Page 125 of 212 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126127135175 ... LastLast
Results 2,481 to 2,500 of 4233

Thread: Stephen Ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Didn't he also refuse to play for Brian Kerr a few years back............?
    Correct, it was during an Under-16 game I believe, the team was playing a game in Cobh so Stephen had invited his whole extended family along. Kerr only named Ireland amongst the substitutes, so before the game a very emotional Stephen Ireland confronted Kerr (imagine a 15 year old kid doing that!) saying he felt humiliated by being on the bench. When Kerr reiterated that he was starting from the bench and to just get over it, Ireland asked to leave as he wouldn't be humiliated like that. As he was just a kid, Kerr agreed to let him go and both parties pretended he picked up a late injury so he wasn't embarassed in front of his mammy.

Great to see he's matured a lot since then!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    Jicked, I agree with your earlier post: he is now adding Irish journalists to the list of people he's insulting yet bizarrely they're still sticking up for him.

Time for everyone to turn on him. The guy obviously relishes our supposed desire to have him back. Let's see how he likes it when he realises nobody has anything but contempt for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jicked View Post
    Correct, it was during an Under-16 game I believe, the team was playing a game in Cobh so Stephen had invited his whole extended family along. Kerr only named Ireland amongst the substitutes, so before the game a very emotional Stephen Ireland confronted Kerr (imagine a 15 year old kid doing that!) saying he felt humiliated by being on the bench. When Kerr reiterated that he was starting from the bench and to just get over it, Ireland asked to leave as he wouldn't be humiliated like that. As he was just a kid, Kerr agreed to let him go and both parties pretended he picked up a late injury so he wasn't embarassed in front of his mammy.

Great to see he's matured a lot since then!
    Yes, and when people were grasping around looking for sticks to beat Brian Kerr with, this became another one.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Jicked, I agree with your earlier post: he is now adding Irish journalists to the list of people he's insulting yet bizarrely they're still sticking up for him.

Time for everyone to turn on him. The guy obviously relishes our supposed desire to have him back. Let's see how he likes it when he realises nobody has anything but contempt for him.
    Fairly obvious why they're not turning on him. Stephen Ireland is a main man in the city squad and would have quite a bit of pull. From a column inches point of view that's one of the most fascinating clubs in the world, and will fill up an awful lot of copy over the course of this season. No way editors or gutless journalists will confront SI if it means they'll be cut out of press conferences, a power I'd imagine SI could easily get over irrelevant (to City) Irish hacks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    And so the credits roll, our hero happy with the best decision he has ever made.The ultimate goal of having a stand named after him at Eastlands is now a step closer, yes, a bank of concrete with blue seats......One word...LANGER!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    past the point - of reasoned journalism

'Still, Ireland's words will give credence to critics of the manager who believe that the Italian has never really been that interested in getting the 23-year-old back in the Irish party'

You are already bankrupt if you had to quote Stephen Ireland's world view, to give credence to a belief.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    516 Posts
    i just cant stand the boy.. i'd give my right testicle away to have half his tallent and get the chance to play!! he needs a good kickin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Pity that poll can't be reviewed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jicked View Post
    If we go the World Cup, I demand someone photoshops Stephen in to this pic spending his summer with his grannies.

Alternatively, you could shop his head on to the bloke in this pic, but a warning for
    possible
    NSFW:
    http://bp2.blogger.com/_jHFsYHRLBSM/...man-beach7.jpg

I would happily put either on a flag and bring to SA
    i will go halfs on the flag!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    i will go halfs on the flag!
    Consider this an offer, IF we go to the World Cup, I'll happily Photoshop him in. But only IF.
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Apart from one or two passes I thought he was ****e yesterday, Giggs skinned him at one stage yesterday as well!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    As someone who has been involved in grass roots football for many a year, I'm glad the little turd has finally revealed his stance on all this. He and his ilk are ruining the game of football. He typifies everything that is wrong in the sport. I want my kid to grow up having role models like Given, Kilbane, Keane, Doyle. I certainly don't want this vile little man to represent my country again.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Can this thread just be closed now?
    You show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    It's for the best that the issue has been resolved now.

If we did make it to South Africa - with Stephen Ireland included - I think there may have been a high possibility of "Saipan 2".

The bloke is entitled to do what he wants, but the manner in which he's handled the matter has been bizarre.

At the earlier stages of this laughable saga, I figured Richie Dunne would smooth things over and would influence Ireland to return. Once it was apparent that wasn't happening the chances of a return diminished significantly.

His failure to give a definitive answer for 2 years is just plain odd. Why perpetuate the speculation if you've no intention of returning?

Stephen Ireland needs to acknowledge to himself that HE walked out of his own volition. It was up to him to make himself available again.

Why the need for meetings with Managers?

Ironically enough, it took some arrogance to expect a man of Trapp's experience and standing to not only be expected to meet with this self-exiled player - but to apparently expect Trapp to conduct himself in a manner that was to Stephen Irelands exacting standards of etiquette.

Furthermore, to think this privately was one thing but to then state it in an interview shows a total lack of respect for Trapp.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    Furthermore, it's entirely reasonable for Trapp to ask if it's ok for news that they met to be released to the media. The only arrogance is on Ireland's part, thinking that Trapp may be trying to glorify himself in some way by being seen to bring Ireland back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,334 Posts
    actually, on the point of him leaving the room to answer a phone, I always leave the room to answer my mobile.
    How arrogant am I??
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I often wonder what sort of advice is given to the lad from a PR or agent perspective - i think it's a great shame that he has come out with these comments he makes - i think the Keane's and Killer kilbanes of this world would stage a protest if he was ever re-called , it's a crying shame that someone of his ability will now live in international wilderness for the remainder of his career, i don't think he's very mature individual, and possibly doesn't understand the consequences of what he's publicy said - i really believe this, at the sa me time Citeh wouldn't have any problem with him going down this route if anything they would be delighted, i only wish he was english now and his comments related to the English national team - i wonder how long his career with City would last.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Furthermore, it's entirely reasonable for Trapp to ask if it's ok for news that they met to be released to the media. The only arrogance is on Ireland's part, thinking that Trapp may be trying to glorify himself in some way by being seen to bring Ireland back.
    I suspect he(or he was advised) said that to muddy the waters a little to make
    it look like he is dealing with an unprofessional set up- hoping it distracts from the fact that he just can't be bothered playing for his Country.

People are alot more easy going about these things now. In the eighties his decision would have met with National anger & disgust.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I can't wait for his very public melt down... CAN'T WAIT

He's gonna go all Sol Campbell before the end of the Season... Gauranteed!!
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    No more time should be devoted to the question of Ireland playing for Ireland. His talent may be useful but his attitude stinks and he's a fantasist to boot. A complete twunt, end of story.

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat