Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Michael Collins International Clearence Refused

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    It's a reasonable question!

From the ITC procedures that you helpfully posted previously, it seems to me that any failure/tardiness by Newry City FC to respond to a request from IFA would leave an appeal to FIFA open to the player and/or the signing club - but there is no suggestion to date of this from Dundalk in the Collins case.

There are too many unanswered questions here, and while Dundalk FC have already made a statement that they and the FAI have followed all procedures correctly, further clarification from the club would be helpful, particularly in relation to any information available on the IFA grounds of refusal.

I have directed these questions at the relevent people (in Dundalk FC) and hope to hear more soon
    I would suggest you read the ITC procedure again and in particular the order in which things happen. As I read it it should be like this.

1. New club submits registration to its association.
    2. New association makes ITC request from old association before window closes.
    3. Old association contacts former club.
    4. Old club respond to their association.
    5. Old association issue/refuse ITC.

I still believe that point 2 is the key. If it was not done before the window closed, the rest is meaningless.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Before the League Of Ireland window closed on 23rd February. Based on previous knowledge of international transfers the FAI are pretty prompt with their requests to the other associations. I'd be surprised if the delay was at their end.
    Last edited by Longfordian; 13/04/2009 at 2:23 PM.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Parker View Post
    I would suggest you read the ITC procedure again and in particular the order in which things happen. As I read it it should be like this.

1. New club submits registration to its association.
    2. New association makes ITC request from old association before window closes.
    3. Old association contacts former club.
    4. Old club respond to their association.
    5. Old association issue/refuse ITC.

I still believe that point 2 is the key. If it was not done before the window closed, the rest is meaningless.
    This is the order of event that I also understood from reading ITC procedure.

Dundalk FC have maintained that they and FAI have met their obligations (points 1 & 2). Why do you think that point 2 is the key?

If this was the case, why would IFA refer the matter for FIFA at all?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    Before the League Of Ireland window closed on 23rd February. Based on previous knowledge of international transfers the FAI are pretty prompt with their requests to the other associations. I'd be surprised if the delay was at their end.
    Ask Finn Harps about Sweeney.

This is the order of event that I also understood from reading ITC procedure.

Dundalk FC have maintained that they and FAI have met their obligations (points 1 & 2). Why do you think that point 2 is the key?

If this was the case, why would IFA refer the matter for FIFA at all?
    I believe point 2 is key given what I know about the Finn Harps/Sweeney issue and why they failed to get an ITC for him. As for asking FIFA, I believe they were asking was there anything that could be done to help get around the regs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts

Collins likely availablity for Bohemian V Dundalk game

The word from Oriel Park is that they expect Michael Collins may be cleared to play next weekend, as a consequence of an appeal to FIFA regarding his International Transfer Certificate fiasco.

"Speaking to The Dundalk Democrat on Tuesday, manager Sean Connor revealed that the club had appealed to FIFA to finally resolve the issue surrounding his international clearance.

Newry City are believed to have recognised an error on their behalf and a decision from the game's governing body is believed to be imminent with all the signs pointing to the influential midfielder finally being given the green light to make his competitive début for Dundalk."
    http://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/3418/C...for.5191544.jp

If this proves to be correct it would shine the spotlight firmly back on the IFA regarding their obstinacy and inflexibility in not initially issuing his release certificate.

It seems ludicrous that, through no fault of their own, Dundalk have been without him for at least 25% of the league, and presumably will not immediately reap the full benefits of his undoubted talents as he strives to acquire match fitness

Last edited by Ezeikial; 26/04/2009 at 6:04 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    His undoubted talents to start a fight in an empty room more like...
    Kom Igen, FCK...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Réiteoir View Post
    Should help bring a few heads through the gates. If nothing else it will ensure a few heads put through doors at Oriel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    The LOI just got more entertaining.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Réiteoir View Post
    Typical referee, giving the chap a hard time for past mistakes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    226 Posts
    http://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/3418/C...for.5191544.jp

If this proves to be correct it would shine the spotlight firmly back on the IFA regarding their obstinacy and inflexibility in not initially issuing his release certificate.
    I don't know the ins-and-outs of this case (or the Rules and Procedures generally).

However, I cannot see how you can reconcile your statement (emboldened) with the following two excerpts from the same article which you posted:
    "Newry City are believed to have recognised an error on their behalf"
    and
    "We've got into a situation where the IFA want FIFA to give special dispensation

Looks very much to me like Newry were late with the paperwork, and the IFA did not want to process it after their deadline, since that could have all sorts of repercussions* down the line. Therefore the IFA asked FIFA to help them out in disregarding their own (IFA) rules.

Remember that the IFA (and its various regional Associations) deals with dozens, if not hundreds, of such cross-border applications every season. For example, someone studying in England who wants to play for his local NI side during holidays etc needs clearance if he has already played for an English club during term time. Or someone from one of the border counties who switches to a club on the other side, even at the most junior of levels. Or the other, more high-profile transfers which occur between LOI and IPL etc.

* - E.G. Portadown's submission of their IPL application half an hour late.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    I don't know the ins-and-outs of this case (or the Rules and Procedures generally).

However, I cannot see how you can reconcile your statement (emboldened) with the following two excerpts from the same article which you posted:
    "Newry City are believed to have recognised an error on their behalf"
    and
    "We've got into a situation where the IFA want FIFA to give special dispensation

Looks very much to me like Newry were late with the paperwork, and the IFA did not want to process it after their deadline, since that could have all sorts of repercussions* down the line. Therefore the IFA asked FIFA to help them out in disregarding their own (IFA) rules.

Remember that the IFA (and its various regional Associations) deals with dozens, if not hundreds, of such cross-border applications every season. For example, someone studying in England who wants to play for his local NI side during holidays etc needs clearance if he has already played for an English club during term time. Or someone from one of the border counties who switches to a club on the other side, even at the most junior of levels. Or the other, more high-profile transfers which occur between LOI and IPL etc.

* - E.G. Portadown's submission of their IPL application half an hour late.
    I can understand your confusion with the apparent contradictions!

Obviously the article excerpts you mention are quotes from Sean Connor who points the finger at both Newry City and IFA -
    "The fact that the paperwork trail wasn't followed up in time by the IFA and Newry City has left both us and the player in limbo"

The FIFA guidelines (see above in Mr Parker post) outlines the regulations and procedures :

1. It is the IFA responsibility to contact Newry City and respond to FAI with 7 days of receipt of ITC request from the FAI.

2. The FIFA regulations provide for only one scenario for refusal of ITC (obviously assuming request is in compliant with regulations) - specifically contractual issues between the former club and player (contract not expired or mutually terminated).

3. The regulations do not afford the IFA the option of denying the ITC where Newry City have not been contacted or where they have not responded in a timely fashion.

While the original reason for refusal of ITC has not been clarified, it certainly appears that IFA could and should have issued the transfer certifcate 9 league games ago!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts

Collins awaiting ITC (again)

Seems like Michael Collins may not make his long awaited debut for Dundalk against Derry on Friday night.

It seems that the new ITC could only be applied for as of July 1, and may take up to 7 days..... (or however long the IFA decide?)

Why do I get a feeling of déjà vu here?

http://dundalkfc.com/news/090702_Williams.asp

2 JULY 2009: WILLIAMS AND COLLINS SIGNED BUT AWAITING INTERNATIONAL CLEARANCE.
    International Transfer Certificate Process
    Dundalk FC have applied for an International Transfer Certificate for both Williams and Collins. According to club secretary Kevin Holland: "The earliest this application can be made is the 1st July when the transfer window opens. It is not the case that we could have made this application weeks, or in Mickey's case, months ago. We are now awaiting an ITC from the IFA for Mickey and SFA for Alex. We certainly hope that these ITCs are received in time for them to take part in the Derry City match but we have been informed that the process can take up to seven days."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I am pleased that everyone will get to see Mickey's undoubted talents on the pitch soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brianw82 View Post
    I am pleased that everyone will get to see Mickey's undoubted talents on the pitch soon.
    Ha. Soon me ballix. This will probably be dragged out for as long as it can be.
    Cumann Peile Dún Dealgan - Champions 2015 (too many accolades to be typing)

Termonbarry Athletic TID!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts

Mental Micky cleared for action!

Michael Collins finally gets international clearance and is expected to start against Derry tonight.

Let the fun begin!

http://dundalkfc.com/home.asp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The LoI has just got a little more interesting/entertaining. Anyone willing to put money on him getting sent off tonight
    Coleman for Ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligofan4ever View Post
    The LoI has just got a little more interesting/entertaining. Anyone willing to put money on him getting sent off tonight
    Im putting a fiver on him to last 60 mins!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Mickey put in a great shift on Friday night and looked well in the centre of the park. A few very important blocks and was talking the boys others through the game who may of been drifting off. Can see why Connor wanted him so much from the start.
    MOTM in my opinion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxy lilywhite View Post
    Mickey put in a great shift on Friday night and looked well in the centre of the park. A few very important blocks and was talking the boys others through the game who may of been drifting off. Can see why Connor wanted him so much from the start.
    MOTM in my opinion
    See him when the whistle went, he ran over in front of the shed with his arms aloft screaming and shouting! Thats a player thats going to be a fans favourite!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    He's already taken the LoI Badge Kisser of the Year title from the previous owner (Dave Rogers). Seriously, on your debut?!

He bossed midfield on Friday and looked very fit, but he was certainly helped by Derry's midfield pairing of Casper the Friendly Ghost (Martyn) and the human fussball (Higgins, good boot on him but can only move a few feet left or right).

If he keeps the head and plays regularly (never managed it before) Dundalk could easily finish top half.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast