Page 133 of 154 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135143 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,660 of 3069

Thread: League of Ireland in Europe 2016

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Four: Finn, O'Donnell, Kilduff and Gannon. The first three all played in the Europa League and Gannon was in the squad.
    Thanks for that info. Shelbourne '04 were an inspiration for champions that followed, leaving a side the financial gambling of course.
    Shamrock Rovers then brought Irish football back to a high level. There are signs that it is a help for Dundalk to have players who have experience of Europa League. Like anything in life, previous experience is beneficial to the current campaign. Rovers '11 made new ground making the group stage. Dundalk are building on that and raising the bar. Kenny's time with Derry as well and that great run in the summer of '06. PSG were some opponent to take on in the then knock-out first round.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    “I have spoken to him,” O’Neill added. “He is a very nice footballer. He has been on the radar for some time. We have had him watched. Roy saw him not so long ago.

The time he did see him play he actually came back and said it probably wasn’t his best game, which I think Conor agreed with.

But he can definitely play and he seems to have taken more responsibility on the field too.

“Hopefully, if he continues to improve the way he is going, that at some stage or another that he should make the squad.”
    O'Neill's famous motivation skills.

He should take a leaf out of Kenny's book.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,352 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post

I would still rate Shelbourne '04 as a better team and better European performance. They lost out in the final CL qualifying round to a recent semi-finalist. There was no champions route at the time. In the first round proper of the UEFA Cup Shelbourne arguably had a tougher opponent than AZ or Tel Aviv.
    Was that a serious remark?
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Rovers enquired about a dispensation and were told it wasn't possible. They got a dispensation for a temporary stand instead on the understanding a permanent one would be installed. Not sure why Dundalk were allowed a dispensation.
    I would doubt that it was a serious enquiry because Uefa have been giving dispensations aplenty to other teams to allow them to play qualifiers on their modest home grounds, even when a cat 3 stadium was 2 or 3km away.

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    You beat me to this post

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickccfc View Post
    You beat me to this post
    Elaborate on what ye are asking...
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Effectively the same thing.

But while Dundalk keep on exceeding expectations, it's hard to see how they'll take a point off Zenit, who are a serious step ahead of either AZ or Maccabi (as their results have shown)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Fine yes, but also impossible.
    Dundalk's chances of upsetting higher ranked opposition being dismissed again?

8. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,252 Posts
    Again?

I noted earlier in the thread that Irish teams knocked out Israeli and Dutch teams the last time they met.

I do think Zenit will be a step too much - but either way, Zenit steamrolling the group is a good thing for Dundalk.

In other news, Killer in the official team of the week, alongside Totti up front

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I would doubt that it was a serious enquiry because Uefa have been giving dispensations aplenty to other teams to allow them to play qualifiers on their modest home grounds, even when a cat 3 stadium was 2 or 3km away.
    I assume they've lowered their standards then because they didn't spunk a couple of hundred grand or whatever it was on a temporary stand out of solidarity with the construction industry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,352 Posts
    Elaborate on what ye are asking...
    You really believe that Shelbourne team to be better than the current Dundalk team? You really believe that Lille side were far superior to AZ or Maccabi Tel Aviv?
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    You really believe that Shelbourne team to be better than the current Dundalk team? You really believe that Lille side were far superior to AZ or Maccabi Tel Aviv?
    At the moment I would rate Shelbourne's European run in '04 higher than Dundalk's to date. There was no champions route back then. Yes, in my opinion Lille were a more difficult opponent than AZ and Tel Aviv. Shelbourne didn't have the luxury of a group stage.

Dundalk's next 4 games will shape my opinion further.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    For the week that's in it, I've decided to take a look at the likelihood of Dundalk being seeded in the Champions League Second Qualifying Round next season if they go on and win the league, or what they need to do in the remaining Europa League matches to ensure they're seeded. Obviously quite early to analyse it fully and there are a lot of different permutations, but will be something to keep an eye on over the coming weeks as some of the other summer leagues finish up.

To be seeded, they will need 22 teams with a lower co-efficient than themselves to qualify for next season's Champions League (assuming Kosovan clubs meet the UEFA licensing criteria as expected). I've listed the lowest ranking leagues in order below, and included all the clubs (if any) in those leagues that have a higher co-efficient than Dundalk. Dundalk's current co-efficient is 5.815. Another draw will give them 6.865 and another win will give them 7.915. I've included the other summer season leagues whose champions have been or will be decided soon at the bottom.

• Kosovo - None
    • San Marino - None
    • Andorra - None
    • Gibraltar - None
    • Faroe Island - None
    • Wales - None
    • Malta - None
    • Lithuania - Zalgiris 5.825
    • Northern Ireland - None
    • Luxembourg - None
    • Armenia - None
    • Montenegro - None
    • Estonia - None
    • Macedonia - None
    • Latvia - None
    • Georgia - None
    • Bosnia - None
    • Albania - Skenderbeu Korce 6.800
    • Finland - HJK Helsinki 10.530. HJK in 1st place by 2 points ahead of IFK Mariehamn (2.030) with 3 matches to play.
    • Iceland - FH 6.175 already champions
    • Moldova - Sheriff Tiraspol 11.150
    • Hungary - Videoton 8.650, Debrecen 6.900
    • Slovakia - Slovan Bratislava 7.350, Trencin 6.850, Spartak Trnava 6.850, MSK Zilina 5.850
    • Slovenia - Maribor 21.125
    • Kazakhstan - Astana 14.650, Aktobe 7.400, Shaktyor Karagandy 6.900. Astana in 1st place by 4 points ahead of Kairat (5.400) with 5 matches to play.
    • Bulgaria - Ludogorets Razgrad 31.025
    • Serbia - Partizan Belgrade 16.075, Vojvodina 9.075, Red Star Belgrade 7.325
    • Azerbaijan - Qarabag 14.850, Neftchi 9.600, Qabala 7.600, Inter Baku 5.850
    • Cyprus - APOEL 19.910, Apollon Limassol 10.410, Omonia 7.910, AEL Limassol 7.910, AEK Larnaca 5.910
    • Israel - Maccabi Tel Aviv 19.975, Maccabi Haifa 7.975, Hapoel Tel Aviv 7.975, Hapoel Beer Sheva 7.475, Hapoel Kiryat Shmona 7.475

• Norway - Rosenborg 12.665 already champions
    • Sweden - Malmo 16.945, Elfsborg 10.445, AIK 9.945, Gothenburg 7.945, Helsingborg 6.945. Malmo in 1st place by 1 point ahead of IFK Norkopping (4.945) with 6 games left.
    • Belarus - BATE 29.475, Dinamo Minsk 10.975, Shakhtyor Saligorsk 7.475. BATE in 1st place by 15 points with 7 matches to play.

That means at this point there are 16 teams guaranteed to be below them. Another draw in the Europa League would bring that up to 19 guaranteed, and a win up to 20. In addition to this, the Finnish, Swedish and Slovakian Leagues look the most promising at this early stage to be won by clubs with a lower co-efficient, and there's always a chance of a wildcard from the higher-ranked leagues.

It seems very likely that if Dundalk don't claim any further Europa League results they will miss out on seeding, and while another win won't even guarantee seeding I think it makes it fairly probable.

If Cork win the league of course, then I've just wasted an hour of my Friday night...
    Last edited by JayC90; 01/10/2016 at 1:46 AM. Reason: Adding links to league tables

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    At the moment I would rate Shelbourne's European run in '04 higher than Dundalk's to date. There was no champions route back then. Yes, in my opinion Lille were a more difficult opponent than AZ and Tel Aviv. Shelbourne didn't have the luxury of a group stage.

Suppose the saying is true. Opinions are like arseholes. Everybody has one
    Long Live King Kenny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    I only found out at my Wedding last night. This is some serious team. To be doing this on 3 fronts is quite simply, phenomenal.
    Hold on a minute. If I'm reading correctly. Ger got married yesterday and no one picked up on it.

Congratulations sir.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    509 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Hold on a minute. If I'm reading correctly. Ger got married yesterday and no one picked up on it.

Congratulations sir.
    Honeymoon is going well I reckon.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Bohs were beat anyway.That's an excuse for bondage and an extra shag if ever there was one!!

Congrats to Ger and the wife on the marrying and best wishes to both of you for the future.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts

I'm not sure the point your trying to make is valid. Dundalk have now played 8 Euro games this season, granted 2 are group matches but I think the record of P8 W2 L2 D4 would have to be a accepted as one of the better Irish performance, of recent times.

Also this included wins v BATE and thurs night v a top Israeli side, not to mention away draws against the Polish and Icelandic champions and a top 4 Dutch side.

Edit: fixed about Macabi comment, forgot they didn't win the Israeli league.

Shelbourne were an excellent side back in 2004, there is no doubt about that, but probably their stand out euro win was 3-2 at home to Hajduk Split, possibly after beating Glentoran?
    Last edited by oriel; 01/10/2016 at 9:28 AM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    I meant to add, massive thanks to all other LOI fans who attended on Thursday night, I was in the east stand, saw Bohs, Pats & Sligo fans, and a a few Longford lads in the Maldron.

I'm sure there were plenty of other clubs, just to say thanks to all, very much appreciated guys.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    I'm not sure the point your trying to make is valid. Dundalk have now played 8 Euro games this season, granted 2 are group matches but I think the record of P8 W2 L2 D4 would have to be a accepted as one of the better Irish performance, of recent times.

Also this included wins v BATE and last night v the Israeli champions, not to mention away draws against the Polish and Icelandic champions and a top 4 Dutch side.

Shelbourne were an excellent side back in 2004, there is no doubt about that, but probably their stand out euro win was 3-2 at home to Hajduk Split, possibly after beating Glentoran?
    Maccabi aren't the Israeli champions.

Point still stands. Our record this season is better than any other Irish team.

Besides the fact though to date the bate victory was our biggest scalp. The draw in az maybe in the future if we get out of the group but to destroy a team 300 places above you tells it's own story

25. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxy lilywhite View Post
    Point still stands. Our record this season is better than any other Irish team.
    Great, now Robbie's crying again. Happy?