Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: David O'Leary

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scram View Post
    Can't see FAI hiring a guy ready to write a book about it if he fails!

A foreign manager fails and he goes home, end of story....which would you prefer if you are the FAI?!
    I hope the FAI appoint someone other than O'Leary but if they do give him the job they could easily avoid the potential of an embarrassing book by including a clause in his contract.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Paddy View Post
    O'Leary won't be writing any more books.
    You plan on getting the Ned and the boys from the meat packing plant to pay him a visit?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    No!
    No!
    No!
    I can't stop, I can't start
    It holds me together while it tears me apart

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    He's actually an alright bloke if people give him a chance.
    Is he a personal friend TP or are you just supposing?

Many people have publicly indicated exactly the opposite. Tony Cascarino's assessment of DOL was that "he's two-faced - the type of bloke who says 'top man' to your face and then slags you off behind your back". Alternatively you can have the story (don't have the source or quote to hand) that, at Leeds, he knew the name of the chairman's wife but not that of the captain of the youth team.

I don't want this chancer anywhere near the Ireland manager's job, thanks.

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    I actually kind of admired him for calling a spade a spade that way. He was at least consistent. He also said of a then 20 year old Alan Smith that it was absolutely disgraceful that he'd clocked up seven sendings off at that stage of his professional career. But he wasn't just putting him down, nor Robbie either, he was saying he expected and demanded better from them.

Keane had a great game - he could have said that. He always seemed to criticise his players rather than praise them. When Ireland played Cameroon in the World Cup, O'Leary was working for the BBC and kept going on about the weaknesses in Robbie's game. He went on so much that Martin O'Neill asked him if he would be prepared to sell Keane to him.

BTW, did anyone see the Irish Mail yesterday. Didn't see it myself, but there was a guy reading it on the bus I was on and the headline on the back page seemed to suggest that Robbie wants O'Leary. I didn't get a good look at it as the guy kept moving the paper. I was going to ask him to stop messing around and that i wanted to see what was on the back page, but he might have taken it the wrong way .
    My Life story now available on DVD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Plastic Paddy View Post
    Is he a personal friend TP or are you just supposing?

Many people have publicly indicated exactly the opposite. Tony Cascarino's assessment of DOL was that "he's two-faced - the type of bloke who says 'top man' to your face and then slags you off behind your back". Alternatively you can have the story (don't have the source or quote to hand) that, at Leeds, he knew the name of the chairman's wife but not that of the captain of the youth team.

I don't want this chancer anywhere near the Ireland manager's job, thanks.

PP
    Everything there about the professional football manager David O'Leary is a direct quote from the professional gambler Tony Cascarino made on the Last Word years ago. There's no "story" there at all ...just speculation and opinion from the man who'd get short odds on "former Irish player most likely to be found face down in a ditch with a cap in his ass."

O'Leary might be a lick-arse I don't know. But I'm damn sure which of that pair I'd rather have sitting next to me on a plane when the face-masks drop and the emergency lights come on.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Fair enough Lionel, I see and, to an extent, I accept your point. How about "Leeds United On Trial" then? Four words that, to me, say exactly why DOL should not get the Ireland job. As a matter of interest, you being a LUFC fan and all, how did you feel about this book when it was published? And what of the conduct and timing of the author?

PP
    Last edited by Plastic Paddy; 28/10/2007 at 8:29 AM.
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Plastic Paddy View Post
    Fair enough Lionel, I see and, to an extent, I accept your point. How about "Leeds United On Trial" then? Four words that, to me, say exactly why DOL should not get the Ireland job. As a matter of interest, you being a LUFC fan and all, how did you feel about this book when it was published?

PP
    It's like most football books. That is -quite badly shadow written. You can tell from the patter of it that he's dictating ...probably down a phone line. As someone else pointed out he'd nothing to do with the title, and I'll add, the serialisation which was done by whatever newspaper out of money spinning mischief. It was a terribly ill-advised project to involve himself in ...but journalists and publishers side-up to football people all the time and tell them they have to strike while the iron is hot y'know -and the whole Leeds story was very hot at the time. Not just the trial either -serious football writers were talking about the "power-base of English football crossing the Pennines" and that sort of thing.

But there's chapters of it well worth reading just to see how the guy can cope under pressure. Better managers than him would've fared no better in the situation they had in the CL run-in where they'd basically a police incident room set up at Thorpe Arch and he didn't know who he'd have for training from one day to the next.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    If it was only Cas slagging off O'Leary then you might have a point. But it's not, his presence makes the skin crawl off an awful lot of people.
    It's been discussed before about Cas's book and articles about O'Leary.

I think Cas would be a good guy to have in consultation about the appointment of our new manager.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    jesus no. Cascarino is rent a quote and does not have a clue about football. His articles for HOt Press and his work for Today FM is embarassing, he makes Jamie Redknapp sound like Arsene Wenger. I would not consult him regarding should I have a ****e or not never mind the important job of Ireland manager.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    jesus no. Cascarino is rent a quote and does not have a clue about football. His articles for HOt Press and his work for Today FM is embarassing, he makes Jamie Redknapp sound like Arsene Wenger. I would not consult him regarding should I have a ****e or not never mind the important job of Ireland manager.
    What that man said. If Tony Cascarino proclaimed that grass was green and water wet I'd be inclined to check for myself.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I'd ignore anything the bookies' odds imply on any new manager. They create rumours and bring in odds dramatically (remember Venables last time) in a cyncical attempt to encourage more bets.

O'Leary is a far better manager than Staunton but is not the answer. I loved him as a player but he's a slippery self-serving snake, just like the giuy he'd be working for. No, despire my knee jerk clamour for him around the time of the Slovakia game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

coppell

Coppell is class. I've been to Reading FC training and I've watched him at close quarters. He's a class act. Madejski will back him to the hilt in January with cash, but maybe he feels he has done his bit at the club and wants something else.
    He was being mentioned for the England job not so long ago and he'd have been a far better bet than McClaren.
    If he's that class how does he persevere with arguably the worst keeper the premiership has ever had in his team?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

no way

Not just yet! Just know for a fact that he felt very sore about the way that all worked out. He wasn't even consulted on the title and flipped when it came out as it did. He's actually an alright bloke if people give him a chance.
    No, no no. I actually think he did a pretty good job at Leeds until he wrote that book which was unforgivable...did any of you read it it. He is so far up his own hole, went on about drinking Krug champagne....about his friendship with the horse trainer David Loder, which he couldn't even spell properly....

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    if it came to it i'd rather o'leary than brady, venables, souness, houillier or haan even though he's a prrick.
    but he should be behind hodgson, coppell, jol and allardyce in the pecking order.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Just said on Skynews that he is interested in managing a national team and not necessarily Ireland.
    Last edited by Noelys Guitar; 20/12/2007 at 11:57 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    O'Leary once more bookies favourite at 5/2.
    http://www.itv-football.co.uk/story/...003704,00.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    He has always stated his love to manage Ireland some day. At a guess id say he has rejected the request on similar grounds to Souness i.e. he is not a complete gob****e and he knows this is all window dressing to make El Tel manager

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    no quotes in that article?

not that i'd really give a sh*te whether he's interested in the job or not...
    "Well I think they'll be a little disappointed with that" - Matt Holland on TV3 after 5-2 drubbing by Cyprus

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The Republic's selection panel of Don Givens, Ray Houghton and Don Howe are leading the search for a new national team manager, and will draw up a shortlist for the FAI Board of Management.

But O’Leary will not be on that list after confirming that he will not seek the nomination

It all makes sense now - the whole thing is being run like the US Presedential elections.

Venables is the front-runner because he won a couple of early primaries but I don't think he'll have enough support to win in the General Election.

Johnny Giles is John McCain (experienced, fought heroically for our nation in his youth, pretty freakin' old)

Hoddle is Huckabee due to his quirky religious views.

Deschamps represents the youthful, Barack Obama-type, candidate for change. Would be wildly popular but lacks the experience of other candidates. Also, are we sure we can really trust him...?

Finally, I would say that Mick is Hillary - they've both been there before, know their way around the place. Main problem is that they would split the country with many people still bearing a grudge. Against that, they may benefit from the sympathy vote, with lots of people believing they were cruelly ****ed over by the most important man in their life...

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast