Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Damien Delaney

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I watched the highlights. Delaney wasn't at fault for any of the goals, but Tomkins and Dann most certainly were.

I wonder why some Crystal Palace fans are picking on Delaney and not them? Hmmm......

In fairness, Delaney should never have got involved. I watched another video of the incident and Delaney ran towards the fan and stood his ground while the fan roared abuse at him while hiding behind a steward.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Madness that this man is not in the squad for the Austria match.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    Agree, Damos a good lad

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Didn't Delaney retire from international football? As far as I understand, his absence is self-imposed because he "disagree[d] with certain aspects" of what O'Neill is doing and, therefore, seemingly didn't want to be selected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    The guys who actually want to be there have done fine for the most part and exceptionally well when the stakes have been highest, e.g. Germany, Bosnia & Herzigovina, Italy, Austria, Wales, etc. Who in their right mind would have predicted five clean sheets from those matches?

I think it was CD who said recently that all of our players are going to make mistakes and there are examples of those with Clark against Belgium and Duffy's are starting to accumulate to be fair, but it's not as if Delaney would have fared too much better than what's there overall.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Keogh, Duffy and Clark all have mistakes in them. Clark had a good Thursday by virtue of not being on the pitch yesterday.

I think Keogh and Duffy's foibles show the importance of O'Shea playing Sunday week.

I'd be tempted to just continue with Keogh and O'Shea for continuity's sake, as Duffy might still be rusty.

I can't complain about Delaney's absence after the defensive performances in the aforementioned games.

Though his first season in the Premier League was excellent, so there were understandable complaints at the time.

It looks like he's going to be released this summer anyway.

* were or was?

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    Hardly. They guy had a purple patch of club form and fair play to him but it wasn't anything more than that. He isn't head and shoulders above whats ahead of him, they are broadly comparable, many of our CB options.

Why roll the dice on the spirit and togetherness of this group for a guy who didn't really fancy it ? When the spirit and togetherness are such a huge component of what we are achieving.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    He'd fit in well judging by James McClean's comments.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Keogh, Duffy and Clark all have mistakes in them
    Despite both of us being positive on Randolph I think he could be added to that list too. Richard Dunne was about 53 before we could stop saying that about him.

I heard a joke about the secret to a long marriage being neither party wanting to get divorced at the same time. I think we can live with our defenders all being liable to make a mistake. The real worry is more than one of them making a mistake in the same game.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts

It looks like he's going to be released this summer anyway.

* were or was?
    I assumed he was too, but Sam is tight lipped:
    https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/2...ct-extensions/
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Sam
    “I can’t say anything,” said Palace boss Allardyce. “The chairman has not informed me in that area, so I cannot say publicly that we either have or we haven’t.
    “We will go over that next week in our meeting. You’ll find out after that who will stay and who will be going.”

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Just thinking about it though, is Duffy living a bit of a charmed life in terms of the criticism he's not really receiving, and I include myself in that? It's being pointed out and discussed alright but not really being highlighted as a major worry. If Keogh, McShane or even O'Shea had a string of really poor, basic defensive howlers like he has I think the knives would be out a lot more.

Costly mistakes too, okay the Dutch one was a friendly but it prevented us from winning the match, the France game, the Moldova goal and last night. Quite a list in what, six or seven starts? If it was Egan I suspect we'd be saying he's either not ready or maybe even not cut out for international football.

Highly speculative I know and maybe a tad harsh because he's had very good games too.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Just thinking about it though, is Duffy living a bit of a charmed life in terms of the criticism he's not really receiving, and I include myself in that? It's being pointed out and discussed alright but not really being highlighted as a major worry. If Keogh, McShane or even O'Shea had a string of really poor, basic defensive howlers like he has I think the knives would be out a lot more.

Costly mistakes too, okay the Dutch one was a friendly but it prevented us from winning the match, the France game, the Moldova goal and last night. Quite a list in what, six or seven starts? If it was Egan I suspect we'd be saying he's either not ready or maybe even not cut out for international football.

Highly speculative I know and maybe a tad harsh because he's had very good games too.
    Well, never say never, if St Ledger can get a good pre season and games, who knows it could be a return of the Saint alongside JOSH.

That partnership is a class above what we currently have right now.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Do you still talk to Taylor Swift at all Doc?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    It seems that Frank de Boer's relationship with Delaney was a factor in the former's sacking: http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41229891

Quote Originally Posted by BBC Sport
    Among the reasons for Palace's dissatisfaction were:

• De Boer's apparent diversion from a number of agreements reached when he signed, such as the team's formation.
    • The squad's struggles to adapt to the style of play he tried to implement.
    • Poor feedback on planning, methods and sessions.
    • Atmosphere at the training ground.
    • His use of, and relationship with certain players, such as Damien Delaney, Martin Kelly, Joel Ward, Jairo Riedewald and Lee Chung-yong.
    • A perceived lack of input on transfer activity.
    More on it here: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...-a7941376.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Malyon
    Damien Delaney was not in De Boer’s plans, who wanted him gone, but Parish did not want to sell or release a player who has formed a key part of the dressing room and club in general since being convinced not to retire by Dougie Freedman back in 2012. It created friction.

Martin Kelly was not deemed good enough and reacted badly while Joel Ward was deemed too slow to play at wing-back but failed to adapt to being a central defender. Delaney and Kelly were deemed only to be fringe players by the Dutchman but their displeasure with De Boer’s reign got back to Parish and fellow senior officials – which combined with his somewhat ‘cold’ manner, begin to paint a picture of trouble even very early in De Boer’s reign.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    I have nothing against Delaney but I'd say he hasn't a lot left at Premier league Level .

He has had a good career and came back up the leagues but I am guessing his goose is cooked at this level.

I hope he has a great season , wins player of the year and lifts the premier league trophy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Gareth McAuley is a couple years older and one of the most consistent defenders in the league.

Delaney hasn't done much to warrant dropping from the squad IMO.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Gareth McAuley is a couple years older and one of the most consistent defenders in the league.

Delaney hasn't done much to warrant dropping from the squad IMO.
    I'll have to admit that McAuley is doing great for West Brom and Northern Ireland , so maybe there can still be life in an auld dog .

Tony Pulis is better at organising defences / teams and perhaps getting his teams to help the defence .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    http://www.101greatgoals.com/news/fr...rystal-palace/

De Boer fell out with Delaney, an influential member of the squad, and it may have contributed to him losing the faith of the squad.

I personally had a feeling something happened between them.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Why did you have that feeling?

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Delaney was given a new one year deal right before De Boer was given the job.

I surmised that De Boer didn't figure Delaney was in his plans.

I thought the fact Delaney wasn't making squads, even in the cup, quite strange.

Admittedly, my natural pessimism over the fate of Irish players played a part.

I reckon he could play a part, however small, under Hodgson.

They have a hard set of games coming up. Could conceivably lose their first eight.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast