Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: John Giles

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

John Giles

First off, I do not think he'll get it but two things have struck me lately re Giles:

1) He is getting backed for the job. Both PP and particularly Betfair shows that Giles is getting backed by someone...and it is consistent support, not just some looney with a wad.

2) He appears to have become much more cagey when discussing the appointyment process etc on Newstalk. Is this because he himself wants to be (or already is) part of that very process?

I'm telling you, do not be surprised if he emerges out of nowhere on this one. There is €300 or more looking to back him on Betfair at prices I would consider way too short, so someone fancies his chances...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    I believe the technical term is 'RAMP' for this one

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kriscommons View Post
    First off, I do not think he'll get it but two things have struck me lately re Giles:

1) He is getting backed for the job. Both PP and particularly Betfair shows that Giles is getting backed by someone...and it is consistent support, not just some looney with a wad.

2) He appears to have become much more cagey when discussing the appointyment process etc on Newstalk. Is this because he himself wants to be (or already is) part of that very process?

I'm telling you, do not be surprised if he emerges out of nowhere on this one. There is €300 or more looking to back him on Betfair at prices I would consider way too short, so someone fancies his chances...
    Cant for the life of me see him getting the job and if he does then we are only going to go backwards.

I would hope we go for someone outside Ireland and UK and someone who can get us to play to our ability which I believe is to qualify for major competitions (not to win them but we good enough to get there with players we have)

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The FAI won't go outside Ireland and UK because they won't stump up the cash for an interpreter at the interview process
    P.S. That's why Dalglish won't get the gig either

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts
    Our fuhrer will only go for someone who is or has been involved with the premiership to pander to our premiership nation.
    False hope is worse than no hope. Ask Sligo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian View Post
    Cant for the life of me see him getting the job and if he does then we are only going to go backwards.

I would hope we go for someone outside Ireland and UK and someone who can get us to play to our ability which I believe is to qualify for major competitions (not to win them but we good enough to get there with players we have)
    While not an ideal choice, theres not many out there that would be more committed. He has plenty of experience and while he stayed away from management since his days at Rovers he's probably a better choice than El Tel and most others bandied about. He certainly would take no crap from the likes of Stephen Ireland and Anthony Stokes and you may see a return of the passion we used to have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    eh he's like 85 years old. come on!
    I

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Absolutely NO chance of this happening!......let's not forget Delaney is champion of "The Self-Preservation Society"......this would be suicide for him, and whatever he is he's NOT that stupid!
    Tact is for people who are not witty enough to be sarcastic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by as_i_say View Post
    eh he's like 85 years old. come on!

Terence Frederick "Terry" Venables (born 6 January 1943 in Dagenham, London

John Giles. Date of birth, November 6, 1940 (1940-11-06) (age 67). Place of birth, Dublin, Ireland ...

Not much of a difference, not that im promoting JG but JG would be a better choice then El Tel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenforever View Post
    Terence Frederick "Terry" Venables (born 6 January 1943 in Dagenham, London

John Giles. Date of birth, November 6, 1940 (1940-11-06) (age 67). Place of birth, Dublin, Ireland ...

Not much of a difference, not that im promoting JG but JG would be a better choice then El Tel.
    Peter Andre is a better option than El Tel, but I don't see anyone opening a thread on Peter Andre for Ireland manager...
    That question was less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

Help me, Arthur Murphy, you're my only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I bow to no one. bar Bluebeard and Mr A

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    El Tel has a better tan though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebeard View Post
    Peter Andre is a better option than El Tel, but I don't see anyone opening a thread on Peter Andre for Ireland manager...
    Stan bad and all as he was is probably a better option than El Tel

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Stan bad and all as he was is probably a better option than El Tel
    Oh for christ sake, can we all stop bandwagon jumping. Venables is an average choice for manager. He has experience of succesdful management of an international team. Staunton had no experience, Giles has managed no-one for over 20 years and even then had little success.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cavan_fan View Post
    Oh for christ sake, can we all stop bandwagon jumping. Venables is an average choice for manager. He has experience of succesdful management of an international team. Staunton had no experience, Giles has managed no-one for over 20 years and even then had little success.
    AVERAGE choice being the word, are we not meant to set our sight higher than average, noone is recommending Stan or Giles just pointing out how poor a choice el tel would be and if you consider failing to get past the semis in your own country a success, i wouldnt.........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Yeah I think the anti Venables has a got bit over the top, I dont want Venables anywhere near the Irish job, but he does have a record in the game, Staunton has none and Venables has worked at a higher level than Giles too. Criticism is better when it is actually fact based rather than just over the top rants.
    Last edited by NeilMcD; 08/01/2008 at 11:09 PM.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    Yeah I think the anti Venables has a got bit over the top, I dont want Venables anywhere near the Irish job, but he does have a record in the game, Staunton has none and he has worked at a higher level than Giles too. Criticism is better when it is actually fact based rather than just over the top rants.
    Staunton has worked at a higher level than Giles?

Both managed Ireland, Staunton assisant at Walsall, Giles managed West Brom and Rovers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Staunton has worked at a higher level than Giles?

Both managed Ireland, Staunton assisant at Walsall, Giles managed West Brom and Rovers
    I meant Venables has worked at a higher level than Giles, sorry about the confusion there.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I meant Venables has worked at a higher level than Giles, sorry about the confusion there.
    No probs, anyway I remember standing on the south terrace for Giles last game at Lansdowne when he got terrible abuse from a small section off the crowd, ticket cost me all of 50p, those were the days...no block booking required and had my own section on the terrace all to myself

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    The fact is that it seems absolutely certain that we are getting someone who's day was about 12 years ago. I think that it is telling that so much time is going in on the part of most of us in the hunt for a better alternative - anyone who reads what is going on here would swiftly guess the meaning of it all. However, is it likely that the management of Football In Ireland PLC are reading this, or any other of the major supporter fora?

I don't agree with the idea of a People's Choice manager, as you inevitably get the chicken flavour, but I do think that the FAI have a major PR job needing doing. They need someone who has a great deal of expertise, combined with someone who will appease the fans. The most successful manager in Asian club football, whoever he or she might be, may indeed be the best otion, and the best available option too, but they cannot plumb for that, as the chants will go up from the lucrative Three-Day-Eventers of "Who-are-ya". Similarly, someone like a certain Mr. Keane would be for a substantial number of supporters a very popular choice, but what has he actually done yet - many supporters on both sides of Saipan-gate would object to his lack of credentials?

In this situation, the only thing that the FAI can do is to wait for as long as possible to get the right man (or woman) for the job. Otherwise the recriminations will be about the fact that they jumped too soon, and if wthey had to wait we would have had Benitez / Beckenbauer / Beckham / Boney M / Bluebeard - delete as applicable. Of course, dates are getting tight for the world cup fixtures, and that wil not help.

Personally, I am starting to think that we should wait until Hodgson gets the inevitable sack that comes as part of the Fulham package these day, but that could be months away.

Criticism is better when it is actually fact based rather than just over the top rants.
    You are absolutely no fun
    That question was less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

Help me, Arthur Murphy, you're my only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I bow to no one. bar Bluebeard and Mr A

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebeard View Post

In this situation, the only thing that the FAI can do is to wait for as long as possible to get the right man (or woman) for the job. Otherwise the recriminations will be about the fact that they jumped too soon, and if wthey had to wait we would have had Benitez / Beckenbauer / Beckham / Boney M / Bluebeard - delete as applicable. Of course, dates are getting tight for the world cup fixtures, and that wil not help.
    I can confirm that Bluebeards Betfair odds have plummetted to 3-1 following his confirmation that he MOST DEFINITELY WANTS THE JOB.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast