147 26.68%
Page 1 of 212 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen Ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Stephen Ireland

im not sure if my ears were playin tricks on me but i was in a cab a little while ago and i thought i heard on the radio that stephen ireland was unhappy about not being in the ireland squad v brazil.

anyone hear the same or am i just goin insane in my oldish age?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    He was unhappy quite a few months back to be fair but does not seem to be showing it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cornerflag View Post
    im not sure if my ears were playin tricks on me but i was in a cab a little while ago and i thought i heard on the radio that stephen ireland was unhappy about not being in the ireland squad v brazil.

anyone hear the same or am i just goin insane in my oldish age?
    Any chance you remember what station it was on? Might be something on the station's homepage?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i dunno, maybe i heard wrong. ive been searching online since ive gotten home and found nothing. i see the tickets for the brazil game are goin on sale tomorrow on ticketmaster tho. slightly off topic but it got me a bit excited

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Shock Horror Stephen Ireland is unhappy about something.....in more shocking news we can report a man has been bitten by a dog...and Bill Cosby isn't a real doctor

I don't like Don Givens but he was right in this case, Stephen Ireland made a very public statement about how he didn't want to be considered for international duty due to his various problems, in the last few months he's said nothing publicly to suggest he is ready to resume his international career.....I don't think its up to Givens to approach him and ask if he fancies it, this friendly has been planned for quite some time, If Ireland were so desperate to play in it he should of went to the FAI or whomever and made himself available

Givens may be a lot of things (a limited manager for instance) but one thing he most certainly isn't is psychic
    You show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Givens was a silly with his comments yesterday.

“An awful lot of people would give their right arm to pull on that green shirt. He doesn’t want to.”

"I am not going to drive up to Manchester to be humiliated by someone like that."

"I want commitment from the other side."

“This Association bent over backward for him, the previous manager [Stephen Staunton] flew to Manchester to talk to him, and he turned it down.”

All that's doing is annoying Ireland and he may feel it's not worth it.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Givens should have said less yesterday but really it's the new manager's job to get him back into the fold. It' can be a fresh start for all concerned.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    Givens was a silly with his comments yesterday.

“An awful lot of people would give their right arm to pull on that green shirt. He doesn’t want to.”

"I am not going to drive up to Manchester to be humiliated by someone like that."

"I want commitment from the other side."

“This Association bent over backward for him, the previous manager [Stephen Staunton] flew to Manchester to talk to him, and he turned it down.”

All that's doing is annoying Ireland and he may feel it's not worth it.
    Strongly disagree. Givens has taken the right tack with SI as far as I'm concerned. Enough mollycoddling. If he wants to play then he has to make himself available. Nobody should have to go to him cap in hand every time we've a game.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    Strongly disagree. Givens has taken the right tack with SI as far as I'm concerned. Enough mollycoddling. If he wants to play then he has to make himself available. Nobody should have to go to him cap in hand every time we've a game.
    I've no time for Givens as regards his ability with the U21's, but I think he's spot on in this situation.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    couldnt agree more. enough is enough. why should givens pussyfoot around ireland?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Not much time for Givens either but I agree with his stance. The ball is firmly in Stephen Ireland's court. If he wants back in, he should be making the first moves.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    couldnt agree more. enough is enough. why should givens pussyfoot around ireland?

I agree with your agreement on LR's strong disagreement. Sure, you could argue that, being only a care-taker, he went too far, but I think he's spot on. The ball is in Ireland's court, and he's the one that has to show he wants it.
    Ceci n'est pas une signature

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    In Givens day, the players often paid to play for Ireland such was their committment to the cause. I remember them staying in both the Central Hotel on Exchequor St (spelling wrong) and the Tara Towers and they paid their own room service bills inc phone calls. Phone bills often exceeded the match fee in those days yet nobody retired early from International football, nor pulled out because of fake injurys. While Don is not management quality his atitude iw 100% correct. Remember Stephen IReland still hasnt paid for the chartered plane for his grannies funerals, we have.

That is why we need someone like Brady or McCarthy as new manager, someone that is all about Ireland not someone flash, who really doesnt give a toss.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Again whatever you think about Givens he's brutally honest and trustworthy. "People" have gone out of their way for Stephen Ireland and as the saying goes "once bitten, twice shy". If he wants to play for us, he's going to have to show it. Otherwise let's not waste anymore time on him as it's about the team, not the individual.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Its the journalists who are making the mini sh1tstorm out of nothing.
    Given's stance was quite clear before the Wales game, everything was explained in detail and that it was up to the next manager to deal with it.
    Nothing has changed.
    The next manager has not come in yet, so the fxtwit journalists just can't let it drop. Givens should have told them all to féck off and drop the issue after shoving a microphone down on one those swarmy radio reporters.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    In agreement with the above. It was up to Ireland to make contact and I think he needs a clear message that its up to him to resolve the situation.

He's been pandered to enough and he needs to grow up.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Why aren't the Journos asking Givens how somone with such an abysmall record with the U/21's is
    A. Still managing the u/21's
    B. The chief amigo involved in selecting our new manager
    C. Selecting and picking teams for senior internationals
    D. Involved in so many public disputes with Irish players including saying yesterday that Stephen Ireland does not want to wear the Green shirt. This is the same Givens who does not want to manage the senior team FT(and yet somehow will be managing the senior team 'again' on Feb 6th)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    For once i agree with Givens. If Stephen Ireland doesnt want to play for HIS COUNTRTY then his country dosent want him. Theres only so much you can do, as givens said we need to see a bit of commitment from the other side. The lack of respect he is showing towards Ireland and the fans is disgraceful.
    Marge: Homer, the plant called. They said if you don't show up tomorrow don't bother showing up on Monday.
    Homer: Woo-hoo. Four-day weekend
    -
    Trappattoni+Tardelli+Brady=Holy Trinity of Irish Football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    Why aren't the Journos ...
    Absolutely, but that's an entirely different issue.
    Ceci n'est pas une signature

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    It´s simple, Givens has nothing to do with the dispute with Stephen Ireland. He is not involved, he doesn´t´want to be involved (mercifully).

Page 1 of 212 1231151101 ... LastLast