Thread: Stephen Ireland

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    The headline could be spun as
    "Most of the fans either don't want Stephen Ireland back or want him to apologize first."

I don't know what way to vote,
    How about a
    No, not even if he apologized on RTE - option
    Same option, but also mentions his love for his dog who is now 2 legged, but can use his tail for balance.
    I'd vote for a - let me back in, I'm sorry and I'll promise to score at least a goal in every game I play.
    I'm undecided - can the dog say "sausages" like the one off of "That's Life"?
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    I thought someone would ask if it was front or the hind legs missing.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    I thought someone would ask if it was front or the hind legs missing.
    Could have a leg remaining at the front and a leg remaining at the back.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    The headline could be spun as
    "Most of the fans either don't want Stephen Ireland back or want him to apologize first."
    Tbh geysir I don't think the american papers would have much interest in a piece about stephen ireland.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    We dont want him.He is more mad than i am and believe me that is Crazy!!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Tbh geysir I don't think the american papers would have much interest in a piece about stephen ireland.

Here we go again. Mr Smarty ass with his usual glorious input!! Hey thought you were to meet me at the match last Thursday man what happened dude?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    He got stoned and he missed it.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Looks more and more likely that Stephen Ireland will not return.

From my reading of Ireland's language since he went on the bounce, it is a consistent story.
    He says he wants to return and play but won't turn up, blaming his own wolf stories, blaming Stan or the players, blaming Given and if we can give any credence to Kerr's deep throat, blaming Liam Brady from the new management team.
    It looks like he gave absolutely no indication to Trap that he will return or that he even wants to.
    Trap, as a good Italian, just mentions his positive feelings that if he changes his mind the door is always open.

Trapattoni
    “I called one week ago (3rd week in May) and I said, ‘Now you know my number’. Now I wait.’ My feeling is that one or two said to me, ‘At the moment no, because I have a problem, but in the future, there is a possibility I will come back’”

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    861 Posts
    For the first time I am begining to believe that he wont come back, I dont think O'Brien will anymore either.Finnan looks like he will, but for the other two to leave international football at such young ages is disgraceful
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Ireland might come back some day(when he's like 28), but yeah Razors left peg, I sort of agree.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    For the first time I am begining to believe that he wont come back, I dont think O'Brien will anymore either.Finnan looks like he will, but for the other two to leave international football at such young ages is disgraceful
    Looks like it Razor and will he say anything about it? NO. At least Finnan has the balls to come out and say well I'll meet him. As for the other 2 especially Ireland the silence says it all.
    With a squad made up of players like Green, McShocking and Kilbad we are going places. Down the gutter.........

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ShamrockIreland View Post
    Looks like it Razor and will he say anything about it? NO. At least Finnan has the balls to come out and say well I'll meet him. As for the other 2 especially Ireland the silence says it all.
    Just wondering how thats balls sure they already met,, i wonder whats more to be dicussed,,

And its only been two weeks if man city sign ronaldinho and jo and the rest hell be looking to play all the games he can,, wait till after footballers hols at least for them to announce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    861 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Manblue View Post
    Just wondering how thats balls sure they already met,, i wonder whats more to be dicussed,,

And its only been two weeks if man city sign ronaldinho and jo and the rest hell be looking to play all the games he can,, wait till after footballers hols at least for them to announce
    Hope you're right

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I still dont understand why he is 'retired' from international football.
    It was HIS decisiion to lie about his grannies while in eastern Europe, it was his decision to walk away from that big game against the Czechs. Then after that we had to accept him not coming back to the squad. Now he still wont give an answer as to whether he will come back or not. I do not see how anyone can have sympathy for the guy. Personally if he retires now i wouldnt want him back into the squad ever again, even if he had a change of heart. Yes he is a talented player but we shouldnt have to put up with this **** from any player. This circus must be a laughing stock to English and Scottish fans

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    861 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carloz View Post
    I still dont understand why he is 'retired' from international football.
    It was HIS decisiion to lie about his grannies while in eastern Europe, it was his decision to walk away from that big game against the Czechs. Then after that we had to accept him not coming back to the squad. Now he still wont give an answer as to whether he will come back or not. I do not see how anyone can have sympathy for the guy. Personally if he retires now i wouldnt want him back into the squad ever again, even if he had a change of heart. Yes he is a talented player but we shouldnt have to put up with this **** from any player. This circus must be a laughing stock to English and Scottish fans
    Thats your opinion, but the majority of fans would like to see him back

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Thats your opinion, but the majority of fans would like to see him back
    So it would appear from this poll. Shameful really, us chasing after a player like Ireland, France didnt chase Cantona and did OK without him. England didnt chase Shearer (well not to this extent). There have been numerous situations like this and in almost all cases the National FA's and fans involved had the dignity and pride to just walk away and carry on. Not us Irish though eh? Nope lets be happy to continue underselling ourselves and bowing to the demands of those who reject us. We are acting like a psycho ex-boyfriend / girlfriend who cant accept we have been dumped and are prepared to change everything about our natural selves in order to stay in a relationship which in the end will only be destructive to us. WAKE UP PEOPLE we can and will do better than this f##king gimp, let him go and look to the future, if we bow to his demands once we will be bowing to kiss his arse for the remainder of his career, forever worried that he may take off in a huff again. No team should ever entertain such a character. He does not want to play for us therefore he should not play for us, it would be better to have a player with half his talent and double or triple his commitment wearing his jersey. Stop letting people **** all over us, as Ciaran Fitzgerald famously said "Where is your fu#king pride"
    Help something bit me!!!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkCut View Post
    So it would appear from this poll. Shameful really, us chasing after a player like Ireland, France didnt chase Cantona and did OK without him. England didnt chase Shearer (well not to this extent). There have been numerous situations like this and in almost all cases the National FA's and fans involved had the dignity and pride to just walk away and carry on. Not us Irish though eh? Nope lets be happy to continue underselling ourselves and bowing to the demands of those who reject us. We are acting like a psycho ex-boyfriend / girlfriend who cant accept we have been dumped and are prepared to change everything about our natural selves in order to stay in a relationship which in the end will only be destructive to us. WAKE UP PEOPLE we can and will do better than this f##king gimp, let him go and look to the future, if we bow to his demands once we will be bowing to kiss his arse for the remainder of his career, forever worried that he may take off in a huff again. No team should ever entertain such a character. He does not want to play for us therefore he should not play for us, it would be better to have a player with half his talent and double or triple his commitment wearing his jersey. Stop letting people **** all over us, as Ciaran Fitzgerald famously said "Where is your fu#king pride"
    yes well, france had deschamps,desailly, djorkaeff,blanc,barthez,thuram.... england had scholes......bla bla bla...u get my point-------

who have we? dunne and keane?!!
    we arnt chasing after the player....just trying to convince him, he is one of our star players. and WE DO NEED HIM.
    i agree, he must be a bit of a nut job, but hes talented. i wonder how Mark Hughes will take to him??
    Last edited by beepbeep; 06/06/2008 at 12:49 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beepbeep View Post
    i wonder how Mark Hughes will take to him??
    I'm one of the guys saying we should take him back (if he wants to come back), but if I were Hughes I'd sell him for 8 million if Roy (or anyone else) bid that amount.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beepbeep View Post
    yes well, france had deschamps,desailly, djorkaeff,blanc,barthez,thuram.... england had scholes......bla bla bla...u get my point-------

who have we? dunne and keane?!!
    we arnt chasing after the player....just trying to convince him, he is one of our star players. and WE DO NEED HIM.
    i agree, he must be a bit of a nut job, but hes talented. i wonder how Mark Hughes will take to him??
    Chasing - Convincing, at the end of the day it is the same thing. We are selling ourselves short and showing an enormous lack of confidence in the players we have to replace him. He is not a "Star" player he is a regular starter with a mid table premiership club, he is being linked with Sunderland not Utd., Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal or even Spurs, Villa or Portsmouth. This is not just because he is young either, each of the top four have had huge success with buying young midfielders or even bringing through their own (Gerrard, Lampard, Carrick, Scholes, Fabregas, Flamini) None of them have shown the remotest interest in him therefore he must not be good enough. Even Garvan was linked with Villa, while James McCarthy is being linked with everyone and their dog!! Steven Reid was linked with Utd which suggests that if he can avoid injury he will be a star. We do not need him or his disruptive influence. I know transfer rumours etc.. dont really count for much but there is no smoke without a fire. As for the players the other countries had at their disposal my point is that they were of the same level of talent as the players who quit, we have players of the same calibre as Ireland. We will never progress if we are afraid to let go of players who dont want to play. This whole situation gives me the sh*ts. Fighting Irish my arse. Fawning Irish more like. We are becoming a joke and as a proud Irishman it hurts.
    Help something bit me!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    861 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkCut View Post
    Chasing - Convincing, at the end of the day it is the same thing. We are selling ourselves short and showing an enormous lack of confidence in the players we have to replace him. He is not a "Star" player he is a regular starter with a mid table premiership club, he is being linked with Sunderland not Utd., Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal or even Spurs, Villa or Portsmouth. This is not just because he is young either, each of the top four have had huge success with buying young midfielders or even bringing through their own (Gerrard, Lampard, Carrick, Scholes, Fabregas, Flamini) None of them have shown the remotest interest in him therefore he must not be good enough. Even Garvan was linked with Villa, while James McCarthy is being linked with everyone and their dog!! Steven Reid was linked with Utd which suggests that if he can avoid injury he will be a star. We do not need him or his disruptive influence. I know transfer rumours etc.. dont really count for much but there is no smoke without a fire. As for the players the other countries had at their disposal my point is that they were of the same level of talent as the players who quit, we have players of the same calibre as Ireland. We will never progress if we are afraid to let go of players who dont want to play. This whole situation gives me the sh*ts. Fighting Irish my arse. Fawning Irish more like. We are becoming a joke and as a proud Irishman it hurts.
    I dont think we have been chasing him all that hard,Trapattoni has met him once to ask him to come back and has now said that the 3 players have his phone number and its up to them to call him if they want to return, I dont think there is anything wrong with that.I also disagree with you that England didnt chase Shearer this hard.There were media campaigns to try to convince Shearer to change his mind, and it was the same with Paul Scholes.
    Bottom line is that while we have some good players in midfield we dont have the same choice as France, England or other big countries so if we are to be sucessful we need as many options as possibly