Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Identity Crisis FC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KianD View Post
    It was codified as a modification as soccer some years AFTER the foundation of the IFA. So yes, yes it is a 'foreign sport'.
    Quote Originally Posted by KianD View Post

I'm neither a sad ******* nor slagging off Gaelic football - you're inferring things my very short post did not say. I'm stating that it is a modification of "football", just another different codification which appeared in the late 19th Century - and which appeared after we already had a football association on this island.

Where on earth do you get material to infer that I don't support the Irish national team, or that I've even mentioned peoples sense of locality or tribalism? Answers on the back of a postcard please...
    By refering to a sport that prides itself on being distinctly irish as a foreign sport i do believe you are slating it my friend. If you cant see that then you need to take your head out of your ar*e.
    Marge: Homer, the plant called. They said if you don't show up tomorrow don't bother showing up on Monday.
    Homer: Woo-hoo. Four-day weekend
    -
    Trappattoni+Tardelli+Brady=Holy Trinity of Irish Football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ireland4ever View Post
    By refering to a sport that prides itself on being distinctly irish as a foreign sport i do believe you are slating it my friend. If you cant see that then you need to take your head out of your ar*e.
    His point is that Gaelic Football is a foreign sport because it's just an adaptation of soccer. It's not a purely Irish sport and was not the first version of football to be played on the island. Just because something is played predominantly in one country and is a big part of that country's sporting culture doesn't necessarily mean the sport is not foreign.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ireland4ever View Post
    Its not slating it, and if you think that you've got a very good ability to twist what someones saying. Theres no heads up arses, except possibly yours and some sort of victimisation complex...

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Good thread this

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by citizenerased View Post
    Originally Posted by KianD
    It was codified as a modification as soccer some years AFTER the foundation of the IFA. So yes, yes it is a 'foreign sport'.

HA Ha AH , are ye for real,,,ye are a basket of contradictions...Slating other Irish men for following English soccer teams and questioning their sense of locality and tribalism for forsaking their local EL Teams,,,yet you have the audacity to slag of a game which is by far the most community oriented and tribalist sport in the country and claim it is a foreign sport,,,you are a sad bast**d my friend..simple as..

No wonder people dont go to EL matches, not because the standard is poor but because they have to stand beside a --------- like you for 90 minutes...I suppose you don't follow the irish football team either because there are no EL players in it??

Come on Sunder -Ireland...

Joe I know not all EL fans are the same, one of my mates is a die-hard drogs fan and he would agree with me on some of my points...and the c word has been used throughout this thread and its only my post that gets deleted!!!!

Are you really saying that you do not go to League of Ireland games because some people think that their is a snobbish element to the game. I think the fact is that GAA is a derivative of Association Fooball or soccer as its know amongst some people. So if soccer is a foreign sport than also is the GAA as it comes from soccer. However GAA was set up purely as a nationalistic movement and is not purely a sporting organisation.

What makes no sense is supporting GAA because its our own and it is Irish and then supporting Man Utd and Chelsea and Liverpool. I have more respect for die hard GAA fans who hate soccer than the guy who supports Meath and Liverpool. (just examples)

I have pointed this out years before, that it is ok to support English clubs as not everybody believes in nationalism and they are not proud of their country etc, that is fine, but do not be proud of yoru country one minute by being a GAA Fan as its Irish and then support Sunderland cause its Irish or Liverpool cause its IRish or Celtic cause its Irish. This is were the hypocrisy is.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    My problem is the people who refer to foreign clubs as 'we' and the sort of people who believe 'them yanks are destroying our club'

I have no problem if people support Liverpool because they admire their success, or style but claiming to be a fan just ****es me off.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The GAA was founded when we were being ruled by Britain so you could say it is a foreign sport.

County borders as already mentioned were drawn up by the British.

So not to support a team from another county out of pride for your own is bull.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    I have more respect for die hard GAA fans who hate soccer than the guy who supports Meath and Liverpool. (just examples).
    I'm torn, to be honest.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Gaelic football is just a mongrel mixture of other ball games which manages to be less than the sum of its parts.
    Hard to know what the ugliest part of it is - maybe the socks around the ankles?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I just thought this thread was brilliant and wanted to revive it.

Here goes.....

Bump!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfc1928 View Post
    I just thought this thread was brilliant and wanted to revive it.

Here goes.....

Bump!
    Thanks, but your wasting your. This board has gone to ****e.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789