Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Worst Towns in Ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by baileban View Post
    Muinteoir - an bhfuil cead agam dul amach, mas e do thoil e??
    No feck off and sit down, bold boy

tbh there is a load of sh!t holes in Ireland but who cares?
    Last edited by sligoman; 18/10/2007 at 1:47 PM. Reason: merge

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Gort, what a dump.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    ...that's because we copped on ages ago that the entire cinema concept is a quaint hangover from the early 20th century. Unlike our Corkonian neighbours who keep at least one of these massive human pettrie dishes slap bang in the middle of a prime thoroughfare. You're simply matter of factually wrong on the other criticisms....

Oh Christ yeah ...we need MORE festivals, more I say, damn those who say less.
    Yeah the Galway Arts Festival, Cork Jazz and Film Festivals, Dublin Theatre Festivals all terrible events that drag people into the city centre.
    Imagine that having cinemas in the centre attracting people into the city to have a pint/and or a meal before heading off to the pics, what an awfully quaint 20th Century idea.
    As for the other facts being wrong check out the Bridgestone guide and Limerick City for restaraunts (pretty thin), as for Theatres tell me where? as for Concert venues besides the big pub Dolans again where? Where is your university located? Everything is in the suburbs.
    I'm up in Limerick a lot and I know the city well and this is not just some outsider saying these things, a lot of Limerick people have the same concerns about the lack of attractions in the city centre attracting people in. There is a big fear amongst businesses in the city centre about the "doughnut" effect that is happening.
    Cork City FC

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,247 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodquayBoy View Post
    my list of of 10 to avoid would be...Thurles
    Good call. God, Liberty Square is a pain in the hole at the best of times.

Think Longford's getting hard done by here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Bray is like Tuam only that Bray has double deckers buses.

Carlow is another waste of space. They should replace it with a motorway.

Balinaloe is just an obstacle to slow Dubs from getting to Galway too quickly.
    Nobody knows us, we don't care

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Shannon and Tuam. They are on a league of horrible that they deserve a category of their owm

Mind you CHarlestown in Mayo is terrible as well. Just a noisy road junciton really.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Its looks like Shannon is topping the group as worst town in Ireland.
    Thats it, i'm moving across the road into Newmarket.
    If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later

FORM IS TEMPORARY, CLASS IS PERMANENT

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Aren't you in Newmarket already, did you not get the official welcome letter from the mayor.
    I'll update this next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Tipperary Town.
    Ugly by day, dangerous by night and a complete traffic bottleneck populated by the type of person that should have the government scrambling to build a by-pass in case unsuspecting tourists happen across it by accident.
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by First View Post
    Aren't you in Newmarket already, did you not get the official welcome letter from the mayor.
    No i'm deffo in Ballycasey Shannon,not far from the home of Newtown,Newtown,tra la la,close to the border of Newmarket
    If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later

FORM IS TEMPORARY, CLASS IS PERMANENT

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smellyfeet View Post
    Its looks like Shannon is topping the group as worst town in Ireland.
    Thats it, i'm moving across the road into Newmarket.
    Considering just how much of a cultural wasteland Shannon is, it's really surprising it is not more famous for anti-social behaviour, crime and general knackery. I guess because of the history of high employment in the town with all the industry and business around it. Which just goes to show you that if people have a secure job, they won't go nuts.

Some of the towns mentioned here have improved a lot in recent years. Tubbercurry has been improving in the last few years as has Boyle. They are not really the kips they once were anymore. Ballymote still is a kip because they put all the emphasis on building parks and rec areas around the town and forgot that the town itself is in bits. Typical Gombeenism. Put a statue of a founder of Celtic in a park outside the town and get a minsterial unveiling for the meeja, while the storm drains in towns are overflowing with ****e and **** during a rainshower.

As for the boarded -up buildings in regional towns. Not the fault of the locals in most cases. They are usually leasehold properties and some 5th generation in-bred toff in Kent owns them and is demanding ground rents from the locals, who instead of renting them or fixing them up, just by-pass the absentee landlord system and build new places. You can't blame them. Anglo-Irish aristocrats are a major problem with town renewal in this country. Even if a local owns the lease, he is discouraged from investing in the buildings restoration as Lord Snot in Kent will either demand more ground rents, or a higher sale price. This is why towns in West such as Tubbercurry and Swinford were held back for decades. Little Lord Fonteroy types looking for money for new fox hunting hounds or something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    I'm amazed at this, how do people know Ballymote so well? Seriously It's off the beating track like, did ye take a wrong turn or what?
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

worst towns in ireland

Quote Originally Posted by DvB View Post
    The funniest thing about Sligo town is the fact the 'Town Bypass' road goes smack bang through the middle of the town, good to see someone in Sligo Co Co has a sense of humour at least!

Koh
    get your facts right its a inner relief road

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman View Post
    I'm amazed at this, how do people know Ballymote so well? Seriously It's off the beating track like, did ye take a wrong turn or what?
    Me mammy is from there and me granny is a resident in the nursing home beside the castle. So I know the place fairly well. Lots of nice people live there, but they have a weird concept of town renewal. Be like if DCC put statues in the Phoenix Park and left the city centre to rot.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by life long red View Post
    get your facts right its a inner relief road
    and it works brilliant too. One of the best roads of it's kind of any town in the country. The parts of the town they demolished to build it were no loss.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    A bus load of us went to Ballymote years ago to an underage disco. The disco was finishing up as the pubs were clearing. The beardy locals hearing there was young fellas from Sligo in the area decided to make their way down to the local hall and kick several s hites out of us. Good spot for underage pints years ago, though the locals do resemble the people from the film "The Hills have Eyes".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rebs23 View Post
    As for the other facts being wrong check out the Bridgestone guide and Limerick City for restaraunts (pretty thin), as for Theatres tell me where? as for Concert venues besides the big pub Dolans again where? Where is your university located? Everything is in the suburbs.
    I'm up in Limerick a lot and I know the city well and this is not just some outsider saying these things, a lot of Limerick people have the same concerns about the lack of attractions in the city centre attracting people in. There is a big fear amongst businesses in the city centre about the "doughnut" effect that is happening.

Reminds me of the time Gavin Zac was trying to convince me Limerick's riverside was run down

Btw pray tell what makes Limerick "greyer" than any other city in your experience (FFS )

May I suggest the next time you're up taking your nose out of the Bridgestone guide and having a look around

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rebs23 View Post
    Yeah the Galway Arts Festival, Cork Jazz and Film Festivals, Dublin Theatre Festivals all terrible events that drag people into the city centre.
    Imagine that having cinemas in the centre attracting people into the city to have a pint/and or a meal before heading off to the pics, what an awfully quaint 20th Century idea.
    Lets go through this, and I'll talk about Cork in relation to Limerick as I don't know Galway all that well and Dublin is the only actual city in Ireland if we're being picky about things (been out there 3 times, had a bad night 3 times).

Restaurants: I agree that Limerick isn't the best in relation to Dublin in the restaurant stakes, but Cork is not any better, so I assume Galway, Waterford etc. are the same? There are a handful of top quality restaurants in Limerick and quite a few decent ones, ditto Cork, in fact having lived in both cities I think Limerick edges Cork in quality terms as we have more decent restaurants, where as Cork's quality tends to be either Very Good and **** Poor.

Universities: Is a 15 minute bus ride out of the city, what else do you want? UCC is about the same distance from the city as LIT is, and Mary I and LSAD are practically in the centre of town. CIT on the other hand is in Mongolia

Theatres: The Millenium Theatre is over the bridge (5-10 minute drive) and UCH is that 20 minute drive we talked about, if people can't be bothered with those times tough, thats there loss.

Concert Venues: Dolans is one of the finest in the land, UCH has hosted some big concerts, and Baker Place is putting on a good few shows these days. The Castle has been used in the past for gigs and hopefully will be again as it is top quality there. In Cork you have the Savoy (which is a dump with bad sound) and where else again? The Brog serve the worst pints in Ireland and is a bad venue, and the other venue (same street as the Brog, name escapes me) is one of the worst set ups I've ever come across.

Cinema: The Kino in Cork is a good addition, albeit a cramped uncomfortable one, but the Gate is a pretty poor city centre cinema, and the Mahon Point one (despite being the best of Cork's cinemas) is in such a rough area no-one I know goes near it as the bus leaves you in the middle of a friggin council estate to walk the rest of the way. Limeick's cinemas are 15 and 10 minute drives out of the city centre respectively, again what else do you want? Thats perfectly reasonable

Festivals: Limerick has the best art festival outside of Dublin in EVA and the Riverfest weekenders are a great laugh. Cork's Jazz festival is over-rated and the film festival over-priced.

So I fail to see how Limerick is poorer in entertainment terms than Cork, and I assume Galway, Waterford etc. bar Dublin

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    So we have Shannon, Ballymote, Sligo, Athlone, Tuam, Carrick on Suir and Tipp Town as the worst towns in Ireland.

Somebody should set up a poll here with the top 20 and make the result official. We should include Dublin, Limerick, Cork and Galway for fairness sake!

Mods???? Any chance of poll on this?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I'd like to nominate Mountrath, purely because of the amount of time I get stuck there every time I drive back to Limerick
    In defense of Mounrath, it is the first place you can stop for for snacks on the way home from a match in Dublin
    The alternative is a few petrol stations before you join the motorway but I refuse to degrade myself by trying to purchase my wares through a petrol station window

Worst place for me is Cork, purely for logistics. I always get lost there and invariably spend ages in a confused mess of one-ways and wrong ways and "didn't I just come from that way"s. It remains the one place on earth I actually had to go home from without ever reaching the intended destination.
    Last edited by KevB76; 19/10/2007 at 5:41 PM.
    LTID

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast