Results 1,441 to 1,460 of 4233

Thread: Stephen Ireland

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    He's an average player in a poor Man City side, he's an overhyped genius for Ireland. He scored a good goal against Hull lately that everyone saw, so fans get all misty-eyed about wanting him back.

The way he behaved in order to desert the country at a critical time in the qualification process was unforgivable. The only bit he's sorry about, is that he got found out about it, three times.

At the moment, we've got one of the best managers in the business, getting us results, and are doing fine in the WC group. We're playing Bulgaria and Italy soon. Leave him to mid-table battles against Fulham and Bolton.
    Ya your right Dunne, robinho, swp richards, petrov are all very poor players and unproven in the premiership, (not)
    zabaleta and kompany look like very good players aswell,
    just because there not performing at the moment doesnt make it a poor side and to say he is average after outshinning all those is ridiculous,

That was actually his second good goal against hull, also scored good goals against Arsenal and Liverpool,

your entitled to your opinion about him coming back but to say he is average in a poor side is a bad diagnosis in my opinion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He's an average player in a poor Man City side, he's an overhyped genius for Ireland. He scored a good goal against Hull lately that everyone saw, so fans get all misty-eyed about wanting him back.
    7 Goals and 6 Assists this season is a particularly good return. Hardly what you'd call "Average". And even if he was playing in a poor team (which I don;t think he is) it's kinda irrelevant as it's the teams that he's playing against that is more important.

Agree with your other points though.
    Last edited by BaZmO*; 09/01/2009 at 1:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    If something was worked out, and thats a big if, you'd be left with a the likes of this to pick from going forward:

Robbie, Doyler, Duff, McGeddy, Andy Reid, Ireland, Hunt, Keogh

and behind them any two of

Steve Reid, Whelan, Gibson, Andrews,

Obviously a lot of that is hypotethical, but I'd wonder whether Trap would tweak things a little going forward?
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

The way he behaved in order to desert the country at a critical time in the qualification process was unforgivable. The only bit he's sorry about, is that he got found out about it, three times.

At the moment, we've got one of the best managers in the business, getting us results, and are doing fine in the WC group. We're playing Bulgaria and Italy soon. Leave him to mid-table battles against Fulham and Bolton.
    On a poll on the football 365 forum last week, he was voted the player of the year from mainly English football fans. he finished just ahead of ashley young. To say he is average is fairly ****ing ridicioulous. If you disagree that he is player of the year this season, you can in no way dispute that he is in the top 5 players in the premiership this season. All this in a struggling Man city fan. I disagree with the whole turmoil over his granny and reluctence to come back, but i wont let that cloud my opinion of him on the football pitch for Man City. He has been immense this season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Manblue
    Ya your right Dunne, robinho, swp richards, petrov are all very poor players and unproven in the premiership, (not)
    zabaleta and kompany look like very good players aswell
    I never focused on anyone of those players.

I watched City's game at Blackburn there the other week. Stephen Ireland was largely anonymous imo. Robinho set up their first goal and scored the equaliser. Allied to other results, City recently lost at home to Everton and were walloped by Nottingham Forest. They're a side going nowhere really, and the boss may well be sacked either before or by the end of the season.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I never focused on anyone of those players.

I watched City's game at Blackburn there the other week. Stephen Ireland was largely anonymous imo. Robinho set up their first goal and scored the equaliser. Allied to other results, City recently lost at home to Everton and were walloped by Nottingham Forest. They're a side going nowhere really, and the boss may well be sacked either before or by the end of the season.
    I know you didnt thats why i brought them to your attention, how can you say there a poor side with that many good players in there squad, just because there being badly managed is no fault of stephens or the team, Stephen didnt play against forest and actually got voted man of match by fans on city site after everton game, but that is neither here nor there,
    I still think too say hes average is quite an understatement

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Trap "Stephen, do you want to play for us?"
    Stephen "Not right now, I have to get my situation sorted out first but I definitely want to play in future".
    Trap "Okay, then you just let me know when you are ready to come back into the squad,
    it's no use me naming you in the squad when are not ready"
    Stephen, "That´s fine, I´ll phone the FAI when I´m ready".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carloz View Post
    On a poll on the football 365 forum last week, he was voted the player of the year from mainly English football fans. he finished just ahead of ashley young. To say he is average is fairly ****ing ridicioulous. If you disagree that he is player of the year this season, you can in no way dispute that he is in the top 5 players in the premiership this season. All this in a struggling Man city fan. I disagree with the whole turmoil over his granny and reluctence to come back, but i wont let that cloud my opinion of him on the football pitch for Man City. He has been immense this season
    Very off topic, there's no doubt he's been good this season, but I reckon Xabi Alonso has been the player of the season so far, he's been exceptional.
    Anyway its not headcases fault Hughes can't sort the team out, Ireland is playing well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I thought I'd detected a general thawing in his stance recently. Articles like those planted by his father in the Examiner are hardly reckless journalism.
    That interview/chat was Stephen's father was actually given to the "Star on Sunday". That's why I wouldn't write the Star's story off so quickly. The fact the journalist for the Star was actually on the phone to Stephen, in the company of his father, gives me some reason to actually believe what they're reporting.

The FAI obviously got a load of enquiries so journalists obviously think there's something to this story as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    Very off topic, there's no doubt he's been good this season, but I reckon Xabi Alonso has been the player of the season so far, he's been exceptional.
    Anyway its not headcases fault Hughes can't sort the team out, Ireland is playing well.
    It was in response to somebody saying he has been average this year so in that element it was on topic. Incidently Alonso came third in the poll

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    The majority on here appear to be supportive of SI's return on the basis that he is playing well for his club and is getting a lot of publicity and recognition for his performances and that at the time of his indescretions he was a young lad etc.etc.etc.

A couple of thoughts:

- Darron Gibson is a younger lad than SI. Had Gibson conducted himself like SI did, would people be clamouring for his return? I doubt it.

- SI's must see his club and national team captain Richard Dunne almost every day. There has been no indication to date that SI has ever approached Dunny to discuss anything including retuning to play for Ireland. Surely if SI was offering the olive branch and making himself available, then he had a ready made, publicity free avenue to make his feelings known.

I hope Trap sticks to his view and waits for SI to make the approach. Even if SI does come forward, Trap should not start him against Georgia to test his resolve.

SI is a talented footballer but no matter how good he is and no matter how desperate we are, he is not and cannot be allowed to be bigger than the team.
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...059653477.html

Ireland and Kaka as a central midfield.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    the title of the thread is Stephen Ireland. how on earth was that post off topic??

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    The Guardian have posted this graphic detailing Manchester City's proposed formation -vs- Newcastle on the 28th Jan:

Interesting times for Ireland (and Dunne I guess) if the Kaka deal goes through.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Trap "Stephen, do you want to play for us?"
    Stephen "Not right now, I have to get my situation sorted out first but I definitely want to play in future".
    Trap "Okay, then you just let me know when you are ready to come back into the squad,
    it's no use me naming you in the squad when are not ready"
    Stephen, "That´s fine, I´ll phone the FAI when I´m ready".

At the end of the day we could really do with him in the team, but if not we keep going with the players we have. I hope Irelands in the team soon though. He's class

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Well if that is your attitude I am sure you would not be no big loss if you did not turn up.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Do we expect a lot of booing for Ireland if he plays - like the Roy Keane-Romania farce in 2004?
    Last edited by Supreme feet; 17/01/2009 at 12:43 AM. Reason: dodgy syntax

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Supreme feet View Post
    Do we expect a lot of booing for Ireland if he plays - like the Roy Keane-Romania farce in 2004?
    How much? for your ticket that is...........you did say you were selling didn't you?
    "Can I have a Kit-Kat, chunky?"

"you mean a big one"

"No a normal kit-kat you fat bitch"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbod View Post
    How much? for your ticket that is...........you did say you were selling didn't you?
    On further consideration, I wouldn't miss a game just because of the odd few booing our own players. It won't last longer than ten minutes anyway, if Iceland '97 and Romania '04 are anything to go by. If Ireland comes back, I'll applaud him - even while harbouring private misgivings about his attitude in the past. Lets just say he has a lot to prove - but if the team benefits, then I won't complain.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    the title of the thread is Stephen Ireland. how on earth was that post off topic??
    I was talking about my own post (the thread is about Stephen Ireland's return to the National team - and my post didn't really have anything to do with the topic at hand.