Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Question What are you reading now

I just started the 'A Secret History of the IRA' & potential is good so far.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Good book, enjoyed all the more cos one of the participants lives on my road. Myself I'm currently reading the Cosa Nostra, a history on the sicilian mafia, excellent background to the whole thing.
    And you ask me to help you??!! Man is evil!!!! Capable of nothing but destruction!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    Richard English I think. Read it a long time back but things got bad for me so I put it away. Never got to finish it.

I only ever read history, travel and autobiography. Just finished John B Keane's Bodhran Maker. Relatively light reading was required and now I'm reading Kaplin's Balkan Ghosts.

Brendan

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    this thread.

5. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Reading "The Westies" a history about the Hells Kitchen American Irish gang. Brutal stuff carried out by all, interesting though

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thumbs down

Have just finished 1st Grisham novel (only book lying around at home) i ever read & fairly easy going. Can see why popular but not very challenging.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Just finishing Michael Moore's "Will they ever trust us again?".About to start Bill Maher's "Does anybody have a problem with that?"

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    'The Killing Anniversary'-Ian St. James. Good read-especially if you like Geffery Archer 'Kane and Able'/'Prodical daughter' sage style. Follows 4 men in Ireland from their childhood right through. All linked in desire for revenge. Starts in 1922 so covers an especially interesting part of our history with Free state, the North, involvment in the war etc.
    Not particularly challenging but very well researched and historically accurate-good to read on the bus and before bed. The odd slower part but most keeps you wanting to pick it up again whenever you can.

For those of you who liked 'A Secret History of the IRA' -I havn;t red it myself but recently read 'Black Operations: the Scret War Against the Real IRA'- documentarty style written by a man who lost his son in Omagh and a journalist. Not much groundbreaking stuff but covers it all in great depth. You need a head for names and a strong interest in the subject.
    Long live the Pope! Free Burma (NLD/SNLD), Free Tibet (Burma Campaign/Free Tibet Campaign Alliance), Free the Rossport 5! (ACCOMPLISHED 30/09/05)

BOYCOTT TOTAL OIL-Please Read!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Just finished The Miracle of Castel di Sangro. Remarkable story told by a very annoying person. It speaks volumes about the story that it manages to win out over all the Americanisations in the book!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Yeh, P.Stu. - see it featured in last Sunday's Observer Sport Monthly as one of the top sports books. McGinnis is hard to take but what I liked about him was his almost childlike love of the game, a new convert as it were. His style was irrating though, agreed.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Just finished Anne Applebaum's GULAG - a history. A frightening read on the ability of humans to be cruel, careless and plain stupid. Imagine being charged, tried, convicted and sentenced to 20 years hard labour for blowing up a bridge that never actually existed....madness.
    don't worry, they couldn't hit an elephant at this dis......

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    Excellent book.

Don't tend to read novels, more non-fiction, but Grisham's are okay for easy reading about lawyers...

Not really reading anything at the moment, except DIY reference books
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Just finished 'Hells Angels' by Hunter S. Thompson. Great insight into biker culture in 60's America. Hunter S. is a bit of a lunatic himself but comes across as very likeable. Ive just started 'Shadows of the Wind' by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. So far its been excellent, unusual story based around books and set in Barcelona after WW2. Ordered 'The Miracle of Castel di Sangro' and 'Theres only One Red Army' after they were recommended in a previous thread - looking forward to both.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Goldfinger-Ian Fleming,easy reading,good story,better than the film.
    MOT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Reading 'Hegemony or Survival' by Noam Chomsky.
    Basically it's a critique of American foreign policy from the late 1950s to the present, for anyone not familiar with Chomsky.

Just finished 'Star of the Sea' by Joseph O'Connor.
    Highly recommended.
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    just finished back to back harlen cobens and now reading "blowfly" by patricia cornwell.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I'm going on holidays soon,can anyone recommend a good read that I can take with me,something easy on the head like.
    MOT

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublin12
    I'm going on holidays soon,can anyone recommend a good read that I can take with me,something easy on the head like.
    Last summer i read The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night and one of Ross O'Carroll Kelly's while on holidays. Perfect for light, humourous reading.
    "I don’t want to tempt fate, but Thierry Henry is not having one of his best nights." - RTE co-commentator Jim Beglin, minutes before TH struck the stunning winner.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I'm reading "On Another Man's Wound" by Ernie O'Malley. It's the story of his part in the Irish conflict from 1916-1921. While it paints a clear picture of the country at the time, of the mindset of the people and of what it would have been like to be around then, he tends to contradict himself sometimes when giving factual information which is a bit irritating. Also, the punctuation at times is quite poor which can mean having to reread a sentence 2 or 3 times to make sure you are interpreting it correctly. I'll stick with it for the time being though.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Reading "The Stone Rosses" by John Robb at the moment good book which give a detailed history of the band. Would recomend it to any Rosses fan.

Before that I was reading "A Million little peices" by James Frey. One of the best books I read in a long time. It describes the writters struggle to get clean from several types of drug in his own way not adopting the so called 12 steps. When he was admitted to rehab at the age of 23 he was the youngest ever to enter the program with one of the longest addiction lists. The scene where he describes having to get dental work with out any anesthesia make you cringe

Would recomend it to anyone
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast