Page 77 of 86 FirstFirst ... 27677576777879 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,540 of 1717

Thread: Rate the last film you saw

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Anyone ever see Belgian crime thriller "Bullhead"? Just saw an ad for it there on Film4 looks good. Its on Film4 on Thursday night at 10:50pm
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Never has anything epitomised sheep mentality quite like the Anchorman movies. The only joke that even raised a smile in the first one was when Jack Black kicked the dog off the bridge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Never has anything epitomised sheep mentality quite like the Anchorman movies. The only joke that even raised a smile in the first one was when Jack Black kicked the dog off the bridge.
    Having never seen the first one sober, I amn't in the position to make an objective judgement. I found it hilarious as a drunk first year almost a decade ago!

Last film I saw was the latest hobbit. Entertaining, but overly long, and most of the fight scenes seem to descend into utter farce, which is a disappointment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Noah - 2 out of 5

Overwrought, special effects laden nonsense that mangles a potentially good idea for a movie.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    Calvary - 6/10

I think my expectations were too high. I really liked The Guard and I expected this to build on that and to be something really special. Some of the reviews were also hugely positive so that just added to my anticipation. Unfortunately it just didn't really work for me.

Too may of the characters just don't ring true, there's too little depth to pretty much all of them, and there's some really strange accents that just throw everything off. They almost seem to have shoe horned characters into the film just to give particular actors a part and it's very distracting.

The premise is certainly interesting and the denouement is well handled and really just shows how much potential the idea had. It's unfortunate that much of the build up just struggles to really engage, the only character I think I felt any real connection to was the dog, and that pretty much says it all.

I'd still say give it a look but maybe lower your expectations as, if you expect one of the great Irish films, like I did, you'll end up disappointed.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

6. Thanks From:

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Seen Philomena the other day, was expecting it be be a tour de force, all heavy and have me cursing every few minutes, but was pleasantly surprised as there is a lot of humour in it. Coogan was great. Story is amazing, and a further reason why i hate the CC. Going to try and show it to my parents this evening, and get their reaction!

8. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    Alright, so I haven't seen a film that won't hit the cinema screens till next Valentine's Day, but RTE just put up the trailer for 50 Shades of Grey. Beyonce's 'Crazy in Love' is the mood music, but Mary Coughlan's 'I Would Rather Go Blind' would have been a better choice. You have been warned!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfZWFDs0LxA#t=84
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Saw a few films recerntly

"Snowpiercer" the other week - strange movie - give it a 3/5 but chris evans in the lead role was excellent

"Chef" which i thorughly enjoyed - good , fun , personal kinda movie - excellent performance by jon favreau i thought ...4/5

"Godzilla" - so f**king dissappointing it made me want to cry or fall asleep....2/5

"Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" - bit dissappointed with this one - with the exception of Oldman , all the other actor performances were pretty lame. Excellent special effects , but i found the movie to dwindle on a bit too much and my mind began to drift off......3/5
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by back of the net View Post
    "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" - bit dissappointed with this one - with the exception of Oldman , all the other actor performances were pretty lame. Excellent special effects , but i found the movie to dwindle on a bit too much and my mind began to drift off......3/5
    I'm curious as to what you thought of the previous one, Rise of the Planet of the Apes?

Prepared to be slightly disappointed by this one, as I thought previous was close to perfection (at least, as reboots go)

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A N Mouse View Post
    I'm curious as to what you thought of the previous one, Rise of the Planet of the Apes?

Prepared to be slightly disappointed by this one, as I thought previous was close to perfection (at least, as reboots go)

I really enjoyed Rise of the planet of the Apes - thought it was a very good flick

I dont want to say too much as to why i wasnt so impressed by its sequel as i dont want to spoil it for anyone who has yet to see it

The ending was enjoyable but i thought it dwindled on needless scenes in the middle , some of the apes to human interaction was poorly done in some parts i thought, but that wasnt helped by the fact that the majority of acting perfomances in the movie were just wooden.

Equally though , i will say , my mate whom i saw it with and is a big film buff.....absolutely loved it

let me know ur thoughts when u get around to seeing it A N Mouse
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

13. Thanks From:

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    I thought Rise of the Planet of the Apes was one of the worst movies I ever saw, so if this new one isnt as good, wow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by back of the net View Post
    I really enjoyed Rise of the planet of the Apes - thought it was a very good flick

I dont want to say too much as to why i wasnt so impressed by its sequel as i dont want to spoil it for anyone who has yet to see it

The ending was enjoyable but i thought it dwindled on needless scenes in the middle , some of the apes to human interaction was poorly done in some parts i thought, but that wasnt helped by the fact that the majority of acting perfomances in the movie were just wooden.

Equally though , i will say , my mate whom i saw it with and is a big film buff.....absolutely loved it

let me know ur thoughts when u get around to seeing it A N Mouse
    Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
    I don't think it was a bad film, would agree 3/5.

My view may be jaundiced by my love of the first film, which I saw with zero expectaion, on a good day that one is 5/5. It was very tight. Almost no filler everything served a purpose, lots of little nods, hints, and world building. Any holes were easily excused by the pacing.

This one relied bit too much on macguffins, left a few plotholes wider than sf bay. I agree about unecessary scenes and dialogue - if they weren't overly obscure nods then they're filler albeit something that may be given meaning by later films.

After the first one I was really looking forward to what they'd do with the credits. Seems you had to wait right to the end for a hint, that anyone who was paying attention wouldn't have needed (ok the first one wasn't subtle, but was brilliantly worked throughout the story). There was so much they could have done from cast reveal (the next one scheduled for july 2016), to just being more subtle (all along) about the next installment.

It obvious they're looking at least two more. I think this one would have been better served being split in two. I wouldn't be suprised if a tv show gets mentioned at some point, one about Drefyus between rise and dawn would probably be too much to ask for

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Saw Interstellar 3 nights ago. Was hoping it'd be interesting, exctiting and worth the 2 1/2 hours. It was designed to have some "emotional" moments, but they just didn't work. I know it goes against the grain to say that Christopher Nolan is overrated and boring, but apart from Memento and maybe Insomnia, his movies are a veritable art house lubed up circle you know what. Maybe I don't have the intellect to enjoy Inception (I fell asleep for abuot 30 minutes) or the depth to understand Interstellar, but on acting quality alone this movie was an absolute bust. McConnaughey was poor, the dialogue was dreadful and unreal. 1.5/5 (for the robots).

A few ago had te misfortunate to suffer through Nick Cage's latest vehicle. A christian take on the reckoning or end times. For pure comedy it ranks right up there, and for audience interraction it's second only to Rocky Horror. Kind of great to see comedies like this made, especially as it's meant to be a drama and thriller. Good thing is they saved money on special effects, script, actors, and pretty much everything else. 2/5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Welcome back.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

18. Thanks From:

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    Babadook - One of the most unsettling films I've watched. I'm generally fairly nonplussed when it comes to horror, I enjoy the genre but don't get caught up in the emotion very often, but this got under my skin a bit. I think mainly because it's not really a horror film. It's very much an examination of a psychologically damaged woman who has failed to deal with a huge loss and is struggling to bond with her child. The monster is believable because it's not just a monster if that makes sense. Very well shot and well paced and the acting from the leads is solid. 4/5

Nightcrawler - Good but I was a bit disappointed, for some reason I expected more. I just didn't find it very believable and that made it hard to really buy into it. Jake Gyllenhaal and Rene Russo are excellent and some of the ideas are really interesting but I just couldn't get beyond some of the complete outlandishness for some reason. 3/5

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Thanks Bonnie, was figuring I'd sneak back in unannounced! :-)

Been a long and strange year, will throw some stuff on the usual - "what's on your mind"! After lunch though, am starving right now!

21. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    The Hobbit 3 - revenge of peter jackson. Made it through 30 minutes then left. Was dreadfully slow, ott and unless you're a fan of Tolkien or all the other movies, it's just a let down. 1/5

'71 - finally saw it and while it dragged in parts, overall it was a sad movie, some exciting parts, but just uncomfortable and depressing. Would recommend it. 3.5/5

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    The Interview - proves that the idiocracy is alive and well. Hype and no hope. 1 funny moment with Eminem, apart from that it was a terrible waste of money and time. Seth Rogen can be a decent actor (Bad Neighbours), but this shows how far backwards entertainment has gone when this movie can receive so much fake hype. Sh!te in short. 0.1/5

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Foxcatcher - A pretty disturbing film, well made and Channing Tatum is frightening. Steve Carrell shows his acting ability and Mark Ruffalo is very much the most likeable character on show. It is based on true events from the late 80's when one of the DuPont clan decided to live vicariously through wrestlers and try to exorcise demons of his mother. If the non-stop gore fest that was 12 years as a slave could win oscars, then Foxcatcher deserves something. Worth a watch, if nothing than to see the complete lack of character of sports administrators when faced with money. 3.5/5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Argo - 5/5

Can't recommend this film enough. Paced very well from start to finish, all star cast and the climax builds to a crescendo.

Page 77 of 86 FirstFirst ... 27677576777879 ... LastLast