Page 131 of 212 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133141181 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,620 of 4233

Thread: Stephen Ireland

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Doesn't tell us anything that we dont already know. Ireland is an immature, mixed up egotist who makes it up as he goes along. Whilst Trappatoni is aloof, arrogant and is seemingly devoid of diplomatic acumen. The fact that Ireland was willing to meet indicates that at some level he was interested (what he says now is predictable but unconvincing) but the meeting sounds like a disatrously inept initiative. I am making no apologies for Ireland but to lose one gifted player may be termed misfortune, to lose two (Andy Reid) is beginning to look like crass carelessness.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Read the article. Stephen faked injuries (and dead family members) to avoid travelling to Ireland games. Whatever you think about Andy Reid (and I don't believe Trap has handled it perfectly, although I agree with his judgment) this is totally different, and to put 0.00001% of the blame on anyone other than the True Blue himself absolutely screams of delusion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    If Ireland is being truthful about the handling of the interview, it was unprofessional of Trap to leave the room multiple times during their meeting to answer his phone.

That being said, Ireland sounds like a nutcase from his quotations, and even if he did return, you'd have to doubt his willingness to stick around for an entire campaign and give his all to the cause.

I was a big advocate for bringing him back at one point, but now I don't think he should be pursued.

If he matures down the road and makes the first approach, then you never say never, but for now you'd have to close the door.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    It does raise an interesting question though. Are there any other members of the current squad that feel that way about playing for Ireland I wonder?. He's right about international football not having the allure that it once had and this is very sad.

Hopefully when the recession really hits football and the top players are forced to take massive wage cuts we might see less arseholes like him around.
    I

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    I'm not sure about players in the squad, but let's look at the players in our starting XI that seem to really love playing for Ireland:

Given: loves playing so much he hardly is willing to let any other keepers get a match in friendlies!
    Kilbane: Would die for the shirt.
    Dunne: Clearly dedicated to the cause and gives his all.
    St. Ledger: Was always mentioning his desire to play for Ireland prior to being capped, and dismissed rumours that he would play for the North due to his early exclusions from Trap's squads.
    O'Shea: He put himself through that horrible boards.ie interview, so you know he's dedicated to the cause!
    Duff: Stayed around to play in the friendly against South Africa even though Trap said he could go home.
    McGeady: Gets booed all over Scotland because of his decision to play for us.
    Keane: Gives his all, and has scored some very important goals for us in this campaign at key moments.
    Doyle: Clearly works very hard for the cause (as he does for any team he plays for).

Hard to say beyond that as I don't want to go through every player, but while our team lacks in quality in certain areas, I wouldn't say we lack commitment to the cause. I think the players are also appreciating and wanting to play for Trapattoni for the most part as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    I seem to remember in another interview Ireland did that he remarked about some other squad members feeling the same way, but i would agree with all of the above. Lets hope it stays like that for the future and little Stevie is only an exception.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shaneker View Post
    Read the article. Stephen faked injuries (and dead family members) to avoid travelling to Ireland games. Whatever you think about Andy Reid (and I don't believe Trap has handled it perfectly, although I agree with his judgment) this is totally different, and to put 0.00001% of the blame on anyone other than the True Blue himself absolutely screams of delusion.
    Exactly. He expects one of the most successful managers in world football, a true legend of the game and someone who had many of the greats of the modern era playing under him - Platini, Boniek, Batistuta, Matthaus to name just a few, should be chasing the likes of an inbred, village idiot, muck savage from Cobh to play for him who's most notable achievement in football thus far is that he was one of a half dozen players nominated for young player of the year but ultimately lost out to Ashley Young of all people. What a deluded idiot.

How would he have time to play for Ireland anyway as he was probably too busy customising 300K Bentleys into chavmobiles.
    Last edited by youngirish; 07/10/2009 at 12:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    If the missus is anything like him she'll probably want to get rid of it after a month and he'll be left stuck with it or have to undo all the chav modifications to sell it.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shaneker View Post
    [I]Link [URL]"I got called up to the full squad under Brian Kerr, then we had a massive fall-out. I stayed away for two or three years, which was a blessing in disguise.

"Then Steve Staunton called me up, and I'd just broken into the City team, so I felt I had to go. But after two or three squads I was thinking 'what am I doing here?'..
    Don't remember him being called up to the full squad under Kerr??

Why does he feel the need to keep rabbiting on about it? (I'm talking to you Manblue)...

And why have a message embroidered into the upholstry of the Car? Surely better placed in a card rather than rub it in you're partners face that you are considerable richer and she's only in such a car at his Grace..

Why??

Cos he's a sap that's the why...
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by as_i_say View Post
    If the missus is anything like him she'll probably want to get rid of it after a month and he'll be left stuck with it or have to undo all the chav modifications to sell it.
    if his missus is anything like him, she'll claim the car she's had since she was 16 means more to her than this new car, that the few times she's driven it was a draining experience, come up with a spurious excuse to stop driving it, but mention it every now and again so he thinks she might start driving it again
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    it was in the U17s, just before Kerr was appointed senior manager. They were playing in Cork, and Kerr had promised Ireland a starting place, then told him on the day of the game that he would be a sub. Ireland's friends and family were in the crowd, and he lost the rag with Kerr. According to an article in the weekend's Indo it happened in the hotel they were staying in, although I had heard before it was in the dressing room. Ireland said he was going back to Manchester, and Kerr told him he would never play for Ireland while he was in charge.

Kerr did mention Stephen Ireland in a press conference before the loss against Italy, but he never called him into the senior squad.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    He didn't, it was an underage squad and Kerr didn't play him in a game held in Cork where all his family were there. He said he'd never play for Kerr again after that and that was before Kerr got the senior job.

The article's full of mistakes anyway, '"There were times I'd finish a game with City at 8pm, then I was meant to meet up with the Ireland squad at 10pm in Dublin." So he was finishing a game in Manchester at 8, showering and getting changed and then flying to Dublin to be there for 10? Must've been flying with Superman rather then bothering with getting to the airport, checking in and getting on a plane to manage that......

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    I'm not sure about players in the squad, but let's look at the players in our starting XI that seem to really love playing for Ireland:

Given: loves playing so much he hardly is willing to let any other keepers get a match in friendlies!
    Kilbane: Would die for the shirt.
    Dunne: Clearly dedicated to the cause and gives his all.
    St. Ledger: Was always mentioning his desire to play for Ireland prior to being capped, and dismissed rumours that he would play for the North due to his early exclusions from Trap's squads.
    O'Shea: He put himself through that horrible boards.ie interview, so you know he's dedicated to the cause!
    Duff: Stayed around to play in the friendly against South Africa even though Trap said he could go home.
    McGeady: Gets booed all over Scotland because of his decision to play for us.
    Keane: Gives his all, and has scored some very important goals for us in this campaign at key moments.
    Doyle: Clearly works very hard for the cause (as he does for any team he plays for).

Hard to say beyond that as I don't want to go through every player, but while our team lacks in quality in certain areas, I wouldn't say we lack commitment to the cause. I think the players are also appreciating and wanting to play for Trapattoni for the most part as well.
    True, I do think those players are very dedicated, the only current player who jumps to mind right now as a player who sees it as a bit of a chore is Finnan. Finnan has a lot more class than this muppet to be fair to him and I'm glad he returned but I don't think he has really enjoyed internationals in a long time and some of his withdrawals from the squad in the past have being a tad dodgey to say the least.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    If Ireland is being truthful about the handling of the interview, it was unprofessional of Trap to leave the room multiple times during their meeting to answer his phone.
    What reason could anyone possibly have for believing Ireland on that point? He's a liar and a fantasist. Let's not forget that Stephen denied that the meeting ever took place several times! If only Irish journalists weren't so spineless and would read him back a list of his quotations/lies.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It's like he's boasting how great he is because he's privileged enough to turn down the opportunity to play for his country. "A lot of the lads here at City didn't think I'd stand by my decision not to play for Ireland and I was like 'told you so'."
    Wonder If he'd be doing the same thing If he wasn't as talented as he is.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    If Wolves play Man City, Big Mick should pick himself for a couple of minutes and "Tackle MR Chav ROBUSTLY"

That would shut mr chav up once and for all.

If a footballer was behaving like mr chav 25/30 years ago. His fellow profesionals would have sorted him out.
    He would not be taking the p**s in the week before international matches like he is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    He didn't, it was an underage squad and Kerr didn't play him in a game held in Cork where all his family were there. He said he'd never play for Kerr again after that and that was before Kerr got the senior job.

The article's full of mistakes anyway, '"There were times I'd finish a game with City at 8pm, then I was meant to meet up with the Ireland squad at 10pm in Dublin." So he was finishing a game in Manchester at 8, showering and getting changed and then flying to Dublin to be there for 10? Must've been flying with Superman rather then bothering with getting to the airport, checking in and getting on a plane to manage that......
    Also, what games finish at 8pm? I don't know of any City games starting at 6pm for this to happen.
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jicked View Post
    What reason could anyone possibly have for believing Ireland on that point? He's a liar and a fantasist. Let's not forget that Stephen denied that the meeting ever took place several times! If only Irish journalists weren't so spineless and would read him back a list of his quotations/lies.
    A footballer has the right not to be interested in representing his country. It is unusual but precedent allows that to be explained and understood as being a Cork/Cobh thing. It is the persistent lies down through the years and the chronic blame deflection, that totally strips any standard of integrity about the decision and from the person involved.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    A footballer has the right not to be interested in representing his country. It is unusual but precedent allows that to be explained and understood as being a Cork/Cobh thing. It is the persistent lies down through the years and the chronic blame deflection, that totally strips any standard of integrity about the decision and from the person involved.
    Yeah no dead granny's and no TV License either. He can't play for us until he has either !!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Why does he feel the need to keep rabbiting on about it? (I'm talking to you Manblue)...

And why have a message embroidered into the upholstry of the Car? Surely better placed in a card rather than rub it in you're partners face that you are considerable richer and she's only in such a car at his Grace..

Why??

Cos he's a sap that's the why...

Was that a question or just a rant?

and this isnt a new interview just for those who said he brought it up again just before game its extended version of previous clearly,