Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: eL Club on the brink of going bust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve View Post
    1) I'm fairly certain WaterforD weren't mentioned in despatches over the IPL.
    Fair enough
    2) Why would the collapse of a club like Waterford bear any negative reflection on the Platinum proposal. Surely the only ones it would reflect badly on would be WUFC and the FAI. How can the FAI get off scot-free - even though they're the ones in charge of football there currently - whilst a third party with no involevemtn in football in Waterford get lined-up for the blame ? Oh - i forgot. It's more helpful to discredit the Platinum proposals to do it that way round...
    Calm down. I was merely making the point that if WUFC were one of the 12 proposed teams (due to the town's size and location & the club's history etc), then it would bode ill for their prospects as a full-time team if they are struggling to carry on on a part-time basis, that's all. That is hardly the same as absolving those responsible for WUFC's existing plight (Owners? Management? FAI?) from blame for their present problems.

3) Arguably the financial difficultiies of clubs like Waterford actually REINFORCE Platinum's arguements, by showing that Irish football is unfeasible in its current form.
    Non sequitur. WUFC's present difficulties merely demonstrate the deficiencies of the present set-up. This does not "endorse" the Platinum proposals as sound, never mind demonstrate that Platinum offer a better solution than the present set-up (though conceivably they might).

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by higgins View Post
    stann, clubs are monitored through the season to make sure they are sticking to the 65% rule.

Each month clubs send in their accounts and if you're running over the 65% you get punished. If you don't take steps to rectify the situation the punishments get worse.

Maybe Waterford are already in trouble with the FAI ???
    Fair enough, didn't know that.
    As I say I'm not privy to all the details but there has been no scuttlebutt around here about trouble with the FAI thus far. We've had two very high profile fundraisers so far this season, the Dunphy/Houghton night and the Champions League draw, both of which did very well I think, so I'd hazard a guess that they've been enough to keep the income high enough to keep everything kosher. The problem is that this money will soon be gone, there are no really big fundraisers in the offing (and that well might be dry for a while anyway), and that at the end of the day it's only bums on seats that will keep us up at the sharp end. Hence the appeal and the timing of it.
    more bass

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stann View Post
    Fair enough, didn't know that.
    As I say I'm not privy to all the details but there has been no scuttlebutt around here about trouble with the FAI thus far. We've had two very high profile fundraisers so far this season, the Dunphy/Houghton night and the Champions League draw, both of which did very well I think, so I'd hazard a guess that they've been enough to keep the income high enough to keep everything kosher. The problem is that this money will soon be gone, there are no really big fundraisers in the offing (and that well might be dry for a while anyway), and that at the end of the day it's only bums on seats that will keep us up at the sharp end. Hence the appeal and the timing of it.
    I think eL clubs could make a go of the Euros in June if organised properly. Its a good fund raiser opportunity at a time when theres not football being played.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Fair enough

Calm down. I was merely making the point that if WUFC were one of the 12 proposed teams (due to the town's size and location & the club's history etc), then it would bode ill for their prospects as a full-time team if they are struggling to carry on on a part-time basis, that's all. That is hardly the same as absolving those responsible for WUFC's existing plight (Owners? Management? FAI?) from blame for their present problems.

Non sequitur. WUFC's present difficulties merely demonstrate the deficiencies of the present set-up. This does not "endorse" the Platinum proposals as sound, never mind demonstrate that Platinum offer a better solution than the present set-up (though conceivably they might).
    Town Good God man we may have been religated from the premier,but please think of the children we're a City

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gotaroundbetter View Post
    Town Good God man we may have been religated from the premier,but please think of the children we're a City
    first city in ireland, may i add.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Another poor crowd last night despite the appeals all day yesterday on the radio for support.

Trouble could be nigh with three away games now so little income for the immediate future.

i hope Im wrong
    Who is this guy, Trapper Tony?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbyblob View Post
    Another poor crowd last night despite the appeals all day yesterday on the radio for support.

Trouble could be nigh with three away games now so little income for the immediate future.

i hope Im wrong
    Well it wasn't helped by a load of junior league matches taking place at the same time (I have no doubt that this was a deliberate, or at least a concious decision), and I think 3 school events (grads or something) taking many of the ultras away, not to mention the Eurovision and the finale of Desperate Housewives!
    Still a very poor show though, and to be honest it's now becoming apparent to all that despite all the goodwill and concern from them, and even money into draws and what not, the people of Waterford, the football fans of Waterford mind, couldn't give a flying one whether we survive or not when it comes down to it, not if they have to do anything anyway.
    Last edited by stann; 21/05/2008 at 12:18 PM.
    more bass

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    ..and the finale of Desperate Housewives!
    "Alright John, are you heading up to the RSC tonight?"

"Not tonight man, the finale of Desperate Housewives is on!"

www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    No about it.
    I know of one person who said pretty much exactly that. And he's often on here!
    more bass

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    No about it.
    I know of one person who said pretty much exactly that. And he's often on here!
    Name and shame!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    That's pathetic stuff. The only excuses you can use are if you have a match yourself or a big family event. Girlfriends, tv shows, etc can always wait. Imagine missing a game to watch an episode of a TV show you could just watch on the net weeks before its even on in this country.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Well it wasn't helped by a load of junior league matches taking place at the same time (I have no doubt that this was a deliberate, or at least a concious decision), and I think 3 school events (grads or something) taking many of the ultras away, not to mention the Eurovision and the finale of Desperate Housewives!

Hang on a sec. It also wasn't helped by the fact that it was a Tuesday night. A fact that you seem to gloss over. Midweek attendances are always going to be down, what with people's work commitments etc.

Your second paragraph is essentially, sadly, true though.
    Ceci n'est pas une signature

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeixlipRed View Post
    That's pathetic stuff. The only excuses you can use are if you have a match yourself or a big family event. Girlfriends, tv shows, etc can always wait. Imagine missing a game to watch an episode of a TV show you could just watch on the net weeks before its even on in this country.
    Leixlip Red in missing the shocker!
    more bass

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noby View Post
    Hang on a sec. It also wasn't helped by the fact that it was a Tuesday night. A fact that you seem to gloss over. Midweek attendances are always going to be down, what with people's work commitments etc.

Your second paragraph is essentially, sadly, true though.
    I wasn't intending to gloss over anything, noby. I didn't say anything about Tuesday night because I thought it was self evident - of course that was the over-riding factor, but it's one that has been mentioned many times, why repeat it?
    I just posted the other, less obvious and local factors (as well as the facetious ones) because forummers from outside Waterford wouldn't have been aware of them. They further depressed a figure that was already going to be well down on the typical Friday gate.
    Last edited by stann; 21/05/2008 at 12:56 PM.
    more bass

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Fair enough. Gloss over might be a bit much, but all this calling for true blues to show their real colours can't ignore the fact that a Tuesday night against Athlone is never going to be a big draw. I guess that (and the big gap to the next home gate) was the reason for the call out for fans to turn up.
    I had neither a match myself or a big family event, so I guess by Leixlip's criteria I should hang my head in shame.
    Ceci n'est pas une signature

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Leixlip Red in missing the shocker!
    What can I say, it's my favourite smiley.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noby View Post
    Fair enough. Gloss over might be a bit much, but all this calling for true blues to show their real colours can't ignore the fact that a Tuesday night against Athlone is never going to be a big draw. I guess that (and the big gap to the next home gate) was the reason for the call out for fans to turn up.
    I had neither a match myself or a big family event, so I guess by Leixlip's criteria I should hang my head in shame.
    Why weren't you there? How is Tuesday night different to a Friday? For part timers it is but for a hardcore fan it shouldn't matter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I myself have football commitments on four other nights this week between my own club and travelling up for the international Saturday. When you have a family these days somethings gotta give. Just happened to be WUFC this week.

I made me young lad go though....and then he got in free. Figure that one out.
    Who is this guy, Trapper Tony?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Yer assistant manager is gone.

Money saving step apparently.read more more it on aertel,this link: http://www.rte.ie/aertel/227-01.html

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eamo1 View Post
    Money saving step apparently.read more more it on aertel,this link: http://www.rte.ie/aertel/227-01.html
    Yeah he stepped down himself, posted on our own site this morning. Don't know what to think about that to be honest.
    more bass

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast