Thread: FAI Cup 2018

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    How'd that happen?

Seen the drama about the 300 allocation. Think it's a bit over the top, 300 seems reasonable enough to me, that'd be what ye usually bring. But, if half have gone to non regulars I can understand the frustration.

To be honest, I'd be surprised if it sells out. The league is done as far as most city fans are concerned, I can't imagine there being the buzz about it that there should have been, had we done the job against Sligo.
    I don't agree that this match is a 'usual' encounter at all. While Cork fans seem to have thrown in the towel to a significant extent (although a convincing win over Bohs would raise hope), a win for Dundalk would all but seal the title. Naturally there are loads more fans interesting in travelling as a consequence, compared to the April match in Turner's Cross for example.

It's pretty normal when demand outstrips supply that those missing out on tickets are annoyed - legitimate questions over the fairness of ticket distribution by Dundalk FC to fans inevitably follows if it is less than transparent.

The obvious solutions from the outset was to allocate more than 300 tickets, and this still remains a sensible solution - although the purchase of home tickets on the internet by visiting fans that has already happened, is an inevitable security consequence of this not being sorted sensibly between the clubs in the first instance

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    328 Posts
    Think someone said above that we had 5000 in the RDS in 2008. Maybe add a couple of thousand to that for the Landsdowne factor and that it would be 10 years since our previous final.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    I don't agree that this match is a 'usual' encounter at all. While Cork fans seem to have thrown in the towel to a significant extent (although a convincing win over Bohs would raise hope), a win for Dundalk would all but seal the title. Naturally there are loads more fans interesting in travelling as a consequence, compared to the April match in Turner's Cross for example.

It's pretty normal when demand outstrips supply that those missing out on tickets are annoyed - legitimate questions over the fairness of ticket distribution by Dundalk FC to fans inevitably follows if it is less than transparent.

The obvious solutions from the outset was to allocate more than 300 tickets, and this still remains a sensible solution - although the purchase of home tickets on the internet by visiting fans that has already happened, is an inevitable security consequence of this not being sorted sensibly between the clubs in the first instance
    Of course its not usual, but that doesn't entitle away fans to additional tickets in any way.

If the club feels they can sell the remaining tickets to our own fans, they are 100% right to hold them for that. If it looks like we won't sell out the game to our own fans, I'm sure at that point more tickets can be offered to Dundalk. As you said, Fridays result will have an impact.

There would be nothing sensible about our club giving you more tickets, if it is possible to sell them to our own fans. Dundalk fans in places are ranting about the unfairness of not allocating you more tickets. While I understand being annoyed you can't get a ticket, expecting the opposition to give you an advantage and labelling it disgraceful when they don't, is just silly.
    Last edited by micls; 13/09/2018 at 8:01 PM.

5. Thanks From:

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    Of course its not usual, but that doesn't entitle away fans to additional tickets in any way.

If the club feels they can sell the remaining tickets to our own fans, they are 100% right to hold them for that. If it looks like we won't sell out the game to our own fans, I'm sure at that point more tickets can be offered to Dundalk. As you said, Fridays result will have an impact.

There would be nothing sensible about our club giving you more tickets, if it is possible to sell them to our own fans. Dundalk fans in places are ranting about the unfairness of not allocating you more tickets. While I understand being annoyed you can't get a ticket, expecting the opposition to give you an advantage and labelling it disgraceful when they don't, is just silly.
    I don't put forward any such notion that there is an entitlement to additional tickets.

It is barely credible that the club could believe they will sell out Turner's Cross for this match, no matter what the result against Bohs. Even committed Cork fans have conceded defeat in the title race and the casuals have absolutely abandoned hope, and will only possibly reappear in the event of reaching the cup final

The ticket distribution has been badly handled by both clubs and the net effect is that many visiting fans have bought tickets for the home end, with the obvious increased security risks. I hope extra tickets are made available, but there is already a problem that won't be easily sorted

If Cork decide not to allocate additional tickets, it would not be the first time that a club chooses to leave large numbers of unsold seats empty rather than accept willing paying customers. There is a strange irony in this.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    Think someone said above that we had 5000 in the RDS in 2008. Maybe add a couple of thousand to that for the Landsdowne factor and that it would be 10 years since our previous final.
    I'd say a lot more neutrals would go if there's a Dublin team in it too. Obviously probably more Rovers/Shels fans cheering for the opposition, but I'd say a lot more people who'd just cheer for the Dublin team too.

edit: obviously there could be two Dublin teams in the final but assuming Dundalk make it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    I don't put forward any such notion that there is an entitlement to additional tickets.

It is barely credible that the club could believe they will sell out Turner's Cross for this match, no matter what the result against Bohs. Even committed Cork fans have conceded defeat in the title race and the casuals have absolutely abandoned hope, and will only possibly reappear in the event of reaching the cup final

The ticket distribution has been badly handled by both clubs and the net effect is that many visiting fans have bought tickets for the home end, with the obvious increased security risks. I hope extra tickets are made available, but there is already a problem that won't be easily sorted

If Cork decide not to allocate additional tickets, it would not be the first time that a club chooses to leave large numbers of unsold seats empty rather than accept willing paying customers. There is a strange irony in this.
    If we win convincingly tonight and there's decent marketing done, there's a chance of a sellout. I would consider it unlikely, but I think it's completely reasonable of the club to to hold the tickets and see.

I don't agree at all that the club has handled ticket distribution poorly. They'll wait and see what happens tongiht.

If we don't win tonight, I'm sure the club will allocate you further tickets. If we win and there seems to be some buzz about it, they will wait and see. If it comes to early next week and ticket sales are slow, they'll send up more tickets. If ticket sales looks positive, they won't. That's all completely sensible from our perspective, even though it doesn't suit you guys.

How your club has chosen to distribute the tickets is a separate issue and does sound like it's been poorly handled.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    328 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I'd say a lot more neutrals would go if there's a Dublin team in it too. Obviously probably more Rovers/Shels fans cheering for the opposition, but I'd say a lot more people who'd just cheer for the Dublin team too.

edit: obviously there could be two Dublin teams in the final but assuming Dundalk make it
    Agreed on the neutral boost if a Dublin Team in the final. I’ve gone when Pats and Shels in the final. My numbers are what I’d think Bohs might likely bring. We’ve a good core and then adding floating/lapsed supporters who would go to a final could see 5-7000 thousand.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    AH Bohs will surely get 10 k for a final, there is a good vibe about the club in the community malarky right i am gonna say it if its a Bohs Dundalk final come on the Bohs i mean Dundalk ah heck no Bohs if the underdogs were anyone but Bohs.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Yeah was thinking there's no way we'd only bring 5k. We'd sell that for Rovers if we had the capacity.

There's a better vibe around the place than 08, I'd say we're getting more through the gates than 08 and there is the Lansdowne factor which would add a few more neutrals or casual fans. 10k for me. Now where are they every second friday is the question?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    2002 in Tolka the ticket allocations were adjusted as initially it was thought Bohs would have the greater demand but starved of success Dundalk support turned out and ended up 3 sides of the ground. At that time the capacity was near 14k afaik and Dundalk had 9000 odd there though it seemed a lot more. Dundalk v Derry or Bohs could hit near the 30k mark in the Aviva imo maybe higher if Derry travel anything like the numbers they have in the past. Cork v UCD would be a push to break 15k. Dundalk and Cork again anything near 20k would be good with the novelty well worn off on that fixture.

If cup final days add new fans of a couple of % of the total that travel supporting a team and become regulars at league games thats about it id say. Unless the cup final is part of a general upward trend in a clubs fortunes.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    2002 in Tolka the ticket allocations were adjusted as initially it was thought Bohs would have the greater demand but starved of success Dundalk support turned out and ended up 3 sides of the ground. At that time the capacity was near 14k afaik and Dundalk had 9000 odd there though it seemed a lot more. Dundalk v Derry or Bohs could hit near the 30k mark in the Aviva imo maybe higher if Derry travel anything like the numbers they have in the past. Cork v UCD would be a push to break 15k. Dundalk and Cork again anything near 20k would be good with the novelty well worn off on that fixture.

If cup final days add new fans of a couple of % of the total that travel supporting a team and become regulars at league games thats about it id say. Unless the cup final is part of a general upward trend in a clubs fortunes.
    I think the Tolka, when it wasn't mostly falling down, had a capacity of close to 10,000.
    Last edited by Pablo Escobar; 18/09/2018 at 9:25 AM.
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    Not even thinking of the final yet, but difficult to put a number on our likely crowd. approx. 2,500 regulars (who would presumably be near certain) about another 3,000 lapsed fans (maybe a little more). assorted friends, mates, casual (no, not that kind ) bohs supporters and/or day trippers (maybe 1500) would be about it. a lot (especially neutral or non regular) turn out would depend on weather etc. A Dublin team probably would increase ' neutral interest' but another Cork / Dundalk final would be a 'turn off' for many neutrals (said with the height of respect for the two best teams in the League).

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    To think there were 50,000 at the women's All Ireland Finals on Sunday, surely the push should be on even now to push for a record attendance...by the FAI of course !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brusher View Post
    To think there were 50,000 at the women's All Ireland Finals on Sunday, surely the push should be on even now to push for a record attendance...by the FAI of course !
    crowd will be greatly influenced by weather on the day. Women's bogball is an interesting case study, gone from 3/4000 for a final to last Sundays record crowd. Number of factors - Dublin involvement and a very, very heavy promotion campaign. certainly something our League should look at (although not holding my breath on FAI doing anything) even if it is for a one off game.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    To be fair, it's only a tenner to see the Cup Final. That should be incentive enough, especially for anyone Dublin-based. Maybe the FAI should push this angle more?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Donie Forde View Post
    To be fair, it's only a tenner to see the Cup Final. That should be incentive enough, especially for anyone Dublin-based. Maybe the FAI should push this angle more?
    Lot of free tickets floating about as well (all season ticket holders get access to Premium level). It should definitely be able to 'sell' to a bigger crowd but repetition of Cork V Dundalk a bit of a turn off for neutrals. a different team (or two) would jazz the final up a bit.
    Irrespective of whom the finalists are there certainly is potential to promote it better, and the saturation coverage prior to the womens GAA final is a pretty good benchmark.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Donie Forde View Post
    Maybe ?! There's no maybe in it at all. The GAA have shown the FAI up by getting a huge crowd along to a woman's gaelic match.

The FAI can't even do a fraction of that for the country's senior men's football/'soccer' final. They're a complete bunch of clampets with no interest in anything beyond the senior international men's team.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    I remember writing a piece for back page football the year Dundalk and Cork played in the cup final off the back of Dundalk’s amazing European run and how it was the ideal opportunity for the FAI to market the cup final and break attendances records but was wasted through a total lack of marketing or advertising. Got an email from someone within the FAI who took issue with it and asked what the point was. That says all you need to know about them. They’ve zero interest in promoting the league or the cup final. Giving away a few coupons in the daily mail is their idea of marketing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    I remember writing a piece for back page football the year Dundalk and Cork played in the cup final off the back of Dundalk’s amazing European run and how it was the ideal opportunity for the FAI to market the cup final and break attendances records but was wasted through a total lack of marketing or advertising. Got an email from someone within the FAI who took issue with it and asked what the point was. That says all you need to know about them. They’ve zero interest in promoting the league or the cup final. Giving away a few coupons in the daily mail is their idea of marketing.
    That's brilliant! I do remember the 2016 cup final in particular as a lost opportunity. Interest/goodwill in the league was at its highest for decades with Dundalk's Europa run but there was little or no promotion of a top-two cup final.

In fairness to the FAI the price point and cross-sell to international ticket holders works well and has kept the attendance healthy since it went to the Aviva, but there's certainly scope for improvement, and 2016 was the time to really push it.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brusher View Post
    I don't think there's a better example out there of the power of good advertising and promotion. Lidl have played a blinder in terms of promoting the ladies gaelic football. If the FAI could get a sponsor with that level of engagement involved in the FAI cup the attendances would shoot up.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Page 17 of 47 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast