Page 185 of 212 FirstFirst ... 85135175183184185186187195 ... LastLast
Results 3,681 to 3,700 of 4233

Thread: Stephen Ireland

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Who would you have him replace? Duff or McGeady? Or would you have him come on as an impact sub? Didn't he announce that he'd be available for selection? Or was it all just smoke and mirrors?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Would love to see him come back for us to be honest. Bygones are bygones and we are not, and never have been, in the position where we can afford to ignore a player with talent. Ireland has talent to burn. Hoolahan is also very talented. Would love to see both incorporated for the upcoming campaign. But do you think Trap will do it. Better chance of seeing Southampton win the PL.
    yes, its traps fault that Ireland does not / didnt want to play for us. Its also Traps fault that Ireland spewed all kinds of negatives in the media in the build up to practicaly every game for the last few seasons. Its easy for a fan to say let bygones be bygones but some of Irelands actions since granny-gate have been nasty and spiteful and that has an effect on relationships and harmony within a squad

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    Who would you have him replace? Duff or McGeady? Or would you have him come on as an impact sub? Didn't he announce that he'd be available for selection? Or was it all just smoke and mirrors?
    Well I'd like Duff playing central in a midfield 3 but if we're talking about sticking with 4-4-2 then you're looking at adjusting it to narrow the midfield by drifting the wingers inside and using fullbacks for width more often. Ireland is more a wide midfielder than a winger, he could take up the same position as either Duff or McGeady but play it differently in a way that might benefit our midfield and link play more.

He's not much of an impact sub, his ideal usage would be in difficult games against a 4-5-1 when you want to congest the midfield more.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Would love to see him come back for us to be honest. Bygones are bygones and we are not, and never have been, in the position where we can afford to ignore a player with talent. Ireland has talent to burn. Hoolahan is also very talented. Would love to see both incorporated for the upcoming campaign. But do you think Trap will do it. Better chance of seeing Southampton win the PL.
    Trap would take back Ireland in a second because he's 10 times the player Hoolahan is. The only reason we play such a negative system is because Trap doesn't believe we have the players to play a more progressive game - Ireland is a player who can manage the transition to a more fluid system. If you built a team around Ireland, Hoolahan could potentially be a reserve.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    The grass is always greener...
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Nonsense. Stephen Ireland is the most naturally gifted footballer this country has produced since Liam Brady. If (IF) he gets his head together, he will be a world class addition to any team.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Broken arm in a cast, I'd take him back for the Germany game in a heartbeat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Undoubtedly Ireland's got bags of talent, but his form still doesn't match his potential.

At Villa he's been patchy at best - he's looked good at times, but has not been consistent at all. Being the creative hub at a medicore team isn't an easy gig, but Hoolahan's made it stick and Ireland hasn't.

Shame he's injured though - there's a job at Villa for a creative heartbeat and Ireland's ideally placed, even if he has fluffed the audition a few times.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Could open a spot for Samir Carruthers? Although he blotted his copybook lately with this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...ing-phone.html
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Could open a spot for Samir Carruthers? Although he blotted his copybook lately with this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...ing-phone.html
    Samir seems to be a bit down the pecking order under lambert to be honest and they will probably go for a change in formation now that albrighton and gabby ag are back. Burke is probably rated ahead of Samir in that role too if sub appearances are anything to go by also.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    That's great ne......oh no wait.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    According to the Premier League show tonight, Ireland will be quoted in some broadsheet tomorrow as open to returning if Trap asks him to.

Because, just saying he's available for selection is too complicated. Yeesh.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I imagine he was asked the question by an Irish reporter for the 900th time and he gave the same non-committal answer that he always does because he's not bothered either way. It's about as exclusive as a prostitute.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    We shouldn't underestimate how taxing the process of consideration with a view to making one's mind up, may be for Stephen. For the vast majority of people, it's an expedient enough cognitive process but he might need to clear an evening and sit alone in a dark room mulling over the various potentialities and whatnot. Furthermore, reaching a decision in advance of a certain anticipated intervention has been shown to be a leading cause of head cancer. So in this instance Stephen is also exercising sound medical judgement and doesn't deserve some of the sarcasm I fear may come his way.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Ireland was very good today

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Ireland was very good today
    Losing 12-16 to South Africa is not very good.

In all seriousness though, from what I've seen, he's not playing any better or at any higher a level than Hoolahan. So even if what was posted above is true, I'd still take Hoolahan as he's not, well, Stephen Ireland.
    Last edited by theworm2345; 11/11/2012 at 12:03 AM.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullivinho View Post
    We shouldn't underestimate how taxing the process of consideration with a view to making one's mind up, may be for Stephen. For the vast majority of people, it's an expedient enough cognitive process but he might need to clear an evening and sit alone in a dark room mulling over the various potentialities and whatnot. Furthermore, reaching a decision in advance of a certain anticipated intervention has been shown to be a leading cause of head cancer. So in this instance Stephen is also exercising sound medical judgement and doesn't deserve some of the sarcasm I fear may come his way.

All joking asunder. Maybe you can clear something up for me, because I feel like I've missed something along the way.

As far as I know, Stephen Ireland has said he'd love to be called back into the Irish squad. He said it before the Euros and also said that he understood fully that it made sense not to call him up until after the Euros (because he wasn't there all along). But the way I understand it is that the ball is in Trap's court. Ireland has made the offer and is now waiting for Trap to respond? Am I right, or has something else happened since?

P.S As far as the player himself, I think we all saw how good a display he turned in against United at the weekend. It's a shame that he (ok I know he's been the author of his own problems for a long time), Hoolahan and Andy Reid (our three most creative players) have not played much for their country at a time when they are needed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Here are his quotes:

"I haven't really put much thought into playing for Ireland for a long time now because no one has approached me, but it is something I will put some serious thought into," Ireland said. "At the moment it is not an issue as there haven't been any questions from the right people.

"Yes, I would meet them half way. I have nothing against the manager. I'm not sure if he has anything against me. If there is no contact, then I'll just carry on regardless, like I have done for the last few years."
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...-setup?cc=5901
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ