Thread: My Proposal for Irish Soccer League

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My Proposal for Irish Soccer League

Here is my radical proposal.
    The FAI and IFA merge the top flights to create one top division on the island. The 1st season would consist of the top 6 teams from both sides of the border. A condidtion would have to be that the first team be fully professional or 95% professional and have a minimum capacity of 3000 seats.
    There would be a division 1 on both sides of the border, where the top sides get promotion and the next two sides from each enter a four way play off. Division 1a and 1b would also consist of ten teams, and there would be a divison 2a and 2b also.
    If this happened it would require a significant media interest and a rebranding of soccer here, a la what happened in England when Sky launched the Premiership in 92/93.
    The top flight should have a catchy title, not "The Premiership" as there is a far superior premiership cross channel. We should call it the "Major League" or something like that, and with a media push there would be huge interest increases. All games should be played simultaneously on the one day aside from a day designated for a live tv game. We should go for something different that the Saturday cliché and go make Sunday "Major League" day. I know Sunday games are never great but here during the summer there is no premiership and we could brand the sunday the day of soccer. Maybe the live match could be the Sunday night or Monday night.

The season should be played during the summer.

Forcing clubs in the division to be pro would pay off. Clubs would firstly have a huge rise in attendances due to the launch of a new league. And they would be more likely to be offering young players the pro contracts as they would have to pay less, therefore having young exciting players in our league. The competition would be intense, and lets face it, if there were more clubs as pro as Bohs and Shels everyone would progress at a far better pace.

The standard of football would improve, competition would be fierce, and each club would strive to move forward. I honestly believe that we could have a massive league in Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Re: My Proposal for Irish Soccer League

Originally posted by hill_2003
    A condidtion would have to be that the [team first ??] be fully professional or 95% professional and have a minimum capacity of 3000 seats.
    Smaller clubs chasing promotion find it hard to fulfill these requirements.

There would be a division 1 on both sides of the border, where the top sides get promotion and the next two sides from each enter a four way play off.
    your promotion/relegation system is confusing, what would happen if the bottom three sides were all from the original irish league. could former EL teams be promoted in their place, or would the lowest placed former EL side (even if they were sixth) be relegated.

If this happened it would require a significant media interest and a rebranding of soccer here, a la what happened in England when Sky launched the Premiership in 92/93.
    Chicken and egg situation here, can it take off without media interest, will the media be interested unless it takes off.

We should call it the "Major League" or something like that, and with a media push there would be huge interest increases.
    Too american, you'd want to retain some semblance of irishness, i'd imagine it would end up being named after the league sponsors anyway.

All games should be played simultaneously on the one day aside from a day designated for a live tv game. We should go for something different that the Saturday cliché and go make Sunday "Major League" day. I know Sunday games are never great but here during the summer there is no premiership and we could brand the sunday the day of soccer. Maybe the live match could be the Sunday night or Monday night.
    Sunday is GAA day, too much competition. Monday night leaves the semi pros with taking time off work. I don't see what is wrong with Friday nights anyway.

The season should be played during the summer.
    summer is too sensitive politically for an all ireland league, can't have cork city/ shamrock rovers travelling to linfield on july 12th.

Forcing clubs in the division to be pro would pay off.
    Uefa licensing is taking us toward that goal, but not all clubs have a large enough following to go pro. 'Forcing' them to go pro could end up 'forcing' them out of existence.