sheehan do it consistently for another half season or so before passing judgement on them. Stephen O'Mahony in his first season looked as good as either of them, captained the Irish U-19s and sorta tailed off afterwards before going back to where he'd come from... any of the three players named above could yet sink or swim. Hughes in particular though looks like he should make it. I think Danaher would get by too.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post
    Colbert and Barrett definitely. I suspect that Paddy Purcell has possibly just passed his peak after his last injury and could get found out a little. I'd like to see the likes of Hughes, Lyons and Sheehan do it consistently for another half season or so before passing judgement on them. Stephen O'Mahony in his first season looked as good as either of them, captained the Irish U-19s and sorta tailed off afterwards before going back to where he'd come from... any of the three players named above could yet sink or swim. Hughes in particular though looks like he should make it. I think Danaher would get by too.
    Was thinking more along the lines of some of the rubbish with regards to Paddy myself man.

As for Jason Hughes, I think I'll fall back on my bulletproof "Ciaran Foley is a professional footballer " argument.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    lads didnt wayne+tommy try it before with rovers didnt do well there wayne might do it now as for tommy hes getting to old i think lim37 will lose a few players this summer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the dazzler View Post
    lads didnt wayne+tommy try it before with rovers didnt do well there wayne might do it now as for tommy hes getting to old i think lim37 will lose a few players this summer
    know that tommy did with rovers,not sure did he go in their promotion year,or after...held his place for a while but dropped down the pecking order a bit after scully got a few more players in.
    tommy's performance's kinda dropped a bit too(surmising),as he was getting married,new house,etc...around that time.
    robbie kelliher also went to rovers and scored a wonder goal up there,still being talked about today.
    wayne afaik was up there,but only for a trail period....could be wrong though.
    just for info lads...eoin hanrahan(borris as he is known),is one of the best prospects to come out of underage soccer for the last couple of years.
    although plays in different position than hughes and lyons ,i would rate him to be at least on par with both players.
    tall wide player,two great feet for a big lad,very strong in possession and a great eye for goal.
    played all his schoolboy football with the view,but signed for pike this year.
    and he still qualifies for the minor grade this year...kerley could do with having a serious look at him

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    ha ha think buzzer is upset that borris is gone to pike mike you should take a look at christy dolye,plus give harrington,heffernan,grant another chance they want one

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by the dazzler View Post
    Wayne played four or five games fo Rover and and Tommy was in the squad everytime he was not injured and started most of the games that he was available including the last game before he got a transfer back against Bohemians. I know for a fact that scully did not want him to go but the travelling up on his own got too much

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Wayne and Tommy would def get into most prem sides.Some of the other lads mentioned prob will within another season or two.Jason,Gary and Brian Collapy look the best prospects of the lot.
    Agree with a previous post that MK should take a good look a Chris Doyle.
    "We've had a lot of good times, but you don't know how good they are until you have the bad ones" Tony Adams

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the only 1 View Post
    ha ha think buzzer is upset that borris is gone to pike mike you should take a look at christy dolye,plus give harrington,heffernan,grant another chance they want one
    see your point...what i was saying is at the end of this season.
    seeing as how the seasons don't clash until the very end of junior,and the start of loi.
    didn't mean anything by it....although i am a fairview supporter,rivalries etc.,have good
    time for a lot of pike people,and admire the fact that they are putting in an amount of work into the schoolboys.
    fairview know above all what it's like to lose players to limerick..
    just think that borris is as good,if not better then what's gone up there and think he would prove me right,given the chance...didn't mean to step on anyone's toes!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Collopy has the makings of a fine keeper,with a few games under his belt and a bit of confidence ye'll see the best of him

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oscar View Post
    Collopy has the makings of a fine keeper,with a few games under his belt and a bit of confidence ye'll see the best of him
    Couldn't agree more.

Davey has improved an awful lot this year aswell though so there's a nice bit of competition there.