Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: David O'Leary

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts

O'Leary Interview

Interesting interview here in todays Mail where he chucks his orb about a few things ...club managment, international managment, Stan, Roy, former team-mates and contemporaries ...nothing about Trap or the current set-up mind.

I'm generally a supporter of the guy and usually end up sticking up for him in debates but if what he said is accurately transcribed (It is the Mail like) then he comes across at times as quite ingracious and snide.

anyway he wants a gig.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Comes across as a bit of a knob in that interview, tbh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joema View Post
    Comes across as a bit of a knob in that interview, tbh.
    He does doesn't he? It's beyond straight-talk or calling it as he sees it. It's mouthy and petulant.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    He does doesn't he? It's beyond straight-talk or calling it as he sees it. It's mouthy and petulant.
    Having a go at Adams seemed a strange one, too. When talking about Leeds, he came across as unbelievably big-headed.

Think he is a decent manager though. It'll be interesting to see if he does get a job soon...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Cas's acute observations of O'Leary.
    "He was the kind of guy who would call you 'top man', put the phone down and probably hammer you afterwards. If there was someone more important than you in the room, he'd almost certainly make a beeline for them."

Can't see him getting a job, no job is good enough. And it would appear that not many share his delusion, despite O'Leary's compulsive need to namedrop some famous folk who he thinks recognise his real genius (when they are just being polite).

With a a bit of humility he could be a decent manager.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by joema View Post
    Having a go at Adams seemed a strange one, too. When talking about Leeds, he came across as unbelievably big-headed.

Think he is a decent manager though. It'll be interesting to see if he does get a job soon...
    He made so many mistakes at Leeds, it's incredible. Waste upon waste with Ridsdale bankrolling him. £8m for Seth Johnson, £12 for fat Fowler, £11M for Robbie only to leave him on the bench.......endless ridiculous signings and decisions.

He ****ed off more players than Scolari at Chelsea, totally lost the dressing room, writing a book while the club crumbled around him.....I don't know where he gets the idea that he is a good manager from.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    See this is where it gets complicated...
    Quote Originally Posted by Scram View Post
    He made so many mistakes at Leeds, it's incredible. Waste upon waste with Ridsdale bankrolling him. £8m for Seth Johnson, £12 for fat Fowler, £11M for Robbie only to leave him on the bench.......endless ridiculous signings and decisions.
    ...He'd nothing to do with either transfer fees paid or wages negotiated with players. The market dictated the former and Ridsdale the latter.

H£11M for Robbie only to leave him on the bench.......endless ridiculous signings and decisions..
    Pretty sure it was nowhere near 11M. That might've been what Inter paid Coventry for him. I think Leeds paid about half that to get him from Inter. More importantly -long after both Robbie and DOL were gone from Leeds -Robbies club managers were STILL looking elsewhere in their squad for a regular, consistent finisher.

...writing a book while the club crumbled around him...
    The latent, instinctive greed of people who are already very wealthy by any reasonable standard never fails to amaze me. The sheer vulgarity of it. it's the single biggest mistake of the mans career -amazingly made at a time when he was steering a team to the latter stages of the champions league despite constant interuptions from the Police and consequent wholly inadequate training.

I don't know where he gets the idea that he is a good manager from.
    ...probably from having his teams finish in the top 6 of the prem on all attempts but one.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Lionel Ritchie

Nonsense. The market ONLY dictates player value if there are other interested parties IN the market. O' Leary wanted these players like Fowler and Johnson and paid over the odds.

A simple bit of research would show you THAT ROBBIE KEANE WENT TO LEEDS FOR £12m. Given that you haven't even bothered to do that before replying and offereing up a lesson in "basics", I will assume that the rest of your post is equally researched and just as valid.

Getting a team to a top 6 finish in the Premiership having spent over £100m may be considered by you as an achievement but it certainly wouldn't be by most and especially not Leeds fans.
    Last edited by Scram; 29/06/2009 at 1:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Lionel Ritchie

Nonsense. The market ONLY dictates player value if there are other interested parties IN the market. O' Leary wanted these players like Fowler and Johnson and paid over the odds.
    ..so you don't think Leeds were competing with anyone else for any of those lads signatures? Johnson? Fowler? Viduka? Dacourt? Matteo? Come off it.

A simple bit of research would show you THAT ROBBIE KEANE WENT TO LEEDS FOR £12m.
    I'll try and make a point of going scrambling to wikipedia EVERY time the absurd figure some footballer changes clubs for is up for grabs in future. But -given -Robbie went from Inter to Leeds for 12M. It was Coventry who'd paid 6M for him -which in itself shows how bloated transfer values had become when a 2nd flight teenager at Wolves is moving to a weak, cash strapped premier struggler for that kind of cash.

Given that you haven't even bothered to do that before replying and offereing up a lesson in "basics", I will assume that the rest of your post is equally researched and just as valid.
    wtf? who are you quoting with "basics"? Look ...I've a feckin job to do and spend too much time on here as it is. I'm not gonna go scrambling for stattos every single time I post. I've conceded you were right and I was wrong about the 12M/6M transfer fee. Move on.

Getting a team to a top 6 finish in the Premiership having spent over £100m may be considered by you as an achievement but it certainly wouldn't be by most and especially not Leeds fans.
    Tell that to Newcastle and Sunderland. Also -he did it consistently during his tenure there. That, I feel anyway, is the important bit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    He is undoubtedly the most self-indulgent, obnoxiously arrogant clown I've ever come across. Full of himself. Had an incredible talent of starting most post-match interviews with 'I'. I doubt Capello is worried about when O'Leary is 'going to get back into that bloody game'. Can you really imagine Capello saying that?
    'And Crouch must score'

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    [QUOTE=DeNiro;1184539]He is undoubtedly the most self-indulgent, obnoxiously arrogant clown I've ever come across. Full of himself. Had an incredible talent of starting most post-match interviews with 'I'. I doubt Capello is worried about when O'Leary is 'going to get back into that bloody game'. Can you really imagine Capello saying that?[/QUOTE]

Eh, No!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    How many times did he contradict himself in that article?

Shocked but not surprised at Keane's departure. What does that mean?

Kids are in their 20s and still at home, can't get rid of them. Then he says he wouldn't move abroad because of his family.

Ando so on...,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Ah lads...leave him alone!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,631 Posts
    "a nation holds its breath"

cue mayhem

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Where's the article gone?

The interview seems to have vanished from the Mail site! The link doesn't work and a search for "o'leary" (or even just "david leeds") reveals nothing! Highly unusual - d'you think he pressured them to pull it if it was really that bad? And did anyone think to copy it before it went down?
    Last edited by czarner; 02/07/2009 at 6:16 AM. Reason: Punctuation...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    It's on the Independent's site: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...on-590889.html
    And there's some extracts on the Guardian's site: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...wsstory.sport2
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Cheers, but while those articles are interesting, they're 6-7 years old; I was under the impression this was an interview, and one done recently at that.

Maybe they just take non-news items off the site after a day or 2 or something. Don't know, don't often find myself perusing the Mail.
    Last edited by czarner; 02/07/2009 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Opened the links...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Dreary O'Leary

Please stay away from football

To keep the rest of us cheery!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thanks a lot for that!

Surprisingly, I didn't think he came across THAT badly in the interview. Sure, he spends most of it trying to disguise his bitterness at the footballing world by being an arrogant *****, but nothing in the interview made me revise my opinion of him downwards. That's not really saying very much, mind.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Davo ”would consider” Arsenal, United role

July 6, 2009

David O’Leary has admitted that he would consider returning to football in an assistant manager’s position at Arsenal or Manchester United.

O’Leary has been out of football since being sacked by Aston Villa three years ago.

The former Leeds United boss is itching to get back into management and admits he would take on the challenge of a number two role at Old Trafford or the Emirates – but he insists he will not stoop to anything to achieve his goal.

He said: “The only people who could take me as a number two would be an Alex Ferguson or an Arsene Wenger and I’d be back tomorrow.

“I don’t want to be making out that my tongue is hanging out ass licking to get into a job. That’s just not me.”

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast