253 45.92%
  • Yes - After an apology

151 27.40%
  • No

147 26.68%
Page 209 of 212 FirstFirst ... 109159199207208209210211 ... LastLast
Results 4,161 to 4,180 of 4233

Thread: Stephen Ireland

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I'm in a bit of a pickle here because it was the latter but by answering I'm showing I clearly haven't had the moral courage to follow through.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I'm in a bit of a pickle here because it was the latter but by answering I'm showing I clearly haven't had the moral courage to follow through.
    You've never had the moral courage to follow-through.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

4. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    One can't keep reading the lines between the lines. It becomes rather tiresome.

By all means be "obvious" but when the resident "Angry of Windsor" is involved, perhaps bullet points and diagrams can help us not descend into madness.
    You didn't have to read between the lines, you just had to postpone emotional response and read the lines as written.
    What can stop you going mad? the answer to that is beyond me, perhaps talk less and listen to Stutts a bit more

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    Because it's all about meeeeeee...

http://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2016/0614/795416-stephen-ireland/

http://www.independent.ie/style/weddings/inside-stephen-ireland-and-jessica-lawlors-lavish-weddingincluding-a-cake-taller-than-the-two-of-them-34799183.html

Sad that the only way he gets press coverage during a major tournament is in the gossip pages. Time to stfu and stop annoying us?
    Last edited by Eminence Grise; 14/06/2016 at 8:44 AM.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Wealthy man spends large amounts of money on wedding. I, for one, am shocked
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Rewarded a short term contract to help him recover from injury:
    http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/stoke...ail/story.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Interviewed in the Times at the weekend, but it's behind a paywall: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/i...game-rwhkgqdgl
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 20/08/2017 at 11:10 PM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    http://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer...-36049867.html

Snippet from the interview in the above. I find it hard to believe anything this lad says, for obvious reasons. I would imagine, particularly given the sensitivities, MON would be more measured in his interactions with him.

Everything he says appears to me like a desperate effort to save face. The reality is that the guy will never have a legacy. Not with City, Villa, Newcastle or Stoke. Most importantly, from my perspective, he will never enjoy a legacy amongst his countrymen, the Ireland supporters. He was/is incredibly gifted. James McClean, for instance, is not. But James is a sporting icon in his own country that will be remembered for generations. Stephen Ireland will be the butt of a funny story about grannies.

12. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Maybe I'm a bit harsh. He played over 100 games for City and had some good seasons but the influx of wealth has ensured that they have a new and more successful history to refer to. That said, I'm sure he won't ever enjoy the legacy of someone like Shaun Goater that would pre-date that.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    I hope he gets back to a level to go and play in the championship and play 10or 15 games in a row at that level and then he should ring up Martin o Neill and say please consider me for a friendly in March. He might still have 2 campaigns in him to help us in a creative sense at times in games but it would be one hell of a resurrection

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    http://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer...-36049867.html

Snippet from the interview in the above. I find it hard to believe anything this lad says, for obvious reasons. I would imagine, particularly given the sensitivities, MON would be more measured in his interactions with him.

Everything he says appears to me like a desperate effort to save face. The reality is that the guy will never have a legacy. Not with City, Villa, Newcastle or Stoke. Most importantly, from my perspective, he will never enjoy a legacy amongst his countrymen, the Ireland supporters. He was/is incredibly gifted. James McClean, for instance, is not. But James is a sporting icon in his own country that will be remembered for generations. Stephen Ireland will be the butt of a funny story about grannies.

It's not so much that anything is factually incorrect - it's the way he interprets and rationalises events to make him seem that he's the reasonable party - for example when he talks about how MON had said he might try to meet him when he was in the Manchester area (note, without a definite commitment) but didn't, for whatever reason, make it. Then he talks about missing a call from MON but not calling him back because O'Neill had already reached his agent and the call was to tell him he wasn't in that squad, after which he complains that people thought he was being diva-ish. Well...he kinda was - for whatever reason (reliability perhaps), O'Neill had decided to go a different way and had done him the courtesy of reaching out to let him know personally. And the grown-up, professional thing for Ireland to do, given the circumstances, would have been to call him back, thank O'Neill for his consideration and for taking the time make the personal call, and reiterate his desire to play for Ireland in the future. O'Neill seems like the kind of guy who's willing to be patient and reasonable but doesn't want to be given the runaround (as I think the successful recruitment of Scott Hogan has shown)

16. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    It's not so much that anything is factually incorrect - it's the way he interprets and rationalises events to make him seem that he's the reasonable party - for example when he talks about how MON had said he might try to meet him when he was in the Manchester area (note, without a definite commitment) but didn't, for whatever reason, make it. Then he talks about missing a call from MON but not calling him back because O'Neill had already reached his agent and the call was to tell him he wasn't in that squad, after which he complains that people thought he was being diva-ish. Well...he kinda was - for whatever reason (reliability perhaps), O'Neill had decided to go a different way and had done him the courtesy of reaching out to let him know personally. And the grown-up, professional thing for Ireland to do, given the circumstances, would have been to call him back, thank O'Neill for his consideration and for taking the time make the personal call, and reiterate his desire to play for Ireland in the future. O'Neill seems like the kind of guy who's willing to be patient and reasonable but doesn't want to be given the runaround (as I think the successful recruitment of Scott Hogan has shown)
    Agree with this from top to bottom.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Herself was watching an episode of Homes Under The Hammer yesterday, co-presented by none other than Dion Dublin. I asked if Dublin is actually presenting this show on a regular basis or if it's just a one-off kind of thing. She informed me that it's a regular thing. Anyway, I said I always thought Dublin comes across very well, to which she replied, "yeah, he does, but it's a pity he's such a liar". I was a bit baffled by this so asked what she means... The thread I'm posting this on probably ruins the ending but she answered back, "wasn't he the guy that lied about his granny dying?".

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    He let his country down and has went on to blame everybody, apart from himself

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Delusions of self importance still abound I see, 5-10 years later and still looking for the management to go running after him asking him to come back. Well, tough luck Stephen, we moved on a long time ago while you and your career stood still and there's about 10 other lads ahead of you in the pecking order even if you did come crawling back. Could have been a very good player but his career has just passed him by down to his own issues and lack of determination/ work ethic etc, a pity but all of his own making. Stoke only extended his contract until January this year as he had the break, he'll be looking for another club come the new year/ end of the season and will be lucky to get one given he hasn't kicked a ball for the guts of 2 years.

21. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Now this is the player we really should be chasing to play for Ireland. A 31 year old journeyman whose best days are far behind him. Martin fly over to his house immediately and do whatever it takes to get him back on board. If you're thinking of a bribe I believe he needs a new black land rover with pink rims.
    Last edited by youngirish; 21/08/2017 at 8:51 PM.

23. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    He might offer something we don't have, player wise, in the set up worth the chat anyway with him.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Thats a gag right?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Just a comma in the wrong place, hardly worth a laugh.