Page 192 of 406 FirstFirst ... 92142182190191192193194202242292 ... LastLast
Results 3,821 to 3,840 of 8116

Thread: Stadium Updates (All Clubs)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    It might make it easier for people who drive to games, but that would need adequate parking facilities. I suppose aiming for a different demographic might be no bad thing, it's not as though the current policy is massively successful in terms of crowds!

If any new ground has adequate transport links, I'd be happy. If the Luas extension ever gets built, for example, and there's plenty of parking space and bus stops around the new ground, it would be great. If they just plonk a few stands in a greenfield site in the middle of nowhere, it will be a disaster, and I don't trust the people in charge not to do something like that.

Like it or not, we're a club who are massively reliant on away crowds. We need to make Bray an attractive away day. If the ground is easy to get to, a nice place to be, and has good bars and places to get food nearby, people will follow their team there.
    In fairness where is being talked about (same twitter rumour) is literally a 15 min walk from the dart but I would be very very concerned about the ability to do anything right when it comes to this.
    I would be surprised if the council have this sort of cash considering nothing is happening with the florentine (still) but nothing would surprise me at this stage.

There were such hopes for the club with all the talk of the takeover but they just seem to be going from one disaster to another and it is about time they just get their house in order as until they do they won't start to pull in the local support.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tippex View Post
    In fairness where is being talked about (same twitter rumour) is literally a 15 min walk from the dart but I would be very very concerned about the ability to do anything right when it comes to this.
    I would be surprised if the council have this sort of cash considering nothing is happening with the florentine (still) but nothing would surprise me at this stage.

There were such hopes for the club with all the talk of the takeover but they just seem to be going from one disaster to another and it is about time they just get their house in order as until they do they won't start to pull in the local support.
    What's the location being talked about? I can't seem to find the twitter rumours

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Bray would be crazy to move from the Carlisle ground... they have an extraordinary asset in their proximity to the Town / Station /DART etc.
    A move to some far flung field with one just one stand (which is the likely scenario whether we like it or not) is not the way to go...

A modest, thrifty redevelopment of the current ground to improve the spectator experience would be the way to go I'd say, and if the economy picks up and the club get their act together and sort out the off the field issues then maybe consider cashing it in some time in the future...
    Now is not the time, the Economy is on the up, a decent piece of ground like that with such proximity to DART is property development gold dust... that land could be worth the price of a complete new ground in 10 years time... [not wishing to sound all celtic-tigery, but that's the reality]
    innit though??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    There would be from Dublin clubs. No question at all about that
    And Dundalk too. Dundalk fans always travel in numbers to Bray due to transport links.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    I know for European games that only permanent structures are permitted, however does anyone know if clubs can make a request to UEFA for a temporary stand? The reason I ask is, I'm almost sure Cliftonville did this when they played Celtic 2 years ago, and made the case that it would be a low risk game, and I think a temp stand was erected.

Dundalk are limited to 3k seats, and they will have to install more seats in permitted areas, as a lot were removed from the middle of the shed side for example to allow fans to stand. With the avg league crowd at 3,300, there is going to be a lot of fans disappointed for the CL game.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    I know for European games that only permanent structures are permitted, however does anyone know if clubs can make a request to UEFA for a temporary stand? The reason I ask is, I'm almost sure Cliftonville did this when they played Celtic 2 years ago, and made the case that it would be a low risk game, and I think a temp stand was erected.

Temporary stands can be put up on a permanent structure. We had a temporary stand erected on the permanent concrete terrace that used to be on the Railway End when we played Vorslka Poltava back in 2011. The CL might be different tho!
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    There are precedents of waiving infrastructure rules for sure. One of the Welsh sides had nowhere near the amount of seats for example that were a minimum requirement and people were 'standing' in areas of the ground. A temporary seated area could go behind the Carrick goal. It is a pity the town end hasnt at this stage been concreted to facilitate seating there too depending on the draw if not considering a move away from Oriel for the likes of Celtic if thats who we get. A proper bay of concrete where the mud can form that end cant really cost that much can it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    Even if we got Celtic (probably the one draw to consider moving it) I'd prefer if the club held the match in oriel park. If they could erect the same structure that was in place v Cork and Rovers last year, that would take the seating up to almost 5k. Do the job nicely.

Moving to the Aviva for example would cost thousands, not to mention giving up home advantage, then you have the worry of filling it, besides it's not going to increase the guaranteed prize money already in the bag.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts

Moving to the Aviva for example would cost thousands, not to mention giving up home advantage, then you have the worry of filling it, besides it's not going to increase the guaranteed prize money already in the bag.
    It would fill alright, it would be full of Irish Celtic fans.

Home games must be played in Oriel Park. These are not fund raising pre-season friendlies, they are competitive games.

11. Thanks From:

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Even if we got Celtic (probably the one draw to considoving it) I'd prefer if the club held the match in oriel park. If they could erect the same structure that was in place v Cork and Rovers last year, that would take the seating up to almost 5k. Do the job nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    It would fill alright, it would be full of Irish Celtic fans.

Home games must be played in Oriel Park. These are not fund raising pre-season friendlies, they are competitive games.
    If maximising gate receipts were the main criteria, a case could also be made for moving a Lech Poznan fixture.

I don't believe that the Dundalk board would seriously consider that, and Stephen Kenny would quickly and unequivocally give his view if necessary.

Winning (or at least giving yourself the best possible chance) is the central consideration and having the majority of the attendance supporting the opposition is not the way to go

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Playing as many games as they possibly can in Oriel has to be priority for Dundalk. The last thing they need is to be drawing Celtic and having 30,000 Celtic fans and 4,000 Dundalk fans in Lansdowne. It would be a farce.

Drawing Celtic in Oriel wouldn't be much better unless the board put something strict in place that Dundalk fans were looked after well in advance of any Celtic fans.

As for extra seating, plenty of times it's been done before with temporary seating. Sure didn't Shamrock Rovers have temporary seats down for their Europa League groups?

Dundalk could put down seats on both ends of the ground and bump up the capacity to 6,000 or 7,000.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts

Dundalk are limited to 3k seats, and they will have to install more seats in permitted areas, as a lot were removed from the middle of the shed side for example to allow fans to stand. With the avg league crowd at 3,300, there is going to be a lot of fans disappointed for the CL game.
    Surely whether it's Celtic or a team from Finland, you'll have demand way over capacity? I'd say there'll be an application for temporary seating and it'll be passed regardless of the opposition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    They may have demand over capacity but that doesn't mean they'll sell enough 'new' tickets to make it worthwhile to go to the expense of renting a stand

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    They may have demand over capacity but that doesn't mean they'll sell enough 'new' tickets to make it worthwhile to go to the expense of renting a stand
    The temporary stand that was put up for the Cork game at the end of last season just about broke even.

I'd say the club would go ahead with one if the demand was there.

It's good marketing and the players get a buzz from a stadium with all sides full.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Breaking even on any potential temporary seating would just about suit if it means a tighter crowd and a more hostile atmosphere. They'll make plenty of money from it anyway as any Champions League tie will sell out in Dundalk.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    If I were making the decisions at Dundalk and Celtic came out of the hat I'd move it to the Aviva if the figures stacked up. Cash in, spend the money on Oriel and help the long term stability of the club.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    If I were making the decisions at Dundalk and Celtic came out of the hat I'd move it to the Aviva if the figures stacked up. Cash in, spend the money on Oriel and help the long term stability of the club.
    I can't really see that much being made playing in the Aviva. Must cost a fortune to host the game there. Plus we're giving up home advantage. I'd much rather play in Oriel, charge €30 a ticket and see local businesses (some of whom sponsor us) get a bit of trade. However if the FAI got us a very good deal on the Aviva then it might be worth investigating.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    I reckon it would be in the FAI interest to give ye a good deal. They are going to make the money off the bar and food sales. I know I'd travel up to support Dundalk if it got moved there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    I reckon it would be in the FAI interest to give ye a good deal. They are going to make the money off the bar and food sales. I know I'd travel up to support Dundalk if it got moved there.
    Ditto that. I'm looking to get to a European tie this year, so Dundalk playing in Lansdowne would be a good chance for me to get to one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    It might be conceding home advantage but the Dundalk players may relish the opportunity to play at the Aviva. A sort of small time dress rehearsal for the big day out at the Aviva late October!