Results 2,141 to 2,160 of 4233

Thread: Stephen Ireland

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I don't agree with either of ye. Why does anybody care what fellow supporters wear? "You're not dressed in green so you can't be a real fan", who cares, to each their own. Also if someone wants to dress as a Leprechaun how bad, it's just a laugh. Maybe you're just a bit insecure about how the world see's us Qwerty, lighten up.
    I'm not in the least insecure about how the world sees Ireland, I've abroad for 10 years and I know everyone thinks we 're just great.

No, my objection perhaps is self-respect, to each his own but you wouldn't catch me at a football game in one. Nothing says class like a drunken leprechaun

However I'll bet that whatever company started pushing these costumes probably isn't even based in Ireland. Anyhow. Whatever.

I do envy the Swedes those viking helmets though ...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    I do envy the Swedes those viking helmets though ...
    Is that not the Norwegians?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    Is that not the Norwegians?
    Has to be the Danes
    Always look on the bright side of life

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cornerflag View Post
    im not sure if my ears were playin tricks on me but i was in a cab a little while ago and i thought i heard on the radio that stephen ireland was unhappy about not being in the ireland squad v brazil.

anyone hear the same or am i just goin insane in my oldish age?
    If I hear that name one more time. Honestly next People will be saying he's thinking of running for president or he has got a big Part in the next Star Wars movie. Come on if Stephen Ireland is the only answer to our Soccer teams problems then we really are in trouble.

www.freebiesireland.com
    Give it away on freebies ireland!
    The unwanted stuff website!

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    He's the best player we have, hands down. If he returns to the fold, then we're much more likely to make it to the World Cup finals.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    He's the best player we have, hands down. If he returns to the fold, then we're much more likely to make it to the World Cup finals.
    Lets say Ireland returns and we qualify. We can in no way take either for granted at the moment, I know.

While bearing that in mind - If we qualify, with Stephen Ireland back in the fray - whats the odds on him p*ssing off during the World Cup Finals if relations are strained within the squad?
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    He's the best player we have, hands down.
    Absolute nonsense!

We can manage without SI and we have done so far. No doubt he is a good player and would add to the squad but we would miss Given, Keane and Dunne a lot more if any of them went awol for 2 years.

One good season for Manchester City (and that all it was folks!) does not make SI the second coming. He's not the Messiah he's a very naughty boy!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    If Andy Reid is serious about trying to make it back into the squad for the world cup then he could do worse than take a leaf out of Steven Irelands book. Whatever his attitude towards the Irish team you have to admire his dedication to working hard to make himself into as good a player as he can be. If Andy Reid went on a similar fitness program during the close season it could do wonders for him
    perhaps Reid is doing the extra work, but he most likely didnt get a photograher and journalist to record it to show how commited he is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aidz1 View Post
    perhaps Reid is doing the extra work, but he most likely didnt get a photograher and journalist to record it to show how commited he is.
    I'd say its more likely than not that he isn't; this is two summers in a row S.I. has taken on a massive workload over the summer to benefit him in time for the new season.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    If I was a professional footballer and I'd seen how much Stephen Ireland had benefitted last season from his summer training sessions I would be on the phone to his personal trainer immediately. As much as I dislike the way that Ireland has refused to play for his country recently, you have to admire the extra work that he has put in to make himself a better player. In fact if I was Mark Hughes I'd be making his personal trainer an offer he couldn't refuse to train the rest of his underachieving squad throughout the summer.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by livehead1 View Post
    I'd say its more likely than not that he isn't; this is two summers in a row S.I. has taken on a massive workload over the summer to benefit him in time for the new season.

Yea must be tough for footballers to get used to trotting about for up to 90 minutes a week after sitting on their arses for 3 months. Must take a high degree of motivation for them to get off thier backsides during those 3 months, especially if they have lost the remote control.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    Yea must be tough for footballers to get used to trotting about for up to 90 minutes a week after sitting on their arses for 3 months. Must take a high degree of motivation for them to get off thier backsides during those 3 months, especially if they have lost the remote control.
    I wonder how many time's this summer we'll see pictures of Cristiano Ronaldo plastered all over the front and back pages of newspapers sunbathing and walking out of nightclubs; fair play to S.I for taking steps many other footballers don't and working hard during the off-season.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    There are plenty of people of SI's age who keep themselves fit all year round whilst doing a full time job and without an infinite supply of money, I don't see what makes SI's efforts so special.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    There are plenty of people of SI's age who keep themselves fit all year round whilst doing a full time job and without an infinite supply of money, I don't see what makes SI's efforts so special.
    I'm not saying its special, but I know quite a few professional players and it certainly isn't the norm, far from it. He's 22 years of age, absolutely loaded, and could be out living it up with the permission of his employer for a few weeks and yet he is concentrating on taking measures to improve his game. I don't know how many other ways to make the same point!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    No doubt the camera men were invited over. It makes good PR.
    You've got no fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by livehead1 View Post
    I wonder how many time's this summer we'll see pictures of Cristiano Ronaldo plastered all over the front and back pages of newspapers sunbathing and walking out of nightclubs; fair play to S.I for taking steps many other footballers don't and working hard during the off-season.
    Exactly , Ronaldo should be on the training pitch as we speak working hard and maybe next season he can emulate the achievements of Ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Ok Ireland seems to work hard in the gym, big deal. I even know a few guys that put massive work in the gym and it's just for healthy living. Lots/most of the GAA players are doing the same through the winter. I wouldn't really sing his praises for it as I'm sure there are plenty of players doing the same, without the photographs to prove/emphasise it. Talk about Ronaldo not doing the same...we'll he's had a far more strenuous season having played far more club games, not to mention representing his country in between.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    and just to add to the whole SI working on his fitness while Ronaldo is off sunning himself. I'd be pretty damn sure he either has already or will be sunning himself before pre season. Come on now lads think about it everyone is entitled to a holiday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Talk about Ronaldo not doing the same...we'll he's had a far more strenuous season having played far more club games, not to mention representing his country in between.
    has he? not so sure. he was injured for a number of weeks at the start. Ireland was a regular in a team that got to the 1/4 finals of the uefa cup

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavo View Post
    Exactly , Ronaldo should be on the training pitch as we speak working hard and maybe next season he can emulate the achievements of Ireland
    Dont be a pedantic c*nt; you know what I'm saying makes sense. If this was Richard Dunne everyone would be saying fair play, and bigging him up.