Page 384 of 394 FirstFirst ... 284334374382383384385386 ... LastLast
Results 7,661 to 7,680 of 7867

Thread: The say anything, what's on your mind thread

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    Thanks, Bonnie - give her an extra long pat every chance you get.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    It's funny you say that. I get a small pang of anxiety some mornings when I leave the house without going into the kitchen. This morning was one of those mornings
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    What kind of dog is it Bonnie? Our family German Shepherd made it to 12 a few years back until his hips went...sad thing was he was 100% "mentally". Just stopped eating and couldn't get around. But still wanted to play. Huge dog. My sister rescued him when he was a puppy when she was in college. He was pretty well known in the town I grew up in...I would go home and walk him and people would stop their cars and talk to him and ignore me!

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    Glad this day is over. Had to take a pet to the vet today to be put to sleep. 9 year old cat, he took ill on Monday and went downhill rapidly. Mrs Grise and I stayed with him while the sedative took effect, then it was all over in seconds with a massive shot of GA. We pretty much knew Wednesday morning what was coming after the third antibiotic failed, and the vets let us take him home for that night but still.... Knew I'd miss him - he had tons of personality and presence - just didn't think I'd be this miserable.
    Sorry to hear that EG went through very similar with our older cat in November. Went from a little limp to paralysis within a week, cancelled a trip away and spent a fortune on an MRI to discover a spinal tumour and no hope for recovery. We adopted her as soon as we bought our house and had her over 8 years. It really is a huge shock to the system, watching the injection take effect and saying goodbye was heartbreaking.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisLetang View Post
    What kind of dog is it Bonnie? Our family German Shepherd made it to 12 a few years back until his hips went...sad thing was he was 100% "mentally". Just stopped eating and couldn't get around. But still wanted to play. Huge dog. My sister rescued him when he was a puppy when she was in college. He was pretty well known in the town I grew up in...I would go home and walk him and people would stop their cars and talk to him and ignore me!
    She's a Tibetan Spaniel. Though doesn't have a pug nose thankfully Still looks like a puppy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Ugh. Read this article about Bali tourists being tricked into eating dog:

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2017/0...discovers.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    Glad this day is over. Had to take a pet to the vet today to be put to sleep. 9 year old cat, he took ill on Monday and went downhill rapidly. Mrs Grise and I stayed with him while the sedative took effect, then it was all over in seconds with a massive shot of GA. We pretty much knew Wednesday morning what was coming after the third antibiotic failed, and the vets let us take him home for that night but still.... Knew I'd miss him - he had tons of personality and presence - just didn't think I'd be this miserable.
    While we're sharing cat grief, one of mine passed in March. He was only about three and seemingly perfectly normal. I got up for work and fed him and his buddy, same as any other morning, everything completely normal. Just as I was about to walk out the front door I heard a bit of commotion coming from the kitchen/living room. I went back in and the other cat ran nervously past me. I went into the living room and the now deceased cat was on the floor in distress. As I picked him up I knew straight away he was a goner, and basically the life just drained out of him in my arms.

The mad thing is, the exact same thing happened with our previous cat a few years earlier. In that case I was watching TV in the bedroom of my then bungalow, heard a bang in the kitchen so I went to check it out (mainly to give out to the little devil) when I saw her gasping for breath on the floor in front of the sink. I lifted her up and ran back into the bedroom to get my girlfriend to ring the vet but it was way too late, died in my arms just like the other one. She wasn't even a year old.

We never really found out what happened, for years we actually had it in our heads that she must have misjudged a jump from the top of the press to the kitchen counter or something, which would have explained the bang anyway. With what has happened since though we're thinking it must have been some sort of sudden death syndrome. Apparently the two cats were related so it might have been some hereditary defect maybe.

Giving our frustration (on top of everything else) at it happening a second time, we had an autopsy carried out on the more recent cat. The vet was as flabbergasted as ourselves and emphasised how unusual it is. That said, I suppose not many people bring their cats to the vet after they die, so it would make sense that they wouldn't hear of it very often. The autopsy didn't really show much, he said his heart looked perfectly healthy so he concluded it must have been brain-related, some over-electrical activity or something.

It's seriously gutting when it happens though, like your own, he was a big character and was actually more dog-like in a lot of ways - he would actually run across the estate to you when you'd pull up in the car and that kind of thing. We've since taken in a newbie from the animal shelter, she's been through a tough time of it having been dragged along by a car resulting in a serious leg operation. We were warned that it might take a very long time for her to gel with our remaining tom cat and it was fairly tense initially, but they're brilliant around each other now a very short time later.

It was a little cringy but the animal shelter crowd actually took a photo of us with our new cat and put it up on their Facebook page. A friend of mine saw it and edited the photo with all these grim reaper symbols around it, given our history as suspected cat killers! He only sent it on to me privately of course but it was actually pretty funny, in a dark humour kind of way.

That was a lot longer than I had intended but I hope ye're getting over your little fella anyway. Time is a good healer I must say and I would highly recommend a rebound replacement.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 22/06/2017 at 7:44 AM.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I wonder what over electrical activity could mean. He just got too excited? And how much does a cat autopsy cost?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Yeah I wasn't sure about the electricty thing either, it was more a process of elimination suggestion on his part as opposed to a definite finding. Don't think it was anything to do with his excitement levels though, more a defect of some sort.

Think it was €50. Not much too it really! If we really wanted to get to the bottom of it they could have sent the organs off for further examination/tests and that which would have probably cost a lot more, but we left it at that.

13. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    Sounds genetic alright DeLorean. Terrible you had to go through it twice. I know exactly what you mean by a cat that's more like a dog - described our chap to a T! Fair play to you for choosing a cat with such needs - so often they're the ones that get overlooked in shelters, but have so much to give their servants, I mean owners.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Have you ever seen "Cats" on Broadway Eminence? It ran forever, stopped, and is back now. Like a bad rash.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    Not a live performance. Have you ever read Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats on which it's based? I have a fondness for Jennyanydots and loved Macavity the Mystery Cat from the first day I read it in primary school, though, personally, I've never met a cat that is such a contrarian as The Rum Tum Tugger.
    Last edited by Eminence Grise; 23/06/2017 at 3:15 PM.
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Is it really based on a book? I didn't know that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    So Banksy is (maybe) Massive Attack member Robert Del Naja? Wild stuff there.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    Is it really based on a book? I didn't know that.
    Yeah, it's a collection of poetry written by TS Eliot for his godchildren. Whimsical and playful, and worth a read - even for anybody not that much into poetry.
    - E Tattsyrup.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    So Banksy is (maybe) Massive Attack member Robert Del Naja? Wild stuff there.
    That rumour has been going around for at least 20 years. Every artist in Bristol has been proven to be Banksy at some point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Seems to have taken up a little steam tho Charlie you randy man.

Why do they charge for sauces at Crackbird? I'm a bit put off by that.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    They charge us nothing. We make Mexico pay for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Seems to have taken up a little steam tho Charlie you randy man.

Why do they charge for sauces at Crackbird? I'm a bit put off by that.
    Wait til you try their Szechuan sauce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    That rumour has been going around for at least 20 years. Every artist in Bristol has been proven to be Banksy at some point.
    Neil Buchanan is my personal favourite, Banksy.