Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Damien Delaney

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RiffRaff View Post
    Hopefully they will all be part of a memorable Ireland tournament but if not there will be criticism for not selecting Delaney.
    The last thing Delaney needs is to be traipsing around Europe.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,680 Posts
    I don't think his comments are that fair really, not all of them anyway. If you take him literally he's admitting other players are more deserving than him and he'd only be clogging up a space for someone like Duffy coming through. I think he said "maybe" to answering a hypothetical call up. Fair enough if he never actually demanded a start which I'd accept but reading between all the lines O'Neill, who may be old school but is certainly no idiot, saw good reason to look beyond Delaney. Given that O'Neill made his club reputation on honest grafters of centre backs just like Damo you'd have to think it's pretty clear he has reason not to pick him. Delaney gave a good politician's answer.

I respect what he has done in his club career too. I can also see if his age and his injury history mean he prioritises his lucrative club career. No judgment from me whatsoever. I just don't think it's right to make some sort of cause celebre out of his situation. We have decent CBs. CB has not been a particular weakness under O'Neill.

WBA interested in Clark according to BBC anyway!

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,611 Posts
    Exactly Stutts. Don't forget we had, easily, the best defensive record in the qualifying group.

Riffraff, I really don't think MON will get any stick for not selecting Delaney (especially given the circumstances), at least not from someone to whom we should be paying attention i.e. Dunphy et al.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    The "traipsing around Europe" quote came from Martin O'Neill, not Delaney.

I have no problem with O'Shea, Clark & Keogh playing because they contributed to our qualifying, but equally if Delaney is willing to come back and be a part of the squad then egos should be put aside.

The fact of the matter is Delaney is the most consistent performer out of those 3 and if things go tits up in June there will be questions raised - rightly or wrongly.

Arter seems to be a shoo-in and there are positive noises about McGoldrick's inclusion, so by that token there shouldn't be a problem with including Delaney on his form - especially as he maintains he isn't looking for guarantees over playing time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    I think you need to listen to the bit of audio you posted. It's one of the first things he says.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    True Martin was quoted as saying it in February. Equally we've just heard Delaney saying it in the 98fm interview. Must have been something to that effect said when they last spoke.(sounds like a Cork colloquialism to me though boy)
    It's a little late in the day for this discussion. Fair play to Delaney for coming back to where he is. I'd have him in my squad, seems a sound skin. But he's not, let's move on?
    Last edited by Closed Account; 24/05/2016 at 11:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Delaney's situation is a bit different to other players his age in the squad.

He was never going to get included in the squad anyways so I agree it's futile to even debate it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,611 Posts
    Look, let's not build this up into something it isn't. Jack Charlton freezing David O'Leary out of the squad for 2 years and DOL - one of the best defenders in England at the time - missing out on the euros - now that was a real issue worth questioning the manager about.

Delaney is a guy who is more or less as good or as bad as the defenders we have in the squad all things considered (incl age). He's a good defender, not a great (David O"Leary type) defender. His inclusion won't materially change our performance. He also tried to hold the manager to ransom as a condition of playing for his country and it bit him in the arse. He's still fairly ambiguous about playing for us in the finals. He's been in decent form for 2-3 years now and now that there's a tournament coming up its becoming a big issue despite him contributing zero to our campaign and it being of his own volition. This is not the case some of you are making it out to be.

Now if Westwood stays at home behind one/any of Randolph, Given or Forde - I would have a problem with that.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Well it depends on who you want to believe. Delaney and O'Neill have conflicting stories about his absence from the squad. There has also been acrimony between Delaney and Keane in the past - though Delaney insists this hasn't been an issue.

Keogh & Clark have performed admirably when called upon and Duffy looked impressive in March so it's not something I am losing sleep over.

But I definitely think Delaney warrants a squad inclusion as one of the top 5 most consistent Irish players at PL level.

And I do think this will be used as a stick to beat O'Neill with if things to tits up - by Dunphy, Sadlier or Cunningham, not me.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    And I do think this will be used as a stick to beat O'Neill with if things to tits up - by Dunphy, Sadlier or Cunningham, not me.
    Just gonna quote this as insurance

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Well it depends on who you want to believe. Delaney and O'Neill have conflicting stories about his absence from the squad.
    Isn't the reality that O'Neill said to Delaney at some point in the past that he wouldn't be in his first-choice defensive pairing, so Delaney responded that if that was the case then he didn't need to be "traipsing around Europe" (or something to that effect)? It's not quite the same thing as explicitly "demanding a starting place", so Delaney would technically be correct to say he never made demands, whilst I could also see how O'Neill might have interpreted it as such. You could argue Delaney was essentially saying, "If I'm going to accept a call-up, it's conditional upon me doing more than simply traipsing around Europe (or sitting on the bench, in other words)".

O'Neill clarified the situation here: http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-31492439.html

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel McDonnell
    "[Delaney] said that he was of an age where he did not want to travel around with the team and really not be involved with the side. I [Martin O'Neill] said, 'I cannot guarantee you that'.

"It is relatively straightforward. I didn't fall out with him. Damien did not want to go to America (in May 2014). He played the match against Turkey and didn't want to travel a couple of days later.

"He volunteered the information that he thought I was going down another route. Not at all."
    O'Neill was alluding to Delaney's belief that Ireland required a coherent style of play across all levels, with the experienced centre-half adding that Giovanni Trapattoni's team had one even if it wasn't to everybody's liking.

"He asked me do I want to play a different way because I think he had played a couple of long balls or something like that," continued O'Neill.

"I said, 'not at all'. I have had some of the strongest centre-halves in my time playing at Leicester, Celtic and Aston Villa, some of them were very comfortable on the ball like Matty Elliott and some, like Bobo Balde, were not.

"You know, being able to defend first in games is very, very important. That is what I am looking for. So I do not see how Damien could pick up anything else and think I was looking for someone who could caress it all the time because that is not the case."

He added that Delaney would be considered for selection if he changed his stance.
    Just looking back through the thread, but did O'Neill himself ever actually explicitly claim that Delaney had made demands or was that just the twist the media put on it? I think Martin just said they had different ideas of what was wanted, no? Wasn't this what O'Neill originally said?: http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-31062894.html

Quote Originally Posted by Martin O'Neill
    Damien and I have had a conversation. He thought that I was looking for something (else) in a centre-half. That was not the case. So Damien has not given up. But I think Damien is coming to stage where he really wants to concentrate on playing at club level.
    Is there another comment I've missed? Where's the supposed conflict in stories?

And please stop implying it's about egos, as if Martin's being thick or pig-headed about the matter. They haven't had a falling out and it's not a case of bad man-management on Martin's part, like you seem keen to imply. Delaney isn't too bothered to fight for a starting place (that's fine; he's nearing the end of his career and wants to prolong that, especially in light of his previous issues, so good luck to him) and Martin wants to select players who are/have been fully committed, willing to fight and bide their time as back-up if necessary. It's all perfectly reasonable and understandable.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    By the way, Guardian write-up on Delaney by Dominic Fifield from before the FA Cup final: https://www.theguardian.com/football...d-fa-cup-final

Don't think it's been posted already.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,680 Posts
    Personally I think Delaney could be a walking red card at a European finals. Very vulnerable to pace.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    There is another way of reading that, I find it very hard to read your posts DI, too much overload sorry

Martin didn't have to give assurances, correct. But Martin shouldn't be telling a player he isn't going to be his starting CB. Everyone should be treated equally, and everyone has the same chance, if that was said to me at work, then I'd be fcuked off. Words of encouragement should be everyone will get a chance, you will get a chance and its up to you to take that chance, not, you are not going to be my CB or words to that effect.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    There is nothing to suggest O'Neill actually said that to him though, is there? Not even Delaney himself claims that.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Personally I think Delaney could be a walking red card at a European finals. Very vulnerable to pace.
    Thats always a possibility when your Flat out is "Traipsing"

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    "Traipsing" and "Trappsing" are similar conditions which affect a player - both result in the player making himself unavailable due to perceived slights.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    "Traipsing" and "Trappsing" are similar conditions which affect a player - both result in the player making himself unavailable due to perceived slights.
    I think that I may be getting so cryptic that I don't know what I am trying to say myself ! ! !

Perhaps from now on we can say that when a player is not in his Totality, Totally Committed that he is a Shy Traipser !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    In all fairness you could level the exact same accusations at O'Shea, Duffy, Clark and Keogh.

O'Shea in particular has a habit of holding on to players at set-pieces that could be construed as an accident waiting to happen; he gave away a free kick in a dangerous position against Chelsea as soon as he came on for climbing all over Diego Costa - a player Delaney bossed in a personal battle. Clark has a tendency to be rash. Keogh goes to ground too easily and doesn't read the game as well as the others.

Delaney only has 3 yellow cards in 40 games for the season. I don't think his discipline is an issue. O'Shea likewise only has 3 yellow cards + 1 red card, though his form in general has drastically nosedived since the Germany game.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,680 Posts
    Fair points, and O'Shea was dreadful in Warsaw alright. I could counter by holding Delaney to fault for a goal against Turkey but we could go on for hours.

The issue here is not that nobody rates Delaney. On merit he should be in or close to the team. CB isn't a problem area. Delaney's answer above was a skilful politician's answer. It's clear that his ability is not the reason he's not in the squad. I trust O'Neill's judgment. Not a big deal. As Stu says, omitting Westwood would be far worse.

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast