Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maybe not the correct place, but....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Maybe not the correct place, but....

Are you happy in Ireland?
    (If you live in this god forsaken place of course)

I don't come across it that much in real life, but on Internet sites like Boards.ie, I notice people really have nothing good to say about Ireland.

Everyone is always complaining about 'the ****e weather' or something like this.....

Well I must say I love Ireland. I was walking to the gym today and while I walked in the rain, I just got this feeling of content...ment(add the 'ment' if its proper English).......

So yeah do you like living in Ireland and why....anybody posting negativy will die.............a little inside...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ive recently left Ireland to play football in the States and I have to say after a month here, Im dying to get home. Missing all the small things! Real rashers, batch bread and brown sauce. Also miss the banter that is uniquely Irish. You just dont get humour like it anywhere else in the world. plus nobody here understands me
    4th official"Dermot, relax with the swearing" .Keely"Ah its grand, he's me son"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    well yeah i was born in usa.....parents, one of whom is russian decided to go to the states for a few years back in the 90's.....they couldn't wait to get back to Éire.

I was there for a couple of weeks last month, and while there is positive aspects..I found it very laid back, just something is missing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    I'm proud to be Irish.

But I don't want to live here when I finish college. I'm off then.

There's many reasons why I can't stand living in Ireland, a lot's to do with the majority of Irish people. I could go on for hours and hours about why Irish people continuously **** me off, but I won't.

A brief summary of it would be that we are a nation of moaners who begrudge everybody. We moan but we never do anything about it. It drives me mad and I know that I'm afflicted by this mentality as well.

Anyway, I'll stop before I get going.

I can't stand living here (moaning, see?) and I can't wait to leave.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    Have to say I wasnt entirely happy when I was living there. The obsession with material things with the Celtic tiger being one of them, price of general living, being ripped off left right and centre, crap transportation system, lack of decent jobs and the sh!te weather. But I absolutely love coming back. I wasnt too mad on Dublin nightlife but the more I come back, the more I enjoy it. The talent seems a lot better than when i first left too. Luckily I've a few Irish friends in London so the banter's the same, but miss the smaller things like soda bread, Mikado biscuits and Chef brown sauce. Till I discovered they stock them in Asda over here. I've had a few thoughts of moving back to Ireland, but i know i'll end up wanting to go somewhere else again, but I do love coming back and hope that doesnt change.
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    I'm happyish , But I want to get out of here to experience other cultures and a different way of life , I'm sure that will make me appreciate being here even more .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    8 more years, 8 more years, 8 more years. That's my mantra. In 8 years my youngest lad will be finished school and I am selling up and moving to France. I cant wait. I cant handle this bloody climate. It plays havoc with my asthma. One minute it is beautiful, next I am soaked and dying with a cold which gets into my chest and I end up in hospital with pneumonia! Cant wait to live in the lavender fields of Provence and be able to breathe for a change. Also to be able to buy live's necessities (chesse, wine, bread, wine, fresh veg, wine and did I mention wine?) for next to nothing.

Oh to live in a wine induced drunken bubble for the rest of my days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    The vast majority of people who complain about Ireland have no experience of living in other countries. There's a massive difference between being on holiday somewhere and living and working somewhere.

ANother sizeable chuck of peope are those who literally complain about everything. These people will never be satisfied or happy. They're not unhappy with Ireland, but with their miserable poxy lives. The location is immaterial

Ireland has lots and lots of problems, but so does everywhere else. If you focus on the negative, you're doomed anyway.

Enjoy your live irishultra, and don't let the *******s grind you down
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Having lived in Canada as a child and again for 3 months as a teenager I have a slight experience of living abroad but I agree with you mostly Dodge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Oh and thats not to say that everyone should stay in Ireland either. Go away, experience life in other countries. See what suits you best
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    You telling me to leave? Thanks Dodge!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    I was just back in Ireland for the past week. I'd a great time, got to catch up with some good people, caught a bit of football, was fortunate enough to have some good weather. It was an interesting case of being really happy to have an extended visit, but even happier to not be living there anymore.

I'm living in London now, having been keen on moving for years. It is not perfect, but I am happier here than I had been in Ireland.
    That question was less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

Help me, Arthur Murphy, you're my only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I bow to no one. bar Bluebeard and Mr A

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    horses for coarses.

frank, what you dont understand is if Irish people weren't this way, they would be different in all the ways that make us good as well, so whilst irish people do like to moan and complain its what balances out the other lets have the craic, lets not get down, lets be irish mentality. To counterbalance one would have drastic effects on the irish psyche. We would end up somewhere between the brits, reserved and the yanks loud and annoying.

Anyway lads and lassies having grown up in a small town in the west of ireland(called ashascragh! NOT!) moved and lived in dublin with only returning home once every 2 months or whatever, spending 5 years in Dub-land and a year in boston home for a while and then in England the last 5 years, I can safely say I have experienced other cultures, and the only place I have really enjoyed is the states, ye miss lots of things from home but they have irish counters over there etc and what not. I do think that I might miss London though if I did leave it, but not the same way as I miss other places.

Moral of the story is, far away hills are not necessarily greener. But I would always recommend people to travel. I think its great when I go home-home and see lads that would generally never have left the shores -of the county- to spend a year travelling abroad or in Oz.

Also London is a pot full to the brim of other cultures, and I can safely say I still haven't meant one as genuine and fun and easy going as the Irish and I mean that. Same in America, the Irish are unbeleiveably unique.
    Last edited by sligoman; 03/09/2008 at 11:51 AM. Reason: merge
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    I'm liking London at the moment, I've a circle of friends from other countries, something that may not have happened in Ireland where people just come and go. London as a city can be frustrating, packed tubes in the morning, the work to live culture, extortoniate prices for beer, but there's always alternatives for cheap drinking here. (Sam Smith's pubs for instance, £1.75 for a bitter!) But there is a refreshing outlook from the Irish here, it's kind of like stop complaining and get down the pub and have the craic. Think English people like the attitude too. And I've found it far easier to meet people here too.
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    I moved to Ireland about 4 or 5 months ago after living in England all my life and the only things i dislike about the place is not being able to get a decent pint and the obsession over British pop culture, football etc

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    I have lived in a good few places...............Holland (great), Scotland (nice), London (fine for a year), China (strange!) and Korea (ok)

I am itching to go on my travels again, really itching. But unfortunately I cant what with job and family commitments...damn it

Its not that I dont like living here, just i love experiencing other cultures. I would love to go to japan and/or Australia

I always missed Ireland when i was abroad. I missed the craic with your mates, and the craziness of it all. The dodgy pubs and the fry ups the next morning. Sure London had that too, but I found the English hard to stick after a while.

We do complain a lot too, and our humour definitely takes a while to get used to, and often got me in major trouble abroad, but you cant beat it

Oh I lived in Wales too!!!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    Are you happy in Ireland?
    Yes. Enjoy travelling (never lived abroad), but always find something (usually several things) in foreign places to make me realise Ireland's better. Can't ever see myself moving abroad. Foreign places are just strange, with no cider, no pub culture, eating at 9pm, looking left instead of right first when crossing the road...

Ireland does have a damn large "Grass is always greener over there" faction though, which I think is why so many people moan about things here (prices, politicians, the weather, the eL, etc). I'm happy to dismiss them all as ignorant fools though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Also London is a pot full to the brim of other cultures, and I can safely say I still haven't meant one as genuine and fun and easy going as the Irish and I mean that. Same in America, the Irish are unbeleiveably unique.
    Yes we are! After 22 years living here, I love going 'home' to get my 'fix'(Food etc...). Would I live in Ireland again? Can't say never, but at this point in time, no. Apart from the economic reasons for leaving in the first place, the weather was also a major part of my initial decision. It's amazing how good weather improves your outlook on life in general. Personally, I think it is the underlying reason that people living at home moan as much as they do.

Having said that, you just can't beat the craic and banter that goes along with living in Ireland.
    Did you ever notice that in every painting of Adam & Eve, they have belly buttons. Think about that...take as long as you want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Well after years of living in Scandinavia, I'm not going to complain about the weather. But anytime I do go back to Ireland I just feel at "home" and that's probably what I miss the most. That and the Sunday papers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    I miss the pubs. I know not short of them here, but they're not very authentic, anyone can open an 'Oirish bar' here. Also not liking the pub chains and the high streets all looking the same, and the chav culture. Mind you, Ireland is getting like that these days too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast