Page 118 of 212 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120128168 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,360 of 4233

Thread: Stephen Ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Lee Carsley, Dean Kiely,Roy Keane made themselves unavailible for selection at one time or other.... was their a mass walkout of players or a sudden dramatic dip in squad morale when they were brought back in?
    Are we talking about the special case of Stephen Ireland here or just generalising for the heck of it? I think everyone can agree that Stephen Ireland is indeed A Special Case.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Are we talking about the special case of Stephen Ireland here or just generalising for the heck of it? I think everyone can agree that Stephen Ireland is indeed A Special Case.
    why is it more of a special case than Roy Keane?? I never remember anything that divided fans more than that case... and the same arguements were used saying that he could never play with the same players again.There was no problem once he returned
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    why is it more of a special case than Roy Keane?? I never remember anything that divided fans more than that case... and the same arguements were used saying that he could never play with the same players again.There was no problem once he returned
    I'm not going to go there. Sorry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    I'm not going to go there. Sorry.
    I dont wanna get into the Keane thing again either, been done to death too many times.... but my basic point is that if Ireland was brought back I dont go along with the arguement that it would cause problems in the squad... Duff has already come out and said as much.The only squad member who has come out against it is Steven Hunt, and that was probably because he is one of the guys whos place might be under threat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    I dont wanna get into the Keane thing again either, been done to death too many times.... but my basic point is that if Ireland was brought back I dont go along with the arguement that it would cause problems in the squad... Duff has already come out and said as much.The only squad member who has come out against it is Steven Hunt, and that was probably because he is one of the guys whos place might be under threat
    Ok - in the context of the current qualification campaign and the fact that's there only 3 games left, I believe it too much of a "risk" to re-introduce Ireland back into the squad at this point in time. If he wants to play again, the European qualifiers start next year and he can make his availability known.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Den Perry View Post
    I think Ireland is a fantastic player, and would love to see him back. I can understand that if he hates certain players in the squad, he would be reluctant to return (if that is the reason) and wish that muppet Stephen Hunt would shut his mouth(as I 've stated many times before).However, S.I. himself is no angel and really should play for us.

Now, I havn't got the time to look back all your posts Manblue, but do you wish to see him back in the squad, as your post above gives the impression of sneering that he won't be back. If you would rather he stayed away, what would your reasons be?
    To be honest i am in different to his return at this stage, i think he will strenghten our squad, but by very little. As i stated before i dont think traps system suits his style of play and he would not be allowed express himself,, secondly i dont think the majority of fans would understand this an slate him if he doesnt play very well in every game.

This is my personal opinion but when ppl wanted him out of city i argued that his footballing brain was to advanced for the players around him (proved right this year) and im sorry i think the players that would be around him in the irish squad now would be a whole lot worse so that is another reason i dont think he will make that big an impact.

Saying that i would like to see him back.

Would welcome any sensible replies

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Manblue View Post
    To be honest i am in different to his return at this stage, i think he will strenghten our squad, but by very little. As i stated before i dont think traps system suits his style of play and he would not be allowed express himself,, secondly i dont think the majority of fans would understand this an slate him if he doesnt play very well in every game.

This is my personal opinion but when ppl wanted him out of city i argued that his footballing brain was to advanced for the players around him (proved right this year) and im sorry i think the players that would be around him in the irish squad now would be a whole lot worse so that is another reason i dont think he will make that big an impact.

I think players like Robbie Keane, Kevin Doyle, Damien Duff, Aidan McGeady, Steven Reid,John O Shea,Richard Dunne, Steve Finnan are all top class players and have proven to be at International level and are well capable of playing alongside anybody

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    and im sorry i think the players that would be around him in the irish squad now would be a whole lot worse so that is another reason i dont think he will make that big an impact.
    I think S.Reid, Duff, Keane and Doyle would be well capable of playing on Ireland's wavelength, offer the movement and play the passes that he expects. Would really benefit Gibson too to finish of that front 6.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I think players like Robbie Keane, Kevin Doyle, Damien Duff, Aidan McGeady, Steven Reid,John O Shea,Richard Dunne, Steve Finnan are all top class players and have proven to be at International level and are well capable of playing alongside anybody
    Personally i think Mcgeady isnt good enough, reid never plays, duff is borderline at this stage and finnan is well past it, agree with the others although as stated b4 i am not robbies biggest fan, i do acknowledge Gibsons arrival too

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Personally i think Mcgeady isnt good enough, reid never plays, duff is borderline at this stage and finnan is well past it, agree with the others although as stated b4 i am not robbies biggest fan, i do acknowledge Gibsons arrival too
    Duff was class away to Bulgaria as he is whenever he plays for Ireland,McGeadys international performances are improving all the time and he has put in some brilliant displays in this campaign, Reid is injury prone granted and u are probably right about Finnan. I think there are enough quality players within the Irish set up that have excellent football brains so that Ireland would have no trouble integrating into them.... if he could be bothered to try, which I hope he does

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    Football brain? .

Bottom line is that it's a team game, it's not about accommodating the various whims of the individual. Egos don't win matches.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts

Dude seriously... Are you a wind up merchant.. Won't be allowed express himself?? Suit his style of Play?? Majority of fans wouldn't understand him?? The other players aren't good enough??

Will we get the players to lie down shoulder to shoulder and form a line on the gravel en route to the pitch so he doesn't scuff his boots while we're at it???

All here on this thread discussing the impact Irelands return would have on the squad, and you come on and twist it into his return and the impact on him... I'm surprised you didn't use capital H's for your he's and hims...

You ask for a sensible response yet your post is far from objective..
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    Dude seriously... Are you a wind up merchant.. Won't be allowed express himself?? Suit his style of Play?? Majority of fans wouldn't understand him?? The other players aren't good enough??

Will we get the players to lie down shoulder to shoulder and form a line on the gravel en route to the pitch so he doesn't scuff his boots while we're at it???

All here on this thread discussing the impact Irelands return would have on the squad, and you come on and twist it into his return and the impact on him... I'm surprised you didn't use capital H's for your he's and hims...

Oh, he's right, Robbie Keane or Kevin Doyle wouldn't have enough "footballing brain" to "understand" Stephen Ireland or read his game the way CRAIG BELLAMY would !!! Comical

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    Bellamy?
    We need more research into the phenomenon of the football brain.
    That small compartment has some sort of home rule status.

I don't think Trap would bother his backside expending energy keeping the doors open for SI if he didn't think he could be of use to the game he wants us to play.
    Could be just diplomacy, but I don't think so.
    All hypothetical of course (does need repeating).
    He would still have the two holding midfielders (he will take that template to his grave)
    and could use only one of Duff/McGeady/Hunt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Football brain? .
    That's a well used term, or am I missing something? It's probably the most important part of a footballer is their game intelligence.

Ferguson on Giggs:
    "What he has got, and what you cannot possibly coach, is a marvellous football brain. He has had that since he was 14 years of age. He is able to sense the speed of a game, the openings in matches. There has been none better at that."

Wenger on Fabregas:
    "He came here as a boy of 16 but early on his football brain allowed him to play at the top level and I believe that always when you are in the class of the best they pull you up there.

David Fairclough on Dalglish:
    "With his football brain and ability to score goals out of nothing, Dalglish became the main man of the Liverpool sides throughout the late '70s and '80s."

Ronnie Moran on Dalglish:
    "Kenny wasn't the quickest of movers but he was 20 yards quicker than anybody else with his football brain and he would be in position before any defender knew what was happening."

Ian St John on Dalglish:
    "Kenny just had the football brain. He was born with it and you can't give that to people."

etc, etc, etc.

btw, I fully agree with what Manblue is saying but also think he is harsh on our players. In a poor team S.Ireland would not be a great player. It can take top players to make simple passes look good. The 1-2 being the most obvious example. We can't just train our players to read a 1-2 with Ireland that will open up a defence. They have to be on his "wavelength" and I believe most of our attackers are anyway.
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 29/07/2009 at 10:03 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post

I was asked for my reasons and thoughts on his return, sorry if you dont like my reply and my opening line was that i dont think it would have that big an impact on team performance and results which is all i care about not the other players views.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Just ran that through the translator.

Poor Stevie is too good for Ireland. However he will only strengthen us a bit because our crap tactics don't play to his strengths.
    He'll cry about this fact.
    Fans might not kiss his arse if he doesn't play well (although this would be because our crap team isn't good enough for poor Stevie, making it all terribly unfair).
    ...but he should be able to come back anyway.

Do you even support our team?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    The conjecture and speculation of these 118 pages (and counting) only serve to illustrate that there is one person can resolve this issue definitively - Stephen Ireland.

This farce has dragged on for far too long - this bloke needs a deadline. Commit or f*ck off - simple as.

We need 100% focus on the qualifying games and this media circus around Stephen Ireland's proposed return needs to be resolved one way or the other before the Cyprus games edges any nearer.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    In fairness to him he more or less cleared it up a few weeks ago with a "not for the forseable future but never say never" or something like it, quote. That's closed it out for me,,,

Doesn't excuse the rusbbish carry on of himself over the last couple of years, or his media loving Da, or the blind defenders on here.... But it closes it out somewhat....
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    We knew it already as Manblue told us but Ireland won't be in the squad tomorrow. The players know the full squad and he wasn't named. So let's hope we can have the thread on the match squad tomorrow without every talking about S.Ireland.