Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: I've lost faith in Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Exactly Macy, I was at a match in Old Trafford a few years back and two locals had a fight in the stand - one thought the other was a daytripper and started on him for, in his eyes, destroying his local club.
    Fists flew before the second guy managed to take off his top, show his tattoos and declare 'I'm a fukin Manc too mate, not one of 'em other kuntz'. Needless to say I shifted uncomfortably in my seat.
    I have family living in London who support Arsenal and Chelsea, and they also tell me the hardcore local fans of the big clubs HATE the plastics who fly in, go to a game, and bugger off again, they blame them for hiking prices and making tickets hard to come by and say that while the money men at the club are delighted to see these tourists, the 'ordinary' fan on the street just wishes they'd fukoff and never come back.
    "Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins."
    "Homer Simpson, smiling politely."

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    just as a matter of interest does anyone remember hearing about a massive brawl in crumlin pub about 5 or 6 years ago between united and liverpool fans all from dublin of course - i remember my boss telling me about it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    It is possible to be both a support of an LOI club and an English club. I have been supporting an English team since I was 6 and went to my first game at 7. I did not have a local league of Ireland club until I was 11 and immediately started going to watch them at Belgium Park and went to most home games and many away when I lived in Ireland. Logically I know its ridiculous to be an Irish Liverpool supporter and I often try to justify it with family connections to Liverpool and that the first Liverpool manager was from Monaghan and I know from going to Anfield that Irish fans - and there are a lot who go every second week - can be considered daytrippers by Scouse fans. But supporting football teams is not a logical thing and I have a deep emotional connection with Liverpool now. I don't see how it is impossible to go to Gortakeegan or whatever your local ground and also get the armchair out and watch your English, Scottish or Spanish team as well. But most Irish sports fans are event junkies and top-level GAA and rugby cater to that; there is no tradition here like in England or elsewhere of supporting your club week in, week out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Yes it is. I follow Man Utd & Coventry in England, check out the results of Hibs in Scotland, Celta Vigo in Spain, Inter in Italy, Ajax in Holland, Lorient in France, Sparta inm Czech Republic and Bayern in Germany. That is because I am a football fan. BUT my first love is, and always will be, Galway United

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    The way you choose Liverpool is because 1) They were good and you like glory hunting 2) you copied your friends/family members who supported them. 3) they had a few Irish players or 4) you liked their shirt?

Why did you not choose Macclesfield or Tranmere (for example)?

There is no way in hell you can argue that you are a true football fan if you have no interest in your own LoI, or local team.

And i bet you wrapped the Irish flag around you last saturday? Arent brazil a better team to follow for you - thery are good and have nice shiny jerseys
    I bet you cheer against England too at football
    I supported Liverpool because when I was 5 my cousin two years older then me did so and I looked up to him. I support then since - so what's your point? a young kid will always be influenced by those closest to him.

I would go to the odd LOI game and always like to see them do well in Europe. If a LOI team were playing Liverpool and they beat them I would be happy for the profile it gives Irish club football.

I don't support a LOI team - deal with it

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodquayBoy View Post
    Exactly Macy, I was at a match in Old Trafford a few years back and two locals had a fight in the stand - one thought the other was a daytripper and started on him for, in his eyes, destroying his local club.
    Fists flew before the second guy managed to take off his top, show his tattoos and declare 'I'm a fukin Manc too mate, not one of 'em other kuntz'. Needless to say I shifted uncomfortably in my seat.
    I have family living in London who support Arsenal and Chelsea, and they also tell me the hardcore local fans of the big clubs HATE the plastics who fly in, go to a game, and bugger off again, they blame them for hiking prices and making tickets hard to come by and say that while the money men at the club are delighted to see these tourists, the 'ordinary' fan on the street just wishes they'd fukoff and never come back.
    Somebody who starts on some else on the street for no reason is generally known as a thug - the guy you describe above sounds like a first class scumbag who should be locked up -keys thrown away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Great thread. What I hate is people who only support foreign clubs and give me grief about supporting Limerick. I can't even walk around Limerick wearing a Limerick FC jersey without people staring at the jersey with funny looks. I find it very very odd when people who support say Liverpool etc.. (Don't get me wrong ive followed Man Utd since I could talk way before I was brought to a Limerick game) and slag Limerick for being crap. When I respond saying if everyone in Limerick who claims they a football supporter actually got off their arse and supported Limerick then they would be way better off both on and off the pitch in the future.

I never disagree that the standard is more, I usually agree after years of watching the First Division but its only going to get better if Irish people give it support. They can still watch their beloved Chelsea on TV anytime.

I always found it ironic and sums up the whole situation the fact that thousands of Irish people travel to Stamford Bridge every second week when their hardcore fan base has/or had a serious anti-Irish element in it.
    For all the latest League of Ireland news visit www.extratime.ie

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kennedmc View Post
    I supported Liverpool because when I was 5 my cousin two years older then me did so and I looked up to him. I support then since - so what's your point? a young kid will always be influenced by those closest to him.

I would go to the odd LOI game and always like to see them do well in Europe. If a LOI team were playing Liverpool and they beat them I would be happy for the profile it gives Irish club football.

Unlucky, but then I suppose you can't choose your relations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Not a good enough excuse. I support Man Utd for the same reason but now I also go to every single Limerick game I can and support them in many other ways and I still watch the majority of Manchester United games on TV and would go to Old Trafford if I wasnt a broke student.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CMcC View Post
    Unlucky, but then I suppose you can't choose your relations.
    Or the fact that your Irish

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Somebody who starts on some else on the street for no reason is generally known as a thug - the guy you describe above sounds like a first class scumbag who should be locked up -keys thrown away.
    The pair of them were plastered, to be honest, but for me it was just a snapshot of the attitude of the hardcore local fans of English clubs to the bandwagon-jumping, glory-hunting, event-junkie football fans from Ireland who couldn't locate the ground of their nearest LOI team if it meant they'd get a free season ticket, flights and accommodation for 'their' team in a country the majority of them hate given the 800 years of oppression we all suffered (yawn).
    My support for Man Utd is also down to family ties (my uncle supported them and I idolised him), but my loyalty is to Galway UNited not Man United, just as it is to Ireland and not England.
    Regarding L37Ultra's jersey reflection, I get the same, play 5-a-side every week in my United jersey, I have had people ask me why I was wearing that, and ask me 'can you not afford a real jersey?' I haven't snapped yet with such comments, but breaking point is fast approaching
    Last edited by WoodquayBoy; 18/11/2009 at 11:04 AM. Reason: sp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodquayBoy View Post
    I get the same, play 5-a-side every week in my United jersey, I have had people ask me why I was wearing that, and ask me 'can you not afford a real jersey?' I haven't snapped yet with such comments, but breaking point is fast approaching
    Its a culture that exists that would take years to change if ever.

Once a fellow wearing a Liverpool jacket on a bus in Limerick asked did I play with Limerick when I was wearing a Limerick FC jacket. I said no why? His response was why you wearing that so? I told him I supported Limerick FC and he laughed. So I asked him did he play with Liverpool and thats why I now drive

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts

When I was a kid I used to "support" Man U because my older cousin did. Then when I was about 13 or 14, I realised that was daft, switched to Stoke, and started going down the Carlisle. I've never looked back.

When you get people like the lad I mentioned in the OP, who make some stupid excuse to make themselves feel better about supporting a foreign club, it makes my blood boil.

The actual course of the argument went along the lines of:

Rich: "You're from Manchester? Are you a United fan?"

Laura: "No, I support City, most people in Manchester do"

Rich: "No they don't. Man United are the biggest club in the world. Man United, Liverpool, Arsenal, they're all Irish clubs, that's why they're so successful"

Laura the Manc: "What are you talking about? Man United were founded by railway workers. Liverpool were a made-up club founded because Everton left Anfield, and Arsenal were a team from a British Army munitions store"

Rich: "Ah you wouldn't understand. You're probably a Protestant."

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    You think thats bad, I heard a group of lads in Ireland jerseys singing a United song on the way to Croker the other night, I decided on the spot that this would be the last Ireland game i ever to go

Did you say anything to them? Or did you just decide that you were going to go home and write a strongly worded paragraph on Foot.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    The actual course of the argument went along the lines of:

Rich: "You're from Manchester? Are you a United fan?"

Laura: "No, I support City, most people in Manchester do"

Rich: "No they don't. Man United are the biggest club in the world. Man United, Liverpool, Arsenal, they're all Irish clubs, that's why they're so successful"

Laura the Manc: "What are you talking about? Man United were founded by railway workers. Liverpool were a made-up club founded because Everton left Anfield, and Arsenal were a team from a British Army munitions store"

Rich: "Ah you wouldn't understand. You're probably a Protestant."

Hmmmm ..... you couldn't make this up .......... or maybe you could? Either that or Rich is the biggest gloryhunting stereotype of all time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nedser View Post
    Hmmmm ..... you couldn't make this up .......... or maybe you could? Either that or Rich is the biggest gloryhunting stereotype of all time.
    Cross my heart I didn't make it up! My flatmate literally won't come along on class nights out with me any more in case Rich is there!

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nedser View Post
    Hmmmm ..... you couldn't make this up
    I know, just how deluded people are, I mean, most people in Manchester support city!?!??
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    So, if you mother had decided to bring you to visit your other cousins that faithful day you could be a Man Utd fan. Such whims and coincidences are not how you should start supporting any team.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts

So if your cousin supported Manure Utd then........................quite random isnt it?

Dont care if you diss the LOi, it really is your loss.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    I support Man Utd..have done since I was a wee boy. My dad took me to see Harps and I was hooked ever since and they always come before Man Utd. If I had tickets to Finn Harps v Derry City and tickets to Man Utd v Liverpool and they were both on the same night, I'd be in Finn Park cheering on MY team. Some people would say I'm mad but that's the way it is!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast