Page 196 of 212 FirstFirst ... 96146186194195196197198206 ... LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,920 of 4233

Thread: Stephen Ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by back of the net View Post
    How does it beat having Whelan in the squad considering they play different positions to him?
    You're reading in to things too much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Imagine having Reid, Hoolahan and Ireland in the same squad!

It sure beats Whelan, Rowlands and Miller!
    when was the last time Whelan, Rowlands and Miller were in the same squad?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    when was the last time Whelan, Rowlands and Miller were in the same squad?
    Oh probably in 2009 some time ......

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Was it the dead rubber game against Montenegro, Rowlands got seriously injured?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Was it the dead rubber game against Montenegro, Rowlands got seriously injured?
    Yes. Only played a couple more matches at Championship level after that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Oh probably in 2009 some time ......
    checked it out, they never played in the same team together, but they were in the same squad for the Italy and Montenegro double header in 2009.
    Miller missed out on the Italy game, and Whelan was suspended for the Montenegro game
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Stephen Ireland says he wants to play for Ireland in the Euro 2016 qualifying campaign but only after he sorts out his long-term future - the contract he signed at Stoke this month expires at the end of the season. Martin O'Neill may not be willing to wait that long and the intimation is that if O'Neill asks/selects Ireland to be in the squad for the Serbia game or the May friendlies and Ireland declines, then O'Neill may not pursue him any further.

Sunday Times

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Stephen Ireland says he wants to play for Ireland in the Euro 2016 qualifying campaign but only after he sorts out his long-term future - the contract he signed at Stoke this month expires at the end of the season. Martin O'Neill may not be willing to wait that long and the intimation is that if O'Neill asks/selects Ireland to be in the squad for the Serbia game or the May friendlies and Ireland declines, then O'Neill may not pursue him any further.

Sunday Times

Is this piece from todays times? - If so it is another re-hash of a story that has been circulating not long after O'Neills appointment as Republic Boss.

Ireland signed a permanent deal with Stoke 2 weeks ago - and although Stoke have not released his permanent contract length, Ireland's future is now sorted so he has no more excuses - if O'Neill calls him up and Ireland is serious about returning to the international fold then he must accept O'Neill's call up otherwise he can F""K right off .....Time to put up or shut up Stephen!!
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Does that mean Ireland only got a permanent contract to the end of the season? A stroke of sorts to allow Stoke to get another loan signing?
    Sounds like another typical Stephen Irelandism, my granny, my other granny, my alleged shark tank, nasty Irish players pulled my hair and stole my comb, disrespectful Trap with 3 mobiles on the go, thanks Noel for asking but I'll wait until Ireland have a permanent manager. Just when you thought you were already all strung out, now we have .......... drum roll ....... the "contract" needs to be sorted out
    If you thought for a second that he wasn't spoofing this time, just consider what every other sensible out of contract player would be doing, begging the irish manager for a bit of game time to show off just how valued they are, but Stephen Ireland thinks it would be lowering or complicate his selling factor if he was in our squad.
    Last edited by geysir; 26/01/2014 at 9:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Is this piece from todays times? - If so it is another re-hash of a story that has been circulating not long after O'Neills appointment as Republic Boss.

Ireland signed a permanent deal with Stoke 2 weeks ago - and although Stoke have not released his permanent contract length, Ireland's future is now sorted so he has no more excuses - if O'Neill calls him up and Ireland is serious about returning to the international fold then he must accept O'Neill's call up otherwise he can F""K right off .....Time to put up or shut up Stephen!!
    Ireland's contract runs out at the end of the season. To bring in another player/s on loan, Stoke had to sign Ireland "permanently". He still hasn't sorted his long-term future out so I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

I was never one to froth at the mouth about Ireland's behaviour. 21 years old and already a father to two children, a miscarriage, naivete, psychological problems and a media uproar; it's a toxic mix. You need to look at these things with perspective. What he did was childish, infuriating and stupid but he was essentially still a child.

He was clearly willing to come back a number of years ago anyways but we had an "eccentric" old codger in charge who was, perhaps, not the ideal person to man-manage such a delicate individual.

Martin O'Neill, by all accounts, comes across as a father figure to his charges.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Ireland's contract runs out at the end of the season. To bring in another player/s on loan, Stoke had to sign Ireland "permanently". He still hasn't sorted his long-term future out so I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

I was never one to froth at the mouth about Ireland's behaviour. 21 years old and already a father to two children, a miscarriage, naivete, psychological problems and a media uproar; it's a toxic mix. You need to look at these things with perspective. What he did was childish, infuriating and stupid but he was essentially still a child.

He was clearly willing to come back a number of years ago anyways but we had an "eccentric" old codger in charge who was, perhaps, not the ideal person to man-manage such a delicate individual.

Martin O'Neill, by all accounts, comes across as a father figure to his charges.

Where is your source from saying that his deal is only permanent until the end of the season? Not disputing you - but i havent seen that announced or mentioned.

I completely agree with you on looking at his actions when he was younger with perspective when he was younger - he did endure some tough times

The years have passed now and he has seemed content to play mind games with the FAI and irish managers on whether , he will/will not return to the intl fold - he is 27 now and "should be" entering the peak of his career - not still acting childish because he is no longer a young /childish footballer.

He has gotten yet "another" chance, this time with a club manager who believes in him and hopefully from their successful time at Man City together will be somewhat replicated at stoke.

The Euros start in September - Stephen needs to make a decision on his Intl return by the serbia game - he has no more excuses - I personally would love him back but he needs to accept that he cant keep fobbing off the Intl managers with excuses and sporadic nonsensical comments to the media
    Last edited by back of the net; 26/01/2014 at 9:51 PM.
    My Country is My Club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Where is your source from saying that his deal is only permanent until the end of the season? Not disputing you - but i havent seen that announced or mentioned.

The years have passed now and he has seems content to play mind games with the FAI and irish managers on whether , he will/will not return to the intl fold - he is 27 now and "should be" entering the peak of his career - not still acting childish because he is no longer a young /childish footballer.

He has gotten yet "another" chance, this time with a club manager who believes in him and hopefully from their successful time at Man City together will be somewhat replicated at stoke.

The Euros start in September - Stephen needs to make a decision on his Intl return by the serbia game - he has no more excuses - I personally would love him back but he needs to accept that he cant keep fobbing off the Intl managers with excuses and sporadic nonsensical comments to the media
    He said it himself in an interview with Paul Rowan. It's in the Sunday Times today.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Without wishing to seem like I am picking at your every contribution on here TWOK, I cannot recall him ever being clear in that respect. I can recall him being evasive and casual in his replies to the point of disrespect to the national shirt any number of times though.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    "Arrogant Trapattoni " interview :

Ireland says:

""Me and my financial adviser, who's looked after me all my life and is someone I really trust, sat down with Trapattoni, his right-hand man and Liam Brady.

"In the middle of chatting, like we are now, he'd have four different phones going off and he kept leaving the room to talk to people."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But what made me laugh is that Ireland was his following quotes in the same interview:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I got called up to the full squad under Brian Kerr, then we had a massive fall-out. I stayed away for two or three years, which was a blessing in disguise.

"Then Steve Staunton called me up, and I'd just broken into the City team, so I felt I had to go. But after two or three squads I was thinking 'what am I doing here?'.

"There were times I'd finish a game with City at 8pm, then I was meant to meet up with the Ireland squad at 10pm in Dublin.

"I'd just ring up and say I don't feel well. There was nothing wrong with me, I just had no intention of ever going.."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    His last line smacks of arrogance - hypocrisy of him calling trap arrogant

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway - despite his obvious self delusions - I hope he gets called up in march and stoke works out for him.

Such a shame if he cant reclaim some of the massive potential he had both for club and country - but as said before he needs to "shut up or put up"
    My Country is My Club.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    TOWK overlooks a history of undisputed commitment and loyalty when he negatively interprets an ambiguous quote by Robbie Keane explaining what he'd do if no longer selected.

Days later he overlooks a history of disregard, disrespect and the absolute antithesis of commitment, and interprets positively a quote from Stephen Ireland that only with a very generous interpretation could be considered anything but unambiguously negative.

I think we're starting to narrow things down. TOWK is from Cork, very possibly Cobh

Anyway, I share back of the net's sentiment in his last 2 sentences above.

17. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I wouldn't go so far as having sentiments/emotions such as hope and regret.
    If he sorts himself out and makes himself available unconditionally, then fine I can accept that, if he doesn't, then it's to his shame and to his regret, just as it has been all along. The same amount of culpability in the matter should extend to O'Neill as to all our previous managers who had to deal with him, none.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I fairly interpret Robbie Keane's comments. If he said that he would knuckle down and fight for his place like everyone else instead of "walking away" then I would have positively interpreted his comments.

I take people's points on Ireland, though I would still have him back in a heartbeat after watching Andrews, Whelan, Miller, Rowlands and Green graft over the last 5 years. We need a touch of class to compliment endeavour.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I read his permanent Stoke contract was for 18 Months??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts

I take people's points on Ireland, though I would still have him back in a heartbeat after watching Andrews, Whelan, Miller, Rowlands and Green graft over the last 5 years. We need a touch of class to compliment endeavour.
    IMO - Trap never should have called up /kept faith in Miller

But.....

Rowlands hasnt played enough for Ireland to make that kind of comment surely? He was very good for QPR for quite a few seasons pre his injury against Montengro in 2009. He scored alot of goals from midfield and deserved his chance with Ireland.

Andrews has been great for Ireland and proved himself on the international stage - so I strongly disagree with your comment on him.

And Paul Green is another player who has done his job very well for Ireland when he has been asked - and the criticism he gets .... is bullsh*t and unfair.
    Green can do a job for us that stephen Ireland cannot nor will ever do
    My Country is My Club.

22. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I agree, though I think TOWK was trying to say some craft was needed to complement the graft of the others rather than us only having grafters in midfield. I think Miller had a bit of craft in him but he was frighteningly lightweight.

24. Thanks From: