Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ireland - the friendliest place in the World

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Tribe View Post
    Have to agree, I can't speak for other towns/cities but Galway has poor policing. Even looking at traffic offences, the amount of people I see constantly on their mobile phone whilst driving in the city is shocking! Little Garda presence.
    Ironically, Galway's population is slightly larger that Limerick's but Limerick has TWICE the amount of Gardai. This has been highlighted in the local media but the situation hasn't improved.

Back on the topic of Ireland being the friendliest place in the world, I'd love to know how the author came to that conclusion. Was it in the bars? Or restaurants? The taxi drivers? Guy serving coffee on the train? Medical professionals? Street cleaners? Buskers? Because if it was, then he probaly didn't encounter any Irish people.

Maybe he was arrested by the aforementioned cops who are friendly Irish people.
    Nobody knows us, we don't care

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdom hoop View Post
    and don't be pointlessly sarcastic like dcfcsteve!
    Sarcasm always has its own inherent point KH...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddyfield View Post
    I'd love to know how the author came to that conclusion. Was it in the bars? Or restaurants? The taxi drivers? Guy serving coffee on the train? Medical professionals? Street cleaners? Buskers? Because if it was, then he probaly didn't encounter any Irish people.
    Definitely fair point. But also fair is to say the award is for places, not the natives. Clearly our friendliness is endemic amongst the immigrant swarms, as we're vaccinated with our happy juice, dropped in the cauldron as a baby, no way they could infect the nation with their austere virus. We will warm and pacify all.

Quote Originally Posted by baileban View Post
    Now thers a surprise!!!
    Not really! Why should someone supporting someone be a surprise? It's good to build, fortify and cherish commonalities you know. Officially at least, this country does, but you'd wonder sometimes if that is very shallow-seated with all the begrudging and bickering around the place. What is it - you're superficially nice if it matters, but when it suits you to be negative, no matter how pointless, then you will be? Not good enough I say! Isn't there such a thing as being constructive and friendly?

Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve View Post
    Sarcasm always has its own inherent point KH...
    Exactly, a point, a draw. Neither side wins, the sarcasee is made to seem stupid and the giver looks like a prat. You're not a loser, but not a winner either.
    Last edited by kingdom hoop; 18/10/2007 at 3:47 AM. Reason: A bitta nip/tuck

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Definitely fair point. But also fair is to say the award is for places, not the natives. Clearly our friendliness is endemic amongst the immigrant swarms, as we're vaccinated with our happy juice, dropped in the cauldron as a baby, no way they could infect the nation with their austere virus. We will warm and pacify all.

you obviously havent seen des bishops "fitting in" which I alluded to earlier so....
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Ironically, Galway's population is slightly larger that Limerick's
    No it isn't

but Limerick has TWICE the amount of Gardai
    It's because we're all murderers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Exactly, a point, a draw. Neither side wins, the sarcasee is made to seem stupid and the giver looks like a prat. You're not a loser, but not a winner either.
    Only someone unschooled in the dark art of sarcasm would think that way.

Everyone else gets it......

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    you obviously havent seen des bishops "fitting in" which I alluded to earlier so....
    I don't think you did mention it Paul. Whichever, I can assume the point made, and make my own point I suppose. Going only on my own experiences with no empirical or comedian support I think that foreigners here do get into the friendly spirit. I often raise it with foreign taxi drivers and mostly they affirm the view that they like our personalities and we are very friendly, and while I haven't asked if they feel obliged to mirror our warm-hearted nature I think it's fair to say they bounce off us. We perhaps give them the free reign to joke that would not be the case in their native land. A recent example I had was with a shop assistant where we joked for about a minute when he asked me if the colour lighter he gave me was acceptable.

Only someone unschooled in the dark art of sarcasm would think that way.

Everyone else gets it......)
    Having insinuating tones hurled my way for being a sarky ***** for much of my formative years I can safely say I'm well schooled in the dark art! I had all the answers, like 'peh, yeah, I know it's the lowest form of wit, but it's the highest form of intelligence.' Working off that intelligence, I came to realise that sarcasm is just one step away from a good joke. I now live my life two seconds behind where I used to be but for the most part instead of being brandished a sarcastic w***** I'm now just a w*****. I prefer it that way. So while I 'get' it and sometimes do it, I don't like it. And you could even say I'm in a great position to judge its merits given I've seen both sides of the coin! Each to their own though of course.
    Last edited by kingdom hoop; 18/10/2007 at 2:36 PM. Reason: My co-producer said it needed a review

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    You mean polish shop assistants on a "stepping stone"
    read above Hoop.

I now live my life two seconds behind where I used to be
    I wonder why that is?=
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 18/10/2007 at 3:21 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    read above Hoop.
    I read it. But what was I to read into it? Lazy post Paul, you should always give a brief explanation for me.

As for the two second delay issue, I see what you are boldly imputing, but, being serious, I don't think it is a factor in the now subconscious delay in me avoiding sarcasm in preference for a more amenable character. To stay on topic, I don't think Irish people are all that sarcastic (except for dcfcsteve of course), quite sarcastic yes, but nothing compared to the Aussies for example. I think there is a big, even if subtle for most people, difference between the two. I think the not so sarcastic version works a lot better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    No it isn't
    You are right. I said that the population of Galway City is slightly bigger than that of Limerick City and I just checked the Central Statistics Office website and I was wrong. The difference is just under 20,000 people.

Galway city pop 72,414
    Limerick city pop 52,539

http://www.cso.ie/statistics/popofea...tycity2006.htm

Thanks for bringing it to my attention. This is the third cencus in a row that has shown that Galway is bigger than Limerick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    I'll take it you know your history in relation to the boundary dispute with Clare and what officially and unofficially is classified as Limerick City then? Or is this just another classic case of Galway people being OBSESSED with Limerick

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ironically, Galway's population is slightly larger that Limerick's but Limerick has TWICE the amount of Gardai. This has been highlighted in the local media but the situation hasn't improved.

Back on the topic of Ireland being the friendliest place in the world, I'd love to know how the author came to that conclusion. Was it in the bars? Or restaurants? The taxi drivers? Guy serving coffee on the train? Medical professionals? Street cleaners? Buskers? Because if it was, then he probaly didn't encounter any Irish people.

Maybe he was arrested by the aforementioned cops who are friendly Irish people.
    well to be fair the cops are quite friendly, most of the ones in dublin on the beat seem very approachable and willing to help

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    I think the not so sarcastic version works a lot better.
    See - now you're just being sarcastic......!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    See - now you're just being sarcastic......!
    I can assure you I wasn't Steve. In my most humble opinion, derived from a remarkably intuitive understanding of human interactions, I believe the sarcastic, quite paradoxically, exhibit weakness when belittling their subjects. So there! Nah, only joking really, but if I can be mildly serious for a moment, I personally I try to avoid it as I generally prefer to combine the highest form of intellect with the highest form of wit. I think it's a much better duo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Pathetic, flawed one-upmanship
    The Limerick urban area is served by three garda stations Mayorstone (Northside), Roxboro (Southside) and Henry Street (city centre).

This urban area includes the "city" aswell as Castletroy, Monaleen, Raheen, Dooradoyle, Corbally, large swathes of Caherdavin, Moyross and Georgian Village (all county Limerick) aswell as Shannon Banks and Westbury (County Clare)

It has a population of roughly 120,000.

Which, given the very public problems with gang warfare in the citys estates renders your point about twice as many gardai a little bit stupid.

But shur carry on your obsession with being bigger than Limerick

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    look lads whip them out and get this over with, ye have been at it long enough.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    The Limerick urban area is served by three garda stations Mayorstone (Northside), Roxboro (Southside) and Henry Street (city centre).

This urban area includes the "city" aswell as Castletroy, Monaleen, Raheen, Dooradoyle, Corbally, large swathes of Caherdavin, Moyross and Georgian Village (all county Limerick) aswell as Shannon Banks and Westbury (County Clare)

It has a population of roughly 120,000.

Which, given the very public problems with gang warfare in the citys estates renders your point about twice as many gardai a little bit stupid.

But shur carry on your obsession with being bigger than Limerick

1, When you use a quote from me, don't tamper with and/or add words I didn't use. That's cheating and misleading to the readers.

2, The CSO figures are official population figures.

3, The amount of Garda stations in the city of Limerick city compared to Galway is not a measure of the size of the city.

4, Your point about areas outside Limerick being rural suburbs could be affiliated to any other urban area of Ireland including Galway, Cork, Sligo. Westport, Bray etc. We had a lad playing called Mick Lawlor from Shannon Banks, Co Clare- if you asked him where he was from, he'd say "Limerick city". My mate lives in Maynooth, Co Kildare but he thinks he lives in Dublin. .

5,, Look at my Posts History, I don't have an obsession with Limerick. I have even gone as far as to defend L37. Seriosly, check it out.

6. The topic is that Ireland is the friendliest place in the world.
    Any craic?
    Last edited by Paddyfield; 19/10/2007 at 11:41 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Paddyfield, Limerick is definetly bigger. The figure for Galways population even goes as far to include Barna which in my opinion is not in the city. As for their amount of police, well they probably need them in all fairness if their level of violent crime is any indicator. Galway has a very low rate of crime but we are getting a new station in Renmore which i presume means more guards.

As for the friendliest place in the world i certainly have not been in any country the population on the whole are friendlier. People in rural areas especially go out of their way to help you in my experience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    1, When you use a quote from me, don't tamper with and/or add words I didn't use. That's cheating and misleading to the readers.
    No problem even if the overly fussy tone made me

6. The topic is that Ireland is the friendliest place in the world.
    Any craic?
    People to tend to be friendly to, ahem, "western" outsiders

Amongst ourselves and with our friends from the east is an entirely different matter, IMO the whole cead mile failte thing is well past its sell by date at this stage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceirtlis View Post
    Paddyfield, Limerick is definetly bigger. The figure for Galways population even goes as far to include Barna which in my opinion is not in the city.
    Thank You!!

And that's coming from a Galway man.

As for their amount of police, well they probably need them in all fairness if their level of violent crime is any indicator.
    Also to cater for our larger size

But you're right, it's like Dodge City down here. Why, two people are shooting at me as I type

Galway has a very low rate of crime but we are getting a new station in Renmore which i presume means more guards.
    A bit fcukin rich today of all days

People in rural areas especially go out of their way to help you in my experience
    We frequent very different rural areas

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast