Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Mick McCarthy

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    the way he was booed at lansdowne V the swiss '02 was an absolute disgrace and highlighted how stupid and shortsighted some of our fans are
    here here, I was nearly sick that night.
    <insert witty remark>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I don't think I can handle much more of this speculation.Just appoint somebody PLEASE!!!!

Can't see McCarthy coming back to be honest.Think he felt he was too badly burnt the first time.

Would prefer my Sunday league manager ahead of Venables.I cant believe the media are touting him as some sort of saviour.I think an anti-Venables campaign needs to be started because the FAI wil just slumber into appointing this guy if we dont make our feelings known.

I dont think I could handle Del-Boy in charge of the Boys in Green!!!
    Bohs Will Be Back!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Breen was one of our best players in the world cup in 2002, so to question his inclusion by Mick seems foolish.

Ian Harte, for all his faults, was one of our top scorers during the WC 2002 qualification campaign.

As for Kilbane vs Duff, Kilbane was in his prime then, and Duff was just breaking through. It wasn't as if Duff was excluded altogether, he was just thrown around a bit, even playing up front.

Look at Wenger and Walcott, is Wenger going to be criticized down the line for playing Walcott as a winger right now?

Sometimes you have to play young players out of position if they're too good to be excluded but not good enough to play in their natural position.
    Harte was also playing in the CL or UEFA every season with Leeds back then and had been in the PFA team of the year a couple of years previous. He had a bad World Cup alright but he was there on merit. We couldn't afford to leave players playing for any of the top 4 in the EPL back then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Paddy View Post
    Harte was injured at that WC, for the record. And about the manager's job - there's no rush.
    thats correct. apparently got a painkilling injection before each game for a foot injury and could hardly feel his foot as a result. how many of todays team would go through similar?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    lads he loved harte, and played him all over the shop because he was wanted to bum him. He brought breen everywhere with him like keane brought his dog, playing him in a sunderland team that conceded nearly the highest amount of goals against for a relegated team. I asked these questions before, but his loyalty and stubborness cost us previously, along with his inexperience, but I reckon he should have enough experience this time round to overcome that. I like Mick McCarthy and I think he would be a decent candidate but I could seriouslly see myself getting frustrated with him over the same things that he used to do when he was previouslly manager and everyone else coming on then and jumping on the bandwagon like most posters ( and fans ) do here saying this and that about mccarthy that some of us already knew and were unsure of him as a manager for this reason.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Mick has had his time as Ireland manager and now it's time to move on.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    lads he loved harte, and played him all over the shop because he was wanted to bum him. He brought breen everywhere with him like keane brought his dog, playing him in a sunderland team that conceded nearly the highest amount of goals against for a relegated team. I asked these questions before, but his loyalty and stubborness cost us previously, along with his inexperience, but I reckon he should have enough experience this time round to overcome that. I like Mick McCarthy and I think he would be a decent candidate but I could seriouslly see myself getting frustrated with him over the same things that he used to do when he was previouslly manager and everyone else coming on then and jumping on the bandwagon like most posters ( and fans ) do here saying this and that about mccarthy that some of us already knew and were unsure of him as a manager for this reason.
    Breen was magnificent for Sunderland the year before when they went up. Who was he going to replace him with after being given a budget of what, £10m to cover transfer fees and wages? And replace anyone who was out of contract. Sunderland were awful that year but they're hardly pulling up any trees this season despite spending over 10 times (!) what McCarthy had to buy players with. Can't blame him for sticking with Breen when he'd no other options and Breen is well respected by the fans of every club he's played for bar West Ham.

Wouldn't want him back in the Ireland squad of course!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Does Mc Carthy have a clause in his Wolves contract that will allow him to take the Irish job?

If no, then its a non-runner to begin with

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Mick had his chance of 3 qulaifying campaigns and blew our best chance of getting near a world cup by sending keane home, unforgivable...he is also an FAI yes man, and a championship manager at best...a laughable suggestion i might add,!!!
    'How can I hate women, my Mums one!!!' Chris Finch

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    I'd chose Mick McCarthy over Venables or Houllier anyday, no contest
    LTID

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i turd that idea

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Mick's time has come and gone, just because his tenure as manager coincided with our greatest ever player is no reason to be blind of the fact that Mick is an average manager.
    Marge: Homer, the plant called. They said if you don't show up tomorrow don't bother showing up on Monday.
    Homer: Woo-hoo. Four-day weekend
    -
    Trappattoni+Tardelli+Brady=Holy Trinity of Irish Football

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Bizarre thread.

What about Brian Kerr - He took us to within one game away from qualification - could we tempt him back from Pats? How about Eoin Hand - nearly got us out of the toughest group we even had to contend with - is he available? Hey, there's also Johnny Giles - a good media operator and in his day we had a formidable home record.

Get your bets on now folks.
    Together with all our hearts.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by citizenerased View Post
    Mick had his chance of 3 qulaifying campaigns and blew our best chance of getting near a world cup by sending keane home, unforgivable...he is also an FAI yes man, and a championship manager at best...a laughable suggestion i might add,!!!
    We hadnt a sniff of reaching a major tourment since Mick gone FACT

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    What about Billy Davies? Bad record in the Premiership at Derby but hardly a surprise there considering the lack of funds. No-one can argue his extremely impressive record in the Championship. A young up and coming manager is exactly what we need not a has been like Venables or a never was quite good enough been like McCarthy.
    Last edited by youngirish; 27/11/2007 at 12:54 PM.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    We have dad a sniff of getting to a world/European final since Mick has left us ... FACT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    thats cos he sabotaged the first one, with a slaughtering by russia and a home defeat to the swiss...and to be fair we should have qualified for the last two campaigns...after saipan Micks position was untenable...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    How do you go about removing rose-tinted spectacles from a thread???
    Marge: Homer, the plant called. They said if you don't show up tomorrow don't bother showing up on Monday.
    Homer: Woo-hoo. Four-day weekend
    -
    Trappattoni+Tardelli+Brady=Holy Trinity of Irish Football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    lol ...good one i4e !

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    thats cos he sabotaged the first one, with a slaughtering by russia and a home defeat to the swiss...and to be fair we should have qualified for the last two campaigns...after saipan Micks position was untenable...
    What a load of b0llix. Kerr had 6 games of that campaign and needed two wins from our last 2 games to win the group of 4 points for a play off. We got 1 point. Get a grip ffs. I was all for Kerr when he got appointed but his reign was garbage. Should've qualified for his 2 campaigns??

The only teams he managed to beat were Albania (once in 2 attempts), Georgia, Cyprusand the Faroes. He took 2 points out of a possible 9 v Switzerland,

2 out of 6 v Israel, 1 out of 3 v Russia– none of whom are exactly international heavyweights. The only top class team we came up against under Kerr was France, and we took 1 point out of 6 against them. In his first full campaign we finished 4th in a group for the first time in 20 years. And guess what? Roy Keane played in 6 out of the 10 games in that campaign.

Need I go on? Oh yeah, nearly forgot, Kerr's home record was probably the worst of any
    Irish manager in history.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast