Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Moldova V Republic of Ireland - Sunday, 9th October 2016 - World Cup 2018 Qualifiers

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    I never buy into the cliché that “it’s a sign of a good team that can win by playing badly” but I think the 6 points from last week show that we are a dogged outfit that have a good knack of scoring when we need to. The goal before half time was a sucker punch but having the game put to bed with 15 mins to go in such circumstances is very telling and very professional.

The criticisms I had of MON after the two Scotland games still apply but I’d rather have the points on the board and a shopping list of what I think we can improve than to already be playing catch up.

2. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    As Owls said in another thread, there are more ingredients to a good team than just having good technical players like what Georgia have in abundance and O'Neill blends in well there.
    One issue though is vacillation, like deciding on the back 4 and sticking with it, regardless.

We were playing a low seeded team in Moldova, one that had proved hard to beat at home in previous campaigns, however in this campaign any consistancy and balance in their team has been riven apart with player/managerial sabotage.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    O'Neill said "we had a dunderhead moment" which is the correct attitude.
    Unless it is a blatantly obvious singular mistake, it's the team that takes a collective responsibility. Duffy's error was just the last one and not even the most serious, the desperate wayward cross field deflection started it, the impotent challenge to win that wayward ball and then the central defense caught on the hop.

And everything went perfect for the Moldvans.
    I doubt he would and dont ever remember him coming out and blaming one individuals mistake. Had Duffy not made the error there was no goal.

Duffys interview yesterday also backs that up, saying he gave him a slap across the head.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

5. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    There is no doubt that Duffy made an error but if that were the case with O'Neill, focussed on blaming the last error, then that weakens the concept of team ethic and no wonder we struggle for consistency and are easily cowed. Team ethic is a higher concept than running around dishing out blame to individual players for goal concessions.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    If you are on about the public show of solidarity and then not individually blaming someone behind the scenes I think I get what you are saying, but even looking at Kenny last night dropping rogers. At some stage for the betterment of team ethic, belief and self-confidence you have to remove the weak-link from the chain.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    If you are on about the public show of solidarity and then not individually blaming someone behind the scenes I think I get what you are saying, but even looking at Kenny last night dropping rogers. At some stage for the betterment of team ethic, belief and self-confidence you have to remove the weak-link from the chain.
    But that was after a string of howlers from Rogers and also Sava having a good game recently. There were justifiable reasons to drop him.

I accept your premise, but we're not at the dropping Duffy stage. Yet. I keep thinking of a young Dunne when Duffy makes mistakes...
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    I think Clark & Duffy were picked for their set piece value against two sides lacking top drawer forwards. I think Austria away will be different and I expect at least one of O’shea and Keogh to return.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I am not saying that Duffy should be dropped, I'll hold off on that one. I do think though that Duffy is very strong in the air, very solid tackler, and a general tough defender. It's all good in the championship and at that level, but not on the international stage or premiership where he will be properly tested. One thing Dunne had was a quick turn of pace on a yard or two, from what I have seen Duffy doesnt have that and like Dunne he hasn't great pace overall or a great stride. I think Duffy might be ok alongside an experience and organiser type defender. But I don't think he is our answer in this campaign unfortunately. Maybe if he had a year playing against top strikers/forwards he might learn from it, but as he is playing in the championship and without any proper permiership(playing at the required level for internail experience like Clark and O'Shea
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    But id be happy enough him playing in those type of games where we can afford the odd mistake.

I agree with stutts i think we will be back to O'Shea and a.n other for Austria.

There is a bit of negativity from the players in how they've responded to the media stuff regarding how capable we are which is annoying me a little. Temperament, manage expectations for sure but downplay your own ability.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I think Clark & Duffy were picked for their set piece value against two sides lacking top drawer forwards. I think Austria away will be different and I expect at least one of O’shea and Keogh to return.
    You expect (ie O'Neill to make the changes) but do you agree with them? I'd be happy enough for MON to stick with the same back 4. If O'Shea was playing all the time, I'd say play him but we need people playing regular football.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    I'd pick O'Shea and Keogh in Austria. More experienced.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    There were some really dodgy defensive moments from O'Shea in Belgrade.however,when he came on against France I remember wishing he had started (or been brought on earlier).i think Duffy is the future though and that he's a player with real,albeit worryingly raw ability.hes nearly there,just needs to add some cuteness and maybe just step back from a game now and again rather than attacking every ball.we should stick with him,if O'Shea comes in,I think it should be for Clarke

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I'd pick O'Shea and Keogh in Austria. More experienced.
    Keogh isn't more experienced than Clark though, not at any level that counts anyway. Do you just think he's better/more reliable?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    By experienced you mean older

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Leaving aside the fact that Whelan was caught shirking for their goal, I think the example he sets and what he chooses to do with the ball contributes to our malaise.

Anyone can pass the ball backwards and sideways - Neil Lennon made a solid career out of it - but it pins us back and doesn't allow us to establish a rhythm.

It put us under pressure a few times when he chose the "easy" option and put the onus on another player.

I think McCarthy's use of the ball was more constructive and his impact in the final third was more tangible.

At the end of the day it's Moldova, an awful team, there is no need to be so cagey with your use of the ball.

They only looked remotely threatening when we allowed them to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    At the end of the day it's Moldova, an awful team,

They only looked remotely threatening when we allowed them to.
    which was about once.. maybe twice

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Leaving aside the fact that Whelan was caught shirking for their goal, I think the example he sets and what he chooses to do with the ball contributes to our malaise.

Anyone can pass the ball backwards and sideways - Neil Lennon made a solid career out of it - but it pins us back and doesn't allow us to establish a rhythm.

It put us under pressure a few times when he chose the "easy" option and put the onus on another player.

I think McCarthy's use of the ball was more constructive and his impact in the final third was more tangible.
    How was Whelan caught shirking for their goal? He has their player covered and but couldn't stop the hoof up the pitch (a tactic much despised by you because of its apparent futility). He did think for a second about diving in a la McLean but could have sold himself and left the team open to a counter-attack so he just jockeyed the opposition player. You don't mention how Hoolahan let his man turn in the corner to clear in the same incident or the poor header by Brady. No doubt if either had been Whelan, he would have been accused of "shirking".

Whelan.jpg

There must be more to Whelan's game that passing backwards or sideways of anyone can do it otherwise anyone could have almost 80 caps and more than 250 EPL appearances. As Stephen Hunt said in his article:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-35133750.html

"Whelan, however, is positionally very good. A lot of central midfielders automatically want to get involved, but he stays and does his job. That job is to pick up the pieces, claim second balls, and be there for the counter - as he always is. That's why he plays every week for Stoke. The manager appreciates his discipline and what he does for the team. He's always pointing and organising. I think we need him in away games; he's a vital part of the team, make no mistake".
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Was it Brady or Ward who had the deflected header in build up to their goal? anyway, regardless of whether that was an error or just a deflection or a bit of both, the ball then landed in a danger zone which caught Whelan out, I think Whelan could have anticipated and reacted to that situation better than he did.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Brady wasn't playing.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Sorry, whoever it was. Obviously not Brady since as you say he wasn't playing. The point was TOWK was living up to his name and if it had been Whelan, he would have blamed him.

25. Thanks From:

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast